• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Can someone shed some light on the pricing of the SBL’s? Seeing them for sale anywhere from 700-2000 usually 800-1200 but still. Why the massive price gap? Am I missing something or is it just the open market?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Can someone shed some light on the pricing of the SBL’s? Seeing them for sale anywhere from 700-2000 usually 800-1200 but still. Why the massive price gap? Am I missing something or is it just the open market?

Wow, I went to GB to take a look and prices are crazy. With the suspension of production from Marlin and everything else going on it's just gougers looking to make a buck, probably won't get any better. What was shocking was not that people were asking high prices but that they had actual bids!

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    This rifle has been on my list for years. From stuff I have read, several years ago Remington moved their production. They went from the Marlin plant to two different Remington plants. I have read many complaints about the QC coming out of the Remington plants. Apparently quality has improved quite a bit the last few years.

Long story short, I assume some may depend on when it was made.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This rifle has been on my list for years. From stuff I have read, several years ago Remington moved their production. They went from the Marlin plant to two different Remington plants. I have read many complaints about the QC coming out of the Remington plants. Apparently quality has improved quite a bit the last few years.

Long story short, I assume some may depend on when it was made.

That particular model hasn't been out long enough for people to be parsing where/when it was made.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Wow, I went to GB to take a look and prices are crazy. With the suspension of production from Marlin and everything else going on it's just gougers looking to make a buck, probably won't get any better. What was shocking was not that people were asking high prices but that they had actual bids!

nothing to see here folks..... just late to the party is all.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    nothing to see here folks..... just late to the party is all.

Yeah, Marlin prices had been creeping up for awhile, I guess people forgot they made millions of them and they're not exactly rare lol. With the cease in production until Ruger does something with them there won't be any more so with the new models it's definitely supply and demand.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    There was some quality control issues with some of them. Marlin / Remington got that fixed and the last few years have been pretty good. Mine shoots very well and it is a fun rifle to shoot and own. It is even better if you handload. I'm in Putnam County, if you would like to look at mine before you decide.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hmm ok wasn’t sure, looking to possibly put hands on one but wasn’t sure what was up. That all makes sense

It might be one of those things you just have to have cash ready to go when the right deal pops up as it likely won't get any better, at least until Ruger is making them again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think Marlin is going have a real chance to jump ahead in quality IF Ruger does it right. If Ruger can use their takedown patents on some of those leverguns it'd be even that much better. However, I think with Henry bringing out the side loading gates on all of their lever guns now is going to take away a lot of the reason people would buy a marlin over a Henry besides price. Personally, my next lever gun is going to be one of those Henry's with a side gate.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think Marlin is going have a real chance to jump ahead in quality IF Ruger does it right. If Ruger can use their takedown patents on some of those leverguns it'd be even that much better. However, I think with Henry bringing out the side loading gates on all of their lever guns now is going to take away a lot of the reason people would buy a marlin over a Henry besides price. Personally, my next lever gun is going to be one of those Henry's with a side gate.

Except Henry's are extremely ugly (at least the centerfires) lol. It's like a lever action Hi-Point.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Except Henry's are extremely ugly (at least the centerfires) lol. It's like a lever action Hi-Point.

I think we're talking about two different Henry's. Personally, I think their case hardened 45-70's are some of the nicest looking rifles I've ever seen.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

I will go on record now saying if it had to be, I am glad Ruger got Marlin. However, just as Winchester blew up their lineup after 1964, The Marlins we have enjoyed in the past will not be the same Marlin in it's rebirth. While new licensee folks have done alright with Winchesters after 1964, they are not the same. New Haven did their best with what they had to work with. I owned and shot many. However, cheesy safeties, tang or cross, rebounding sponge hammers, tweak proof actions, and no 92's along with pee poor management left the writing on the wall for Browning/Winchester. Yes the quality coming out of Japan was better but still have many of the foopahs. Import levers have had a good run but they are not without their problems. Shooting the import levers if they work leaves an image problem. It's hard to be a Real American Cowboy and drive Toyota. I know that I am a dying breed for the real lever gun as today's market wants rails, lights and plastic ornaments. This, Ruger should be able to do. Also. in my 50 plus years buying and shooting lot's of Marlins, they have not ever been made to the quality and consistency as Remington has done Post 2018. Sad.

As far as Henry, this offering is so far off of being a true lever action with the balance and materials that pre 64 Winchesters and every Marlin ever built. The best I hope for is Ruger to stay to the Marlin roots and not end up with something like a Henry or import or Post 64 Winchester.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a Puma 92 clone and it's got the ugly tang safety. I've held the authentic winchester of the same caliber and ran that action and honestly wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with the smooth action of my clone.

I agree on the cowboy's not driving toyotas thing, but I think Henry's slogan of "made in America or not made at all" is one of the most patriotic slogans I've ever heard. They still make their historically accurate firearms and are adding good workhorse types of firearms for collectors and hunters alike. I don't see any fault with them.

I am really optimistic on what Ruger will now do with Marlin in their house.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The thing driving Marlin prices up now is they haven't been made in a minute. With that little Remington bankruptcy thing going. And not sure how long till Ruger churns them out.

So good luck. I havent seen any Marlins on shelves or supply chains for a couple months or more. And more so for the Bankruptcy than Covid buying spree

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The thing driving Marlin prices up now is they haven't been made in a minute. With that little Remington bankruptcy thing going. And not sure how long till Ruger churns them out.

So good luck. I havent seen any Marlins on shelves or supply chains for a couple months or more. And more so for the Bankruptcy than Covid buying spree

Last I saw from Ruger was later in 2021.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Stainless big loop SBL normally 45-70 were not made by Marlin for long. 2004-2008 ish I do believe but you could always make your own from Wild West guns or Hamlin and a few other were making the big loop. Remington. Made Marlins continued with the SBL with the MR etched serial number for more years.
    I think when they started showing up in movies the SBL’s went crazy. The stainless pepper laminate versions of JM Marlins made for Davidson’s are my favorites. They made 1894’s 336 and 1895 versions. They were normally limited to 249 per caliber or 501 per run. They would be SDT’s SDG’s so they can be sometimes confused with a SBL. The he Davidson’s should command a much higher price than a SBL.

Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Unfortunately, they are going for 2.5x-3x their original price. I missed out. I always kept putting off the purchase for something else because I did not technically "need" it and said I would get it next, but never did and here we are with very high prices.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I think with all the crap going on right now, and Hiden saying he's banning AR's people are looking at old school rifles more, 6 rounds of thumping 45-70, beats no rounds of 5.56, 8-10 rounds of .44, or .357 beats anything, and not everyone is talking about banning levers...That and Remlin going under....

Top Bottom