• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I don't see how an off peak membership would work, you could have access from 8-11, but there would be no way to effectively enforce it.

There are lots of different ways to fill the open spots each year. It is my understanding that the board is volunteer & not compensated, I believe they have done a good job on making it fair to those who really want it. There would be easier ways for them to do it without taking grief for it.

If memory serves me correctly, in years past new members had to be referred by an existing member. If this was true then they have eased up quite a bit.

If I was not already a member I would not be opposed to "camping out" for 24 hours if necessary, it is a one time sacrifice. Full disclosure I live & work only minutes from the range so it is very convenient for my use. I can understand why those who would only use it a few times a month would not want to go to extreme lengths.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    An auction? While a member now pays $100/yr, would we see potential members shelling out $500-1000 (or more) to get one of those 10 memberships? IMHO, a random drawing of all submissions AFTER the existing openings have been filled using first come, first served seems a better way to go. You could limit entries to all who showed up that day, to (hopefully) reward those who made the effort.

I can understand where 250 new limited memberships might have been over-optimistic, so how about just 50 limited memberships, split into even/odd and off-peak hours (8-11, 2-dusk) for 6 months. Those memberships would be offered via random drawing once the existing slots have been filled via first come, first served. At the end of the 6 months, if things look good, go with another 50 limited/off-peak. If access appears crowded or conflicts arise, revoke those 50.

IMHO, the facilities can easily support 50-100 more members with even/odd and off-peak hours access.
    ===========================================================================

Gentlemen...all these suggestions for limited memberships, on/off hours etc. etc. to expand our total membership would require more ability and/or gate management equipment than we are interested in pursuing. Our electronic gate opens and closes when RFID equipped gate cards are passed by the reader, a system that is simple and easy to maintain. All cards are equal from an access standpoint until a given card is deactivated. Our facility is unmanned, so human differentiation of one degree of access card vs. another can't happen that way either. 50 shades of membership will not be an option.

We are a PRIVATE club with adequate funding to operate and make continous facility improvements. We don't "owe" it to anyone to expand access beyond the current 500 memberships. Actually, our 500 family limit HAS been expanded several times over the past 12 years from approx. 125 memberships, as range additions and other improvements allowed. We feel we have it right where we want it now. We are never crowded and we plan to keep it that way.

Our all volunteer Board members are shooters too, and we hate to wait in line!!!

As in years past, we have listened to "some" suggestions and decided to keep our "first come/first served" approach for new members on New Year's day with the following process improvements:

1) number of available new member openings will be posted several days before Jan 1 on our website and on INGO, so folks can weigh their chances
    2) 100 yard access road off Burton Lane to the club gate will be closed off at Burton Lane with barricades as of 6 pm Dec. 31st. Sheriff's deputies will be on hand
    3) 10 additional memberships will be auctioned off, allowing anyone who wants in badly enough to buy their way in, with the excess proceeds beyond normal new member fees and auction expenses going to the 4H Shooting Sports (not our treasury). Folks who gain access via the auction approach will renew in future years at the same rate as everyone else.

Further detail on new membership process and the auction concept will be provided around Dec. 1 via our website and INGO

thanks,
    Roger, VP for the Board

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    ===========================================================================

Gentlemen.... 50 shades of membership will not be an option. ....

thanks,
    Roger, VP for the Board

LOL, As I drank My Mountain Dew, that little comment almost cost me a computer monitor if I had not turned my head in time ... :)

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    We feel we have it right where we want it now.

Well, that's how the Board feels. How do the other members feel, or is this not a question open to debate by the entire membership?

I've never had to wait for a spot to shoot, so it seems to me that more members could be added. The money could be used for an improved access system (one with unique RFIDs, tracking visits and time on site, etc.). An improved access system could answer questions about how the facilities are being used.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Well, that's how the Board feels. How do the other members feel, or is this not a question open to debate by the entire membership?

I've never had to wait for a spot to shoot, so it seems to me that more members could be added. The money could be used for an improved access system (one with unique RFIDs, tracking visits and time on site, etc.). An improved access system could answer questions about how the facilities are being used.

=================================================================================================
    This seems like a strange input coming FROM a member. If we lined up our 500 member families and asked them if they wanted to add MORE members with the potential of MORE competition for range space when they come out to shoot, I think we can guess the answer.

For what it's worth, no RFID based gate system I am aware of can produce data on HOW a facility is being used once the member passes thru the gate. It CAN indicate which member checked in and out and at what specific times if we want to dig into the electronic logs. BUT, whether that member is picking mushrooms, going for a walk in the woods, hunting, using his/her handgun or sighting in a rifle, there is no way to know HOW he/she are using the facility and frankly we don't care.

