Massad Ayoob says don't release slide on empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well, I still don’t do it with any of my striker fired pistols either. You can do what you’d like, and I’m not condemning you. Just can’t bring myself to do it….
    Pretty much where I'm at. Might be fine, probably is. I just don't do it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son shoots like that with his Ruger Vaquero 45colt. He actually hits really good doing that out to 10yds. I was surprised by that. I always considered it movie garbage.
    He also uses his Vaquero for his edc gun.

20200702_215520.jpg
    He just put 500rds through it in this picture several years ago. His fingers are dirty from it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    IMO, this is more of a 1911 specific thing, and usually with trigger work.

There's plenty of other firearms with some of the same potential reasons you wouldn't want to do it, but I can't think of a striker fired action this would be bad for. If it has a hammer and you like how the trigger feels, I'd probably avoid doing it.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I try not to break stuff on purpose... but if you're making a firearm out of steel, and it can't withstand the slide being dropped, how the hell is it gonna withstand the pressure of being fired?

I don't sweat it.
    It's not like I do it all night every night using an empty gun as a fidget spinner...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I try not to break stuff on purpose... but if you're making a firearm out of steel, and it can't withstand the slide being dropped, how the hell is it gonna withstand the pressure of being fired?

I don't sweat it.
    It's not like I do it all night every night using an empty gun as a fidget spinner...

When it's being fired it's usually feeding a round, which is going to be far less shock to the hammer and thus sear.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was...

I question the ability of a weapon to hold all that pressure inside, if it can NOT withstand the slide slamming forward under spring pressure.

But isn't that kind of like thinking because the piston in your engine can withstand a given pressure, the thermostat housing can as well?

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    This should be one of the easier things to analyze. Take close up pictures of the parts claimed to be damaged. Then after a number of cycles, take close up pictures. Have not seen that done to prove anything.

I don't recall 1911 failures left and right because of slide dropping in the military. I am sure if it were an issue, it would have cropped up in its long and widespread use as an issued military weapon.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I don't sweat it.
    My 10mm 1911 has a 24lb recoil spring on it to try and help out when I shoot my full power 10mm loads.
    If I let it slam shut without it picking up a round it would slam pretty hard. In that case i can see where Massad is coming from.
    I really never let the slide slam on an empty chamber with any of my Semi-auto. I've never heard of it hurting anything before today, it just doesn't make sense to do so.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    With some 1911's out there over 100 years old and still working, how long before this destructive practice comes to fruition and will I live long enough to see it?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    On my Dan Wesson Valor Commander I would not do it.

ON G&$(s and other striker fired stuff who cares. Plastic pistols are cheap I can get a G(#)k for like $395.

Due to peer pressure and poor performance I have switched from .45 to 9mm and now use striker fired stuff.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

ON G&$(s and other striker fired stuff who cares. Plastic pistols are cheap I can get a G(#)k for like $395.

Due to peer pressure and poor performance I have switched from .45 to 9mm and now use striker fired stuff.
    Your poor poor man. I’ll hug my steel .45’s tonight for you.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

Please elaborate. Poor performance from .45 ACP ammuntion? That does not compute. Poor performance from a full-size 5" 1911? Possibly, but that is fixable. Poor performance from the shooter? Also fixable. Help us understand. And if it is the shooter, I don't see changing caliber as an improvement.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The actual question on to do or not to do this is the answer to many of our common sense issues today.

Mistreating any equipment is not the best policy.

New gunowners watch us closely and we have a responsibility to display good gunhandling. It is apparent that many gun owners are witness to the misuse on the line and on social media.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom