• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    My son has a 2005 2500 Silverado with a blown 4L80e transmission. He pulled the transmission and took it to a small shop in Peru which had provided good service to one of his friends. Guy said it would be 2-3 weeks. That was 9 weeks ago. Monday last week, was promised it would be done by Friday, today the guy said it is only half done, and can't tell him how much longer it will be. If he wants he can come by and pick it up unassembled and pay for the work he has done. We are dumbfounded and are at a loss of what to do. I can't believe any reputable shop would want to touch this without completely starting over, so paying for 1/2 the work is money down the drain but may be cheaper than finding another salvage unit and starting over.

I know there are lots of hot rod/car guys here. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I feel we've been patient/understanding as long as we can. He has been getting by on a totally worn out Honda he purchased to get him through a power train upgrade (he rebuilt the engine, and got a reman transfer case), but we only planned on 6 weeks for all that. I've never considered suing anyone, but this about has me there, but if we sue I don't trust anything that he puts together, and who knows how much longer it will be tied up in court!

Looking forward to the wisdom of INGO.
    --Rick

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Start getting annoying. Call every single day, and half done? It takes maybe 4 hours tops to fully rebuild a 4l80e thats already pulled. This guy is without a doubt only fixing whats wrong and not completely rebuilding it. No competent mechanic would tear a transmission apart without having prts on hand to put it back together unless they were trying to diagnose it. Is there any warranty on this transmission? At this point it wouldnt be out of line to ask what the hell is taking so long in my opinion.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If it were me? I'd tell him that the transmission will be done this Friday or else I'd see him in court. Put the fear of God in him. But I'm a grumpy old man.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    It takes maybe 4 hours tops to fully rebuild a 4l80e that's already pulled.

... This is true.

This guy probably doesn't know how to rebuild a transmission, and was hoping to pick it up on the fly. I think I would offer to pick it up at the end of the week, with the understanding that if it isn't done, I would offer to not pay him anything.

This mechanic accepted a job he wasn't able to complete.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    I think I would cut my losses with this "mechanic". Look to see what a new and rebuilt one would cost before you go. See if he even has your old tranny and what you owe him for the supposed work he has done. Base your decision on the info you have. Like the others have said I don't think he is rebuilding it and probably doesn't know how to. Let us know how it turns out. Sure hope for the best for you and your son.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Not a chance at all i would pay this mechanic for "work" after that time frame. Ill take the parts of it and tell him where he can ... welll... you know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ... This is true.

This guy probably doesn't know how to rebuild a transmission, and was hoping to pick it up on the fly. I think I would offer to pick it up at the end of the week, with the understanding that if it isn't done, I would offer to not pay him anything.

This mechanic accepted a job he wasn't able to complete.
    This.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ask him for a printed out list of what work has supposedly been done, don't just take his word for it.
    I'm afraid even if you get the transmission back it may be missing parts also. A credible shop will be able to tell if the work he says he did was actually done and if it was done right.
    Crappy situation, may have settle in court

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    If you decide to take him to court, you seem to have a good case. Here is some advice based on my experience. Small claims court is biased to the plaintiff in these situations. Take advantage of that. Document, document, document. Log all calls, conversations, payments, documents from mechanic. Accurate, timely, and detailed records go a long way convincing a judge who is in the right. Emphasize when presenting the case before the judge that this person represented himself/his business as the "professional". Be prepared for the defendant to present false information. Be truthful, honest and above all remain calm and collected when presenting your case. If you decide to hire a lawyer, in my experience, when you get to court you go to the head of the line. Otherwise be prepared to wait your turn. I was always on the defendant side of these things. If the plaintiff didn't show, it was an automatic continuance. If I (the business) didn't show up, it was automatic judgement for the plaintiff ( I won every case, mainly due to documentation). Also in my experience, be prepared to wait a very long time to get any money or any other form of compensation. I stopped taking anyone to small claims court, usually wasn't worth the time/effort. I would just go the the county prosecuting attorney. Might be another option for you. Good luck.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Even if you get the truck back, I'd be VERY concerned about it's long term reliability. This guy is clearly BAD at his job.

And FWIW, it's been years ago, when the 4L80E in my old Suburban failed, a factory rebuilt one from GM was the most cost effective fix. Ordered it from a local dealer. When it came in packaged in a large blow molded plastic case, I brought them my old one. They got the rebuilt one out of the case, threw my junk one in it and shipped it back. I went home and threw the new one in. Easy peasy.

I do remember calling several dealerships. Most quoted me whatever list price was in their parts book. But the one I bought it from sold it for a couple hundred dollars about their price.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If it isn't ready on Friday I would definitely get it out of there. I would also tell him he won't get a dime out of me. He was going to get paid for doing a job, not for jacking you around for two months.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    First, is this an actual Transmission specialty shop or a general repair shop that also does transmissions? General repair, yeah likely the guy may be in over his head. Most sub-contract the actual rebuild to a trans shop or buy a reman unit, a very few actually have a trans guy who used to do it at a trans shop. Anybody else there are just so many different units now unless you do it every day they are not going to be much good unless they limit themselves to a few common units.

Specialty trans shop, since I work at one (not in Peru BTW) I can tell you the problem may be out of his control. Since most transmission rebuilders don't have X-Ray vision, the only way to know what parts need replaced is to tear down the trans and go through it thoroughly inspecting each part, checking valves for free movement, testing solenoids, etc. The builder then makes a list of the parts he needs, and of course there is always the possibility he missed something and discovers he needs more during reassembly. Now, he calls up his trans parts suppliers and attempts to order the needed parts.