We do know which ranges are being used most heavily by first hand experience, how fast we chew thru target stands and how often we must empty spent casing buckets on specific ranges. From time to time we do survey members (as we are doing right now with the 2015 renewal forms) as to how they are using the club and let that info guide future investments/expansions.

We like to keep it simple and most members seem quite happy with how the Board manages things.

Members are welcome to come to our Board meetings (every other month) and make inputs/file a complaint etc....but our experience is that we see fewer than 10 members over a calendar year of meetings. We take that as confirmation we are pretty much on track with member expectations for a well run club. We also have an email address which I monitor and respond to, and that is another means for member input and questions.

NO one likes to have to wait for a shooting lane, especially on weekends when their time is limited. Again, we have our current membership numbers about where we want them so shooting lanes are always open and this makes for happy members.

cheers,
    Roger, VP for the Board

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I like it the way it is, sorry INGO just being honest.

Most of my range trips are mid-day & only last 30-60 minutes, if I had to wait on a lane many times I wouldn't be able to shoot.

Also, if I had to share a range they would see how bad of a shot I am ;)

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I like it the way it is, sorry INGO just being honest.

Most of my range trips are mid-day & only last 30-60 minutes, if I had to wait on a lane many times I wouldn't be able to shoot.

Also, if I had to share a range they would see how bad of a shot I am ;)

I know right!!!!! that's why I like that pistol range way in the back. I can get really close to the target then. haha! :)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Let me say up front I would like to be a member but have zero potential under the current system. Having said that, if you need evidence to support the club's membership policy all you need to do is go to one of the free and open-to-the-public DNR ranges and look at the messes they have to deal with. Before the renovation, Crosley was trashed on a regular basis. I understand they now have range personnel on site most of the time. The only other DNR range I've been to is Wilbur Wright and it was a mudhole from firing line to target line. Keep your membership limit Martinsville!

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am a member and was there today. The grounds and access roads were well maintained, more shooters than I normally encounter but was because of great weather I am sure. I am happy with the way the club is ran and believe in the old adage "if it aint broke don't fix it".
    Keep up the good work Roger and the board.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am a member and was there today. The grounds and access roads were well maintained, more shooters than I normally encounter but was because of great weather I am sure. I am happy with the way the club is ran and believe in the old adage "if it aint broke don't fix it".
    Keep up the good work Roger and the board.

I was there too, along with indy1919a4. Great day to be at the range! I like the finely crushed limestone they've added in the bench areas too. Makes it a lot easier to find your brass instead of having to hunt through the coarser gravel. I like it the way it is too. Not having to wait, even on the weekends, is great and the facilities are just top notch I think. I had been as a guest a couple of times before joining. When I saw them working on the 300 yard range, that sealed it for me. :yesway:

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Dang, I was going to go shooting today but the warm weather demanded I make powder from the last of my lawn's leaves so I spent hours driving my tractor in circles pulverizing the stuff.

It would have been nice to meet a few other INGO folks at the range...especially the ones who are happy club members. Glad you liked the new "quarter minus" fine stone base under the shooting houses. We were so happy with that material in the 300 M range house that we just had it added to the other houses in the past 2 weeks! After it gets compressed by walking on it, it's almost like concrete and does make brass retrieval a whole lot easier.

cheers,
    Roger

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    This is a sore subject with me. Last year I think there was a time limit before anyone could line up. I was going to be there at least a hour before the first person did the previous yr did just to make it safe. Had the truck all loaded ready to go and I thought well Ill get on line and see if there is any new post about sign up. A good thing I did their were already 3 times the number of open membership available lined up on the road. Just a little PO'd I hear its a nice place.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Don't give the Board any ideas about some company buying naming rights to the various ranges!

(Though it might bring in a bit more cash....)

Sweet idea. We could totally sell out to sponsorships. There would be doritos and mountain dew adds plastered all over the place. It'll be renamed the T-Mobile shooting range.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

As a member I wouldn't mind them discontinuing any new memberships and gradually increasing the dues to maintain their current income until the membership rolls dropped to 250. I've spoken to several other members and even doubling the membership costs this facility is WELL worth it! I've never seen another solely volunteer member facility as nicely maintained and upgraded as this one.

So watch out about seeking members input, I'm betting there are a LOT of members that feel this way!

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    As a member I wouldn't mind them discontinuing any new memberships and gradually increasing the dues to maintain their current income until the membership rolls dropped to 250. I've spoken to several other members and even doubling the membership costs this facility is WELL worth it! I've never seen another solely volunteer member facility as nicely maintained and upgraded as this one.

So watch out about seeking members input, I'm betting there are a LOT of members that feel this way!

X2

Top Bottom