• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder if another method could be used to fill the limited openings. I know that was kicked around a little last year. Maybe a lottery system, where people could get a number (ticket, whatever), then a drawing could be held. The holders of winning tickets would be allowed to join, of if they changed their mind, a replacement ticket could be drawn. This would eliminate the New Years Eve wait in line, and the parking issues that come along with it. Last year's method of announcing the number of openings did help with that (so I'm told) in comparison to years past where way more people waited in line for a chance at an unknown number of openings.

The tickets could be available for pick up maybe the week or two before New Years Eve to give people a chance to get down there and get them. Just a thought.

badapples

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Jennings County
    i like the lottery idea also, i think it gives everyone a fair chance that wants to join to be able to. I am also looking forward to hearing more about the auction of the 10 spots. thanks for your response.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Are you adding 10 spots or taking them from the available "newbie" spots? The difference is how many will be available in January first. I'd love to join but giving up my new years isn't an option with the wife.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Lets go get in line this year buddy, I'll bring the camp stove and a pot of chili.:)

Hey dude, you forgot to come over yesterday. Again.. LOL.

As to getting in line at MSCC I just don't feel like doing much after new year's eve.

I would but new years eve is one of the busiest if not the busiest nights of the year for us. I work at Bynum's Steakhouse as a second job and don't normally leave until almost 1am on new year's day. After prepping and cooking dinner for almost 300 people the last thing I want to do is sit in my truck all night.

And you know this to be true ^^

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Last year they indicated no one can wait in line before 5pm New Years Eve. People were in line hours before that, by 5pm the road was backed up. A lottery would eliminate the road block of cars and cluster at the gate.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Last year they indicated no one can wait in line before 5pm New Years Eve. People were in line hours before that, by 5pm the road was backed up. A lottery would eliminate the road block of cars and cluster at the gate.

Well, technically nobody was on the road until 5 p.m.. Someone (I thought they were a member, but they weren't) was passing out numbers to people as they arrived and everyone parked in the gravel and grassy area near the gate. When 5 p.m. arrived, we all lined up according to our numbers along side the road, still leaving a clear lane. I know that they weren't overjoyed about it, but strictly speaking we did adhere to the letter of the law so to speak. There were 35 openings and my buddy and I were numbers 32 and 33...

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    As a member of the Board that manages the Martinsville Sportsman's Conservation Club...let me confirm that YES, new memberships will be taken on a first come, first served basis New Year's morning 2015. Gates will open 8 AM and we'll take as many new folks as we have openings. Openings occur when existing members do not renew by Dec. 24th. We have a fixed number of family memberships totaling 500. In years past we have had 20-40 new openings created by non-renewals, all taken within minutes of opening. Check our club website around Dec. 1 for more details about new member application taking process.

We will advise on our website and here on INGO, the number of openings just after Christmas...that way folks can gauge if they want to make the effort to get in line.

As for existing members, we will be mailing renewal letters within the next few days after envelope stuffing tonite...so be looking for them...return BEFORE Dec. 24th or your spot goes to a newbie.

Roger,
    VP for the Board

It would be nice to open up say 100 senior memberships that would allow some of us old guys a chance to shoot during the week when hardly anyone is there.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, technically nobody was on the road until 5 p.m.. Someone (I thought they were a member, but they weren't) was passing out numbers to people as they arrived and everyone parked in the gravel and grassy area near the gate. When 5 p.m. arrived, we all lined up according to our numbers along side the road, still leaving a clear lane. I know that they weren't overjoyed about it, but strictly speaking we did adhere to the letter of the law so to speak. There were 35 openings and my buddy and I were numbers 32 and 33...

