Undisclosed

987f1e13420e5cdb8ef3814472a6ddfc.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I could believe that there are situations where drone pilots did there job well, thereby saving some of those with boots on the ground. They were never in danger, but they might be justified in receiving some type of recognition for that. I have never been in the military and don't know enough about military citations to have an opinion on what that should be.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The Air Force Achievement Medal would be more than sufficient in most circumstances. For an exceptional job they could bump it up to a Commendation Medal.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The Air Force Achievement Medal would be more than sufficient in most circumstances. For an exceptional job they could bump it up to a Commendation Medal.

I could see that.

Bravery? Not so much.
    I think it does a disservice to the truly deserving.

:twocents:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm amused by the comment comparing a manned aircraft that's waaaay up high over a combat zone and a drone. SRSLY?

Something like an achievement medal, maybe even a 'commendation'-level medal for someone who does a great job over the course of a longer period. Or maybe they could just unlock a better airplane.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm amused by the comment comparing a manned aircraft that's waaaay up high over a combat zone and a drone. SRSLY?

Obviously the Major, who is butt hurt over not getting enough medals, has never been in a combat aircraft with missiles and triple A all over the place. For attack aircraft, there really is no "way up high" that is beyond missile range.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I thought that's why everyone joined the services; for the medals.

I could believe that there are situations where drone pilots did there job well, thereby saving some of those with boots on the ground. They were never in danger, but they might be justified in receiving some type of recognition for that. I have never been in the military and don't know enough about military citations to have an opinion on what that should be.

Officers don't join the service for medals, but everyone learns along the line that if they want to be promoted, they had better get as full a set of "gongs" as possible in order to be competitive with their peers.

Also, I've talked to a number of fighter pilots over the years and the last thing a fighter jock wants is to fly a desk. Flying a UAV is just as taxing, in its own way, as flying a fighter, even though the personal danger isn't as omnipresent as it is for a pilot or aircrew in combat operations. If the AF doesn't come up with some way to compensate UAV pilots for not getting to do what they joined up for - fly in actual hot fighter aircraft - they'll lose them and their expertise, so this idea, if it is accepted - more importantly if it is accepted by the UAV pilots - is a way to lessen the blow to the ego that comes of being a fighter pilot assigned to fly a UAV AND it may help to make them competitive for promotion.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Obviously the Major, who is butt hurt over not getting enough medals, has never been in a combat aircraft with missiles and triple A all over the place. For attack aircraft, there really is no "way up high" that is beyond missile range.

Well, except for the SR-71. :rockwoot:

But they only attack with cameras.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I could see that.

Bravery? Not so much.
    I think it does a disservice to the truly deserving.

:twocents:

Looks like it's proposed to be ranked just behind the lowest medal awarded for bravery in combat and just before the Soldier's Medal, which is the highest award for non-combat action. That sounds reasonable to me.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Looks like it's proposed to be ranked just behind the lowest medal awarded for bravery in combat and just before the Soldier's Medal, which is the highest award for non-combat action. That sounds reasonable to me.

Seems strange that it would rank anywhere near a bravery in combat medal... Or is there a big issue with operators tripping when they walk in and out of those control trailers in New Mexico?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Seems strange that it would rank anywhere near a bravery in combat medal... Or is there a big issue with operators tripping when they walk in and out of those control trailers in New Mexico?

There are a number of factors that I can see (although I don't know what thought went into the recommendation for the placement of this proposed award).

Although flying a UAV such as the Predator or some of the other larger UAVs is safer for the pilot, it is in many ways much harder to fly as there are limited visual cues - not even as many as flying under instrument conditions - and no physiological cues at all at present (that may change in the future).

Missions tend to be longer than are usual in fighter aircraft (no 2.5 hour sorties) and where I think fighter pilots may fly eight hour missions, they don't do so day after day.

I didn't read the article about UAV pilots and PTSD, but I can imagine it would be hard to watch allies and friendlies be killed while surveilling in an unarmed UAV and not be able to do anything to stop it

And, the type of people who make good fighter pilots probably have a really hard time adapting to the different mindset required to be a good UAV operator.

Even as we have "grade creep" in bureaucracies -including the military - the realities of competition for promotions have created a sort of "medal creep" as well. It used to be the Bronze Star was a combat-only medal awarded for valor in combat situations, but recently they have begun to be awarded for "valorous service" in commands where combat isn't experienced - but it might be. To some, this has had the effect of cheapening the "worth" of the award, but in reality it is a realistic bow to the perceived necessities for field grade officers and NCOs and above to be rewarded for exemplary performance (and to give them a better chance at promotion) which doesn't necessitate them doing something stupid like seeking out combat situations when that's not their job.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Since we currently have the Purple Heart for those wounded in the face of the enemy, how about the "Purple Wrist" for drone pilots that get carpal tunnel?

Top Bottom