• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    I may be getting a Bushmaster Lower in a Deal , and would like to know what more I need to complete the weapon , is there anything more than just buying an upper , and what prices and chambers should I look for ?

I know absolutley nothing about these things and feel like a first grader with this subject .

I know you guy's have alot of knowledge and that's why I'm asking you .

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you are getting a "complete" Bushmaster lower then the only thing you'll need is a complete upper (complete for an upper means that it would include the bolt carrier group and the charging handle).

If your lower is not a complete, but rather a stripped lower, then there are quite a few parts you would need to pick up to finish the lower. A stripped Bushmaster lower is worth about $95, a complete mil-spec type Bushmaster lower is going to be roughly $300 (both prices are retail).

As for what chambering you should look for in an upper, that is totally up to you as there are many to choose from so you'd need to consider what you want to use the gun for and then pick the appropriate AR15 compatible caliber to accomplish your goals. Prices on uppers runs from $400 to well over $1500 depending on the caliber, quality of components, options, etc. Lots of variations so lots of price differences.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Thank you melensdad , so this being a complete lower then I just need a complete upper to have a Complete ar-15 .

I think that a 556 upper will shoot 223 , is this correct ?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, your AR will be able to shoot both. 5.56 might work a bit better tho. Some .223 can be a little underpowered and give a few " short stroke " issues. If you have any bolt actions, might read the manuals before you shoot any 5.56 in them tho. Good chance they won't be rated for the hotter pressures. As for the upper, take your time and get what you want. They have many different cool configurations out there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thank you melensdad , so this being a complete lower then I just need a complete upper to have a Complete ar-15 .

I think that a 556 upper will shoot 223 , is this correct ?

Yes, and you've got confirmation of that from others who have posted. But let me also add that a 223 WYLDE chamber will shoot 5.56 or 223 just like a 5.56 marked chamber will shoot 5.56 or 223. But as others have stated, a 223 chamber is NOT safe for 5.56 and a 223 chamber is NOT a 223 WYLDE chamber.

If you can, get an upper with a 223 WYLDE chamber as they are reputed to be more accurate than miltary spec 5.56 chambers. I don't currently have one but the reports on the WYLDE chamber as being the best of both worlds seem to be reputable.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I just built my first ar too. I have not fired it yet though, cannot wait. I used rra complete upper that I picked up off of ingo classifieds. Chambered in .223 wylde. Just put together this weekend and already looking for deal on parts to start another. Go for it, it's not as complicated as it sounds. I was intimidated at first but it's kind of simple really.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Yes, and you've got confirmation of that from others who have posted. But let me also add that a 223 WYLDE chamber will shoot 5.56 or 223 just like a 5.56 marked chamber will shoot 5.56 or 223. But as others have stated, a 223 chamber is NOT safe for 5.56 and a 223 chamber is NOT a 223 WYLDE chamber.

If you can, get an upper with a 223 WYLDE chamber as they are reputed to be more accurate than miltary spec 5.56 chambers. I don't currently have one but the reports on the WYLDE chamber as being the best of both worlds seem to be reputable.

I just built my first ar too. I have not fired it yet though, cannot wait. I used rra complete upper that I picked up off of ingo classifieds. Chambered in .223 wylde. Just put together this weekend and already looking for deal on parts to start another. Go for it, it's not as complicated as it sounds. I was intimidated at first but it's kind of simple really.

I have never heard of the .223 wylde untinl now , I'm going to do alot of reading before my build .

TY again for all the help !:D

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Check out AR15.Com Look at the FAQ at the tops of the pages. Lots of good reading and info. I didn't know a thing about them last year when I started. It really isn't that hard. you'll be a pro in a month

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Brownells also has a great video series that takes you through building an AR-15 from start to finish. Even though you may pick up a complete upper, the know how of how your rifle assembles is great to know.

Top Bottom