I see what you did there. I drove by around 2:00 on the way to town and was surprised at the amount of people already waiting. This year I'm thinking I should set up my camper a week in advance and sell my spot. :cool:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I see what you did there. I drove by around 2:00 on the way to town and was surprised at the amount of people already waiting. This year I'm thinking I should set up my camper a week in advance and sell my spot. :cool:

One guy DID sell his spot for like $200! So that means the guy that bought it was going to be in for $350 once he paid his membership and gate pass fees. :n00b: I heard him telling the guy he bought the spot from that he had cut his family's vacation short to wait in line, and was going to be in deep doo doo with the wife if he didn't get in. :): I was surprised at how early everyone was getting there too. I was monitoring the thread here on INGO, planning on getting there around 5:00. When I saw a report of how many people were already in line at around 3:00 or 3:30, I called my buddy and high tailed it down there!

badapples

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Jennings County
    it will be interesting to see how many spots are available this year. i think that will make a big difference on how many people actually go and wait it out. best bet might be the auction, that is if they don't go for a ridiculous amount.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    how-about-1.jpg

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I wish there were options too, I used to be a member but lapsed and cannot get back in now as there is no way I'll wait in line for the chance of getting in. I used my membership maybe 5-6 Times a year and I can only think of two times I ever even saw anyone else out there.

With better access control you could limit the number of visits a given code gets, say a membership that only lets people in once a month, or twelve uses and then locked out. Still limits use but more people could get the chance to use the facility. I'd pay to use it 6 times a year, that's all I used it before as its a drive for me to get there but it was nice and relaxing to go shoot there and enjoy an evening. I should not have let my membership lapse, I just had no idea I'd not ever get back in. Stupid on my part and I literally have no where to shoot and there are no ranges for me to use. I know of no one with land to shoot on. So in the end I do not shoot. Sad state to be in, but hey, that's life lol!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wish there were options too, I used to be a member but lapsed and cannot get back in now as there is no way I'll wait in line for the chance of getting in. I used my membership maybe 5-6 Times a year and I can only think of two times I ever even saw anyone else out there.

With better access control you could limit the number of visits a given code gets, say a membership that only lets people in once a month, or twelve uses and then locked out. Still limits use but more people could get the chance to use the facility. I'd pay to use it 6 times a year, that's all I used it before as its a drive for me to get there but it was nice and relaxing to go shoot there and enjoy an evening. I should not have let my membership lapse, I just had no idea I'd not ever get back in. Stupid on my part and I literally have no where to shoot and there are no ranges for me to use. I know of no one with land to shoot on. So in the end I do not shoot. Sad state to be in, but hey, that's life lol!

Time to take up mountain biking!:) Just kidding.

I know how you feel just moving from an area with ample places to shoot. But my shooting won't hinge on membership at one club. I figure I can drive an hour or so and be at 3-4 ranges to shoot when they have open events. The only bad news is I won't be able to practice. I really need to learn about this "dry fire" stuff.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am glad I got in when I did, got there at about 3:00am & was #6 in line, have to admit that I was sweating bullets because we did NOT know how many spots were available.
    I was going to go by myself but the wife & all 3 kids wanted go, we camped out in the suburban, took the computer to play movies, snacks, coffee, hot chocolate & had a good time.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    The Board of MSCC appreciates the interest INGO members continue to show in our facility. As a private club we have limited membership to a level that financially supports the club, allows for improvements and yet keeps shooting lanes open virtually every day of the year. We like it like this and the majority of our existing members feel the same way. We have no plans to add more memberships at this time beyond the 10 auctioned off ones noted above.

Roger,
    VP for the Board

An auction? While a member now pays $100/yr, would we see potential members shelling out $500-1000 (or more) to get one of those 10 memberships? IMHO, a random drawing of all submissions AFTER the existing openings have been filled using first come, first served seems a better way to go. You could limit entries to all who showed up that day, to (hopefully) reward those who made the effort.

I can understand where 250 new limited memberships might have been over-optimistic, so how about just 50 limited memberships, split into even/odd and off-peak hours (8-11, 2-dusk) for 6 months. Those memberships would be offered via random drawing once the existing slots have been filled via first come, first served. At the end of the 6 months, if things look good, go with another 50 limited/off-peak. If access appears crowded or conflicts arise, revoke those 50.

IMHO, the facilities can easily support 50-100 more members with even/odd and off-peak hours access.

Top Bottom