• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I read that Joe Manchin has signaled he might go along with “modifying” the filibuster rule...
    I don't think it is as bad as it sounds. He said he favors returning to the way it used to be when someone or a group taking turns actually had to speak on order to filibuster as opposed to simply declaring a filibuster and moving to something else. It requires more work but also entirely shuts down the Senate which could be an improvement for our purposes.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don't think it is as bad as it sounds. He said he favors returning to the way it used to be when someone or a group taking turns actually had to speak on order to filibuster as opposed to simply declaring a filibuster and moving to something else. It requires more work but also entirely shuts down the Senate which could be an improvement for our purposes.
    So we have the Senate!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So we have the Senate!
    No, but we can slow it down a bit.

The problem goes along with the joke about the wiseass lawyer getting pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign. He immediately starts arguing that he slowed down and that should be good enough. After a few rounds of argument he tells the cop that if he can convince him that there is a significant difference between slowing down and stopping he will pay the ticket without more argument.

The cop took his baton and started beating the hell out of the lawyer and said "Do you want me to stop or just slow down?"

This is where we are now. The filibuster may slow the beating somewhat but isn't going to stop it.

MCINDIANA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan City
    We do not have the Senate. It is an even split with Harris pushing the vote to the Dems. Also, the Dems usually vote party line. Plus the liberal Republicans will side with the Dems. Like it or not, the Dems will be winning most all of the battles. The Dems will be taking away our second amendment rights one step at a time.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We do not have the Senate. It is an even split with Harris pushing the vote to the Dems. Also, the Dems usually vote party line. Plus the liberal Republicans will side with the Dems. Like it or not, the Dems will be winning most all of the battles. The Dems will be taking away our second amendment rights one step at a time.

Kut and friends will be along any time now to explain how foolish you are to fret over this.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sure, why not? They seem to do whatever they feel like and then judge shop for support. Maybe the SCOTUS might disagree but who knows anymore. Not even the Shadow knows this one!
    Stupid question I guess. bidet DID promise to pack SCOTUS

Top Bottom