• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I was just looking at a site that had a new, to me anyway, Medford and called it production. I have to asssume that it isn't hand made like their other knives. Does anyone have experience and any thoughts?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I was just looking at a site that had a new, to me anyway, Medford and called it production. I have to asssume that it isn't hand made like their other knives. Does anyone have experience and any thoughts?

You will find multiple definitions and opinions on what a custom knife is, and what a production knife is. In the purist sense of the definition for both production and custom.....A production knife will have multiple people involved in the build, usually with a assembly line type process/set up. Custom knives can have varying degrees of “custom”. Some makers make every last item from scratch and some purchase certain parts or steels from suppliers. Now you have the argument of the process or processes used for those items made. Example: Some blades are forged, some are made with a stock removal method. Some blades are hand ground, some blades are ground on a belt, and some are CNC cut. All of these processes, and the build is done by one person...the maker. Also it should be noted that there are mid-tech knives which usually is a hybrid between a custom model and a production model where the maker and multiple people are involved in the build. IMO,“custom” is used very loosely in today's knife world.

With Medford knives you have production knives defined by staying with the options that are offered for that particular model. You have the basic model, and then you have several options for that basic model. You can change the blade steel (D2, S35VN, or CPM-3V), you can change the type of hardware (stainless or titanium), and you can change the blade and handle finish. Note: Multiple people will be involved in the build of the knife. Any other changes to the knife makes it a custom. Example: sculpturing on the handles, inlays in the handle, special finishes, polished edges...etc. Note: Multiple people will be involved in the build of the knife, but it is considered a custom by Medford. I personally feel these knives while they may have some custom features are not customs in the purist sense. There is one other level of “custom” with Medford, and that is a knife that is built by Greg Medford himself.....usually a“one of kind” knife that will never be made or built again. My understanding is he only makes a couple of dozen or less a year.

Every company or maker has a different opinion in what the difference is between a production and a custom knife. Every company or maker uses different processes to get a end result. Understanding the processes each company or maker uses will help you determine in your eyes whether you are looking at a production or custom knife.

BTW: I'm a direct dealer with Medford Knives.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I'm hoping to handle one at BladeShow in a few weeks. I love my Praetorian T. Personally with a price of $390 I'd rather just pay more and buy a barely used Praetorian T or just order a new one.

Top Bottom