Note I said "attempts", with all the COVID shutdowns and transport delays many parts are out of stock with no ETA on restock. Something as simple as a filter they have a 5 part limit on! Specifically for the 4L80E our shop just got one in for a rebuild and the basic rebuild kit is out of stock everywhere. Without new seals and gaskets and clutches, you are dead in the water. Some older and imported trans the parts are simply not available at all. Even car Dealerships have massive parts backorders.

We have had delays of several weeks before a needed part appears, and trust me no shop wants a lift (or workbench) tied up with a car/trans that's going nowhere so the work gets turned out as quickly as possible. Right now is the slow time for shops anyway, all the CC bills from Christmas are being paid down and tax refunds are still a few weeks off for most people. We are just now starting to see more cars come in, likely from early filers. Once the COVID Relief Checks start I expect a surge then as well.

BTW, pulling and installing your own trans is going to save you a few hundred bucks, at least at my shop, but in the long run it's more advantageous to have the shop do the whole job. Warranty mainly, the cooler in the rad is contaminated whenever a trans fails and cleaning it is a multi-hour process with a hot flusher machine that costs thousands. Due to this a carry-in unit gets a 90 day warranty, units we do the whole job get 2 years with an option for 3 for a couple hundred more.

The other reason is any mistake you make is on you, not us. I have replaced the broken pump on dozens of carry in units when the customer failed to get the torque converter fully back and broke the pump gears or rotor.

And finally you have the issue of finding people to work, both at the shop level and on up the supply chain. With the "extra" COVID relief money added to normal unemployment, actually going to work for the same wage you had when you were laid off would be a pay cut.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    First, is this an actual Transmission specialty shop or a general repair shop that also does transmissions? General repair, yeah likely the guy may be in over his head. Most sub-contract the actual rebuild to a trans shop or buy a reman unit, a very few actually have a trans guy who used to do it at a trans shop. Anybody else there are just so many different units now unless you do it every day they are not going to be much good unless they limit themselves to a few common units.

Specialty trans shop, since I work at one (not in Peru BTW) I can tell you the problem may be out of his control. Since most transmission rebuilders don't have X-Ray vision, the only way to know what parts need replaced is to tear down the trans and go through it thoroughly inspecting each part, checking valves for free movement, testing solenoids, etc. The builder then makes a list of the parts he needs, and of course there is always the possibility he missed something and discovers he needs more during reassembly. Now, he calls up his trans parts suppliers and attempts to order the needed parts.

Note I said "attempts", with all the COVID shutdowns and transport delays many parts are out of stock with no ETA on restock. Something as simple as a filter they have a 5 part limit on! Specifically for the 4L80E our shop just got one in for a rebuild and the basic rebuild kit is out of stock everywhere. Without new seals and gaskets and clutches, you are dead in the water. Some older and imported trans the parts are simply not available at all. Even car Dealerships have massive parts backorders.

We have had delays of several weeks before a needed part appears, and trust me no shop wants a lift (or workbench) tied up with a car/trans that's going nowhere so the work gets turned out as quickly as possible. Right now is the slow time for shops anyway, all the CC bills from Christmas are being paid down and tax refunds are still a few weeks off for most people. We are just now starting to see more cars come in, likely from early filers. Once the COVID Relief Checks start I expect a surge then as well.

BTW, pulling and installing your own trans is going to save you a few hundred bucks, at least at my shop, but in the long run it's more advantageous to have the shop do the whole job. Warranty mainly, the cooler in the rad is contaminated whenever a trans fails and cleaning it is a multi-hour process with a hot flusher machine that costs thousands. Due to this a carry-in unit gets a 90 day warranty, units we do the whole job get 2 years with an option for 3 for a couple hundred more.

The other reason is any mistake you make is on you, not us. I have replaced the broken pump on dozens of carry in units when the customer failed to get the torque converter fully back and broke the pump gears or rotor.

And finally you have the issue of finding people to work, both at the shop level and on up the supply chain. With the "extra" COVID relief money added to normal unemployment, actually going to work for the same wage you had when you were laid off would be a pay cut.

Great advice here

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    IMO
    In the future if the need arises a low mile Junkyard part is a great alternative. You typically get a 90 day warranty.
    The 4L80E was discontinued by GM in 2013, being replaced by a six speed unit. Finding a low miles used unit is going to be hard to do, and ANY transmission that has 125,000 miles on it is likely going to need a rebuild soon. It's a bell curve, of course, with some new cars never making it out of the dealer parking lot before the trans fails, others last a quarter million miles or more if the owner maintains it and avoids "fast and furious" type driving. But if you were to look at our invoices for first-time rebuilds the vast majority are going to be within a few thousand miles of 125,000 in either direction. If you find a working one with 140,000 or more on it, it's likely already been rebuilt. Easy way to tell is the valve body gaskets, OEM are usually unmarked while aftermarket (even if they are the OEM supplier) are festooned with their name and logos.

Not that you shouldn't call around, sometimes you get lucky, just be aware what "low miles" means in relation to trans life. And clean the cooler, or better yet replace the rad or bypass it with an add-on one.

This is what we give carry-in customers to clean their cooler with, flush both directions and on the last bit of cleaner in the can, catch the solvent coming out of the cooler in a few layers of clean paper towel. If you find ANY debris, you need more flushing. We use a hot flush machine, and some coolers even after a full day of flushing are still dumping out debris. New rad time for those.

Amazon product ASIN B001DKNH8I

Top Bottom