• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Smartest thing they did, retired the 1911AARP!
    When I was in the Corps, we had some that you would do better killing someone with if you threw it at them. Many shot on other people's targets at 25 yards. They were pitiful.
    That was in 1973 to 1976 though..... ;)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    111 year run? I think it did fine. Those that think they were using the same worn out 1911’s from WW2 obviously have no idea. The M45A1 that is being retired was from a 2012 contract for new weapons. These are the railed match barrel critter that had all the performance upgrades of a modern civvie 1911. Replaced mostly by 2020 with G19’s for logistics reasons not performance reasons

Edit: pre-2003 there were frames being used with 500k rounds on them. Damn. Tough old birds.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Brings a tear to my eye. My fondest memories of the M1911A1 come from sucking up to our unit (69th Transportation Company, Bremerhaven, FROG) armorer. He always got stuck cleaning all the officers' guns after a range day. I begged him to let me help him. He did not trust my work. I asked him to inspect my M16A1. He did. I got the job. I fondly remember pouring over ever aspect of those guns. I did a full take-down and clean on all of them, every time. I loved cleaning them as much as shooting them. The 1911 was a gift from God to JMB, who graciously passed it on the rest of us.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Smartest thing they did, retired the 1911AARP!
    When I was in the Corps, we had some that you would do better killing someone with if you threw it at them. Many shot on other people's targets at 25 yards. They were pitiful.
    That was in 1973 to 1976 though..... ;)
    Pretty sure the AARP has an active hatred for the 1911, by virtue of its existence.

***Hats are so far to the left it’s not even funny. There are far better options out there for those that may be of an age to qualify.

My parents wanted to join and I had to back up the bus, they ended up going elsewhere.

Reactions: Leo

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pretty sure the AARP has an active hatred for the 1911, by virtue of its existence.

***Hats are so far to the left it’s not even funny. There are far better options out there for those that may be of an age to qualify.

My parents wanted to join and I had to back up the bus, they ended up going elsewhere.
    AARP can't hold a candle to AMAC.
    Not even in the same league.
    Oh, and ideas may get old, but the JMB brainchild 1911 will live in infamy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The sad thing about today's M18s is that what constitutes the gun might run for years, but every time someone drops it and puts a big ding in it or something, they'll probably just put the FCG into a new grip. When they finally do retire them, you won't have the same pistol that was in a GI's holster, but just the slide and FCG. The original 1911s were re-arsenaled several times and might have had a new slide fit, but that frame was still the same one that was carried by a soldier somewhere.

I wonder when/if they'll sell these new 1911s being retired eventually? If so, I hope they retain the same patina as a couple in the pics in the artical had.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nothing wrong with a good 1911...solid pistol design, even after 110+ years...love them!
    Doesn't mean they don't need to be cared for and even repaired or updated occasionally.
    That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, if I had to, but there are other pistols that can be more efficient (lighter weight, higher capacity, etc.), that I would choose from for an EDC, depending on one's need.

ccfAYcZ.jpg

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Nothing wrong with a good 1911...solid pistol design, even after 110+ years...love them!
    Doesn't mean they don't need to be cared for and even repaired or updated occasionally.
    That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, if I had to, but there are other pistols that can be more efficient (lighter weight, higher capacity, etc.), that I would choose from for an EDC, depending on one's need.

ccfAYcZ.jpg
    I willingly carry 1911’s. It’s what I’m comfortable with, proficient with and enjoy.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

ccfAYcZ.jpg
    Intentionally derailing post here.

But who did the Bobtail? Very nice

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have heard rumors that the Marines always had to make do with the oldest equipment.
    So many fond memories of my Army days with a 1911A1.
    I own several Colts and one each Remington Rand and Ithaca pistols just like I was issued.
    I never felt underpinned carrying one on duty.

Top Bottom