• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Working on a 1955 marlin 336rc 35rem. I know when they added the cross bolt safety in 84 they changed the front barrel band and screw. My question is did they change the rear one also? The gun i'm currently working on has a stripped rear band screw. Working on chiseling the head to try to get a screw driver to bite to take it apart, but need a replacement and didn't know if they changed them also.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Sometimes a Dremel with a cutoff wheel can be used to dress or remake a slot in a screw.
    Numrich as noted above, Marlin, Midway or Brownells should have your part. Brownells has a tech line as well to answer these types of questions. Best of luck w/ your repairs.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Already tried a Dremel with a used up cutting wheel. Only got so far before I hit the band slightly. I know they have screws I guess my question is will the new screws fit in the old pre 84 rear band. I think the will because I've only seen different front band parts. Tried calling marlin but the person was and idiot and wouldn't let me talk to a tech.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Well got the screw out. Couldn't dremel, file, chisel anymore. Could not get a screwdriver to bite. Wound up breaking the head with a drill. The screw wasn't even straight it was bent in the middle. Going to be ordering a new screw and just hope they didn't change anything..

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Well got the screw out. Couldn't dremel, file, chisel anymore. Could not get a screwdriver to bite. Wound up breaking the head with a drill. The screw wasn't even straight it was bent in the middle. Going to be ordering a new screw and just hope they didn't change anything..

Sometimes a Dremel with a cutoff wheel can be used to dress or remake a slot in a screw.
    Numrich as noted above, Marlin, Midway or Brownells should have your part. Brownells has a tech line as well to answer these types of questions. Best of luck w/ your repairs.

Top Bottom