• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I received a message from my wife today while at work.. she said: I went out to feed horses and the amazon truck was slowing down and pulling into our driveway. Our dogs except the new house horse AKA Abby the mastiff know the command HOUSE and they all run to the house, most of the time..
    so all three springers are circling the now parked amazon truck and the mastiff is dragging my wife (leashed.. the dog not my wife):) toward the amazon truck..
    the three recon dogs are still barking at the truck while circling. Wife yells again and the three springers head towards the house and so does the house horse and in they go. Amazon driver exits the house and says: "Wow that is the biggest dog I have ever seen". Wife says " the ferocious one is coming up behind you" This dude is paralyzed with fear and then spins around with his eyes as big as saucers and there is my dachshund/terrier mix that is about 15 pounds wet.. in the process when he turned he knocked the little dog off the porch.
    Wife says he let out a big breath and got off the porch and picked the little one up and had a big smile on his face and the look of relief and they had a good laugh. I wonder if the drivers swap stories? This one might make it..
    Also the mastiff is doing well with the pack (she makes 5 dogs) and even the little dog loves her and is her buddy. Grand kids were over last night and Abby the mastiff was in heaven.. such good dogs! C070A66E-4534-47C0-9F91-B9DD53848A08.jpeg 603AFA89-E885-4760-998D-0EF8F42CE3BB.jpeg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Personally I love it when I pull up to somebody’s house. I’m usually disappointed when people come out and run the dogs off. I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 less than pleasant interactions with peoples dogs. Usually a little sniffing and a little head patting and you’ve got a new friend.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Personally I love it when I pull up to somebody’s house. I’m usually disappointed when people come out and run the dogs off. I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 less than pleasant interactions with peoples dogs. Usually a little sniffing and a little head patting and you’ve got a new friend.
    None of ours are more than barkers. They will be in your lap if would let them and we are trying to break the habit of circling vehicles and just sitting when a car pulls in.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    None of ours are more than barkers. They will be in your lap if would let them and we are trying to break the habit of circling vehicles and just sitting when a car pulls in.
    Yeah the circling would make me a little nervous, I’d definitely hate to run over somebody’s dog, I don’t mind the barking, they’re just doing their job. I’ve only had one I couldn’t sweet talk and she was a beautiful German shepherd, and she was not happy about me being in her barn lot :lmfao:
    I had to call the customer about that one, the lady said oh she won’t bite. I said well she’s sitting here at the steps of my truck and she would beg to differ!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A good friend of mine had a dog that was like a snow white lab sized dog that when you pulled up to their house, she didn't bark, she didn't wag her tail, she just stood there outside the driver's door and looked right at you.

People who didn't know her were typically afraid to get out of the car because they thought she'd bite 'em.

Funny thing was when they took a chance and opened their car door, she'd practically dive in the car and lick them to death and was one of the friendliest dogs I ever saw. LOL

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    A good friend of mine had a dog that was like a snow white lab sized dog that when you pulled up to their house, she didn't bark, she didn't wag her tail, she just stood there outside the driver's door and looked right at you.

People who didn't know her were typically afraid to get out of the car because they thought she'd bite 'em.

Funny thing was when they took a chance and opened their car door, she'd practically dive in the car and lick them to death and was one of the friendliest dogs I ever saw. LOL
    Labs can go either way, they will either eat you alive or they will be your best friend, there’s no way to tell until it happens!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Labs can go either way, they will either eat you alive or they will be your best friend, there’s no way to tell until it happens!
    And to add to this, she got knocked up by a German Shepard from somewhere in the area (they lived in the country), and had a litter pups.
    The male pup they kept, grew up to have the same temperament his mother had.

He was really friendly to everybody, just like his mother, which is unusual as most of the German Shepherds I've crossed paths with usually hate everybody but a handful of people.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    And to add to this, she got knocked up by a German Shepard from somewhere in the area (they lived in the country), and had a litter pups.
    The male pup they kept, grew up to have the same temperament his mother had.

He was really friendly to everybody, just like his mother, which is unusual as most of the German Shepherds I've crossed paths with usually hate everybody but a handful of people.
    Shepherds are definitely leary of strangers, you can tell they are definitely making a plan on the best way to hide your body until they get to know you. One of the most aggressive dogs I had the displeasure of meeting was a yellow lab. He was just plain nasty. I had a black lab when I was younger, he was very gentle and loving dog, and I was really surprised when my landlord told me he tried to bite him when he walked across the back yard

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Mine are just barkers, but you can believe the amount of noise 4 Corgies can make, especially when they start howling! :runaway:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I usually call mine off because they like to jump on people because they're so happy to see you. If you make the mistake of taking the slimy tennis ball from their mouths and throwing it for them "Just Once", well, you're on your own. :rockwoot:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I usually call mine off because they like to jump on people because they're so happy to see you. If you make the mistake of taking the slimy tennis ball from their mouths and throwing it for them "Just Once", well, you're on your own. :rockwoot:
    I’ve got enough dog experience that I know better, especially when I’m working :lmfao:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm an animal lover, but with the dogs you have running around and know Amazon is coming and there, shouldn't you put the dogs inside before the guy even stops? I certainly would of had them contained already. Regardless of your house commands,(you said it took several attempts) your just asking for trouble.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If anyone knocks on my door my lab will bark and growl like he is not only going to eat them alive but track down their family and friends as well. Yet when he's in the yard and merely hears a strange noise, he'll run for the door and wait anxiously to be let in for safety.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We have a minpin / jack Russell mix. She barks at everyone who comes in the door..including mama and I.
    If I walk out the door to get the mail , when I come back inside she barks like she doesn't know me

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Shepherds are definitely leary of strangers, you can tell they are definitely making a plan on the best way to hide your body until they get to know you. One of the most aggressive dogs I had the displeasure of meeting was a yellow lab. He was just plain nasty. I had a black lab when I was younger, he was very gentle and loving dog, and I was really surprised when my landlord told me he tried to bite him when he walked across the back yard
    I always laugh to my myself when the owner of a dog tells me how friendly and "wouldn't hurt a fly" they are. LOL
    The true test of a "friendly" dog is how it acts when it knows it's owner isn't watching.

My late father (born 1908) who grew up on a working farm around many dogs, working ones and pets, and owned a small independent oil products company from the mid 1930's to 1991, and his main job was driving the tank wagon and making deliveries to farmers told me "Never trust a German Shepard".

I've found him to be right on this for the most part.
    Though I've met a few German Shepherds that are playful and friendly, because they have enough DISCERNMENT to sense friend from foe.
    But most don't.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I always laugh to my myself when the owner of a dog tells me how friendly and "wouldn't hurt a fly" they are. LOL
    The true test of a "friendly" dog is how it acts when it knows it's owner isn't watching.

My late father (born 1908) who grew up on a working farm around many dogs, working ones and pets, and owned a small independent oil products company from the mid 1930's to 1991, and his main job was driving the tank wagon and making deliveries to farmers told me "Never trust a German Shepard".

I've found him to be right on this for the most part.
    Though I've met a few German Shepherds that are playful and friendly, because they have enough DISCERNMENT to sense friend from foe.
    But most don't.
    No way!

1679520444476.png 1679520459015.png

Top Bottom