Marine Corps backpack group buy opportunity.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm still in for at least 1 back pack if the price is $"X" or less.

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm still in for up to four, depending upon the final price.

For any of you near Muncie, I can pick them up in Westfield and get them to you provided you arrange for payment. PM me if you want to discuss arrangements.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Every one of the MANY lots of packs has a classification of "H7"? Anyone have experience as to what can get a pack in that classification?

The description reads "[FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-1]Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria; Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended. NOTE: Classify obsolete and excess material to its proper condition before consigning to the DRMO. DO NOT classify material in supply condition H unless it is truly unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria."

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Someone mentioned either in thread or in a PM that the[SIZE=-1]se packs [SIZE=-1]have been replaced with another style...Is th[SIZE=-1]is [SIZE=-1]class[SIZE=-1]ification simpl[SIZE=-1]y because the style is no longer i[SIZE=-1]n service[SIZE=-1] or are all 5 gazillion packs they are getting rid of so ba[SIZE=-1]d t[SIZE=-1]hey can't be repaired? [SIZE=-1]They only take a pack or two out[SIZE=-1] for the pics but I don'[SIZE=-1]t see[SIZE=-1] any defects other than a stain or some wear in the cam[SIZE=-1]o pattern in a couple shots.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Every one of the MANY lots of packs has a classification of "H7"? Anyone have experience as to what can get a pack in that classification?

The description reads "[FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-1]Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria; Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended. NOTE: Classify obsolete and excess material to its proper condition before consigning to the DRMO. DO NOT classify material in supply condition H unless it is truly unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria."[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Someone mentioned either in thread or in a PM that the[SIZE=-1]se packs [SIZE=-1]have been replaced with another style...Is th[SIZE=-1]is [SIZE=-1]class[SIZE=-1]ification simpl[SIZE=-1]y because the style is no longer i[SIZE=-1]n service[SIZE=-1] or are all 5 gazillion packs they are getting rid of so ba[SIZE=-1]d t[SIZE=-1]hey can't be repaired? [SIZE=-1]They only take a pack or two out[SIZE=-1] for the pics but I don'[SIZE=-1]t see[SIZE=-1] any defects other than a stain or some wear in the cam[SIZE=-1]o pattern in a couple shots.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
    They have been/are being replaced by a new model of packs (FILBE).

Even so, I would think that they would still give it a serviceble classification because some of the other lots are classified as such.

The real question is: Does this mean that they are NOT repairable, or that it is cheaper for them to buy new ones than the cost of repair? I'm betting that it simply means it would cost them more to pay someone "an hourly rate" to repair them with materials, then to simply buy a new pack.

I'll contact a buddy of mine to see what they classify as "unserviceable" and "non-repairable" and get back to you when I find out.

EDIT: Message out. When reply is returned will post back here.

Last edited:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    After some searching, I found this document.

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/lmo/FEDERAL_CONDITION_CODES.pdf

Here's what the F and 7 mean, according to the document.

H – Unserviceable – Condemned
    Items that have been determined to be unserviceable and do not meet repair criteria .

7 – Reparable
    Property that is unusable in its current condition, but can be economically repaired.

That said, I've read on other forums that sometimes you get surprises. It seems like it's more of a dice roll with machinery and less with gear, but without actually inspecting the lot that you're bidding on you really don't know what the end results will be. Anyone who are interested in this buy should keep that in mind.

Also, I found these packs on another site that resells military surplus gear. They indicated that each of the packs that they sell have intact and working waist belts and shoulder straps. However, they also state that there are many buckles on these bags and that some may be broken. Based on this, they may be selling a higher grade that H7.

That H designation has me a little worried. Are there other lots for sale with different designations?

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]They only take a pack or two out[SIZE=-1] for the pics but I don'[SIZE=-1]t see[SIZE=-1] any defects other than a stain or some wear in the cam[SIZE=-1]o pattern in a couple shots.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
    I looked through them last night. MOST were indeed missing components. Some were missing hip belts. Some were missing lids. I think there was even one or two that was missing shoulder straps if I remember correctly. :dunno:

The ones that APPEARED to be more complete were obviously ones which were much higher in price and indeed did have a better classification.

Still you can do without the hip belt if you choose to. I would recommend trying to not go without a lid though. Functioning snaps, zippers, no tears/holes/rips are what's really important though.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In short, what will happen is "Unit A" will get a shipment of their new packs. Their command MAY decide to wait on switching out that gear until there is enough on hand to replace ALL of "Unit A's" packs, or they may go ahead and do it as they come. Hence, we'll be seeing these packs flood the market for probably several months at least.

They are NOT "unserviceable" merely because they are outdated. They are classified as unserviceable when it costs more money to repair them then get new ones. Bear in mind, the military does not employ troops to make significant repairs. They will rob parts from one pack or another to keep someone's issued gear serviceable, but that's where it typically stops. They aren't going to pay for labor and parts to have significant stitching performed. Anything outside of what can be handled relatively quickly on site, is typically "unserviceable."

Hence, a lot with such a classification can REALLY be a big "hodge podge" of different conditions. Some with huge rips or holes, other that were merely robbed of other components.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I looked through them last night. MOST were indeed missing components. Some were missing hip belts. Some were missing lids. I think there was even one or two that was missing shoulder straps if I remember correctly. :dunno:

The ones that APPEARED to be more complete were obviously ones which were much higher in price and indeed did have a better classification.

Still you can do without the hip belt if you choose to. I would recommend trying to not go without a lid though. Functioning snaps, zippers, no tears/holes/rips are what's really important though.

The lots that have complete packs (lid, shoulder straps, waist belts, main pack) are Lot 30, and 46 through 87. Lot 30 has about half F7 and half g7 with a lot size of 58. All the others are for 50 bags each and all have an H7 designation.

Lots 11-28 are F7's but they don't have lids and waist belts. I'm thinking it would be best to bid on the F7's and then also get some lots of belts and lids that are available in another auction.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The lots that have complete packs (lid, shoulder straps, waist belts, main pack) are Lot 30, and 46 through 87. Lot 30 has about half F7 and half g7 with a lot size of 58. All the others are for 50 bags each and all have an H7 designation.

Lots 11-28 are F7's but they don't have lids and waist belts. I'm thinking it would be best to bid on the F7's and then also get some lots of belts and lids that are available in another auction.
    Probably, because you never know what kind of condition the "unserviceable" truly is. I didn't really search for the hip belts and lids, but I'll bet they don't go fo very high/sell nearly as much. The lids tend to damage the most easily out of any component on them. Zippers get off track and screwed up on them.

Typically, the "go to" place for these things is Ebay for most people. As long as you can get the lots and offer the items for reasonably less than there you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of them.

Keep in mind too that there are TWO generations of them. One, has black buckles. Two, has tan buckles. They will NOT mix/connect to one another.

Another thing you want to make sure works are the small button clips and plastic locks on the main shoulder straps. If those don't work they need replaced. Nothing sucks worse than trying to hike 20 miles over hills with a 100lb pack that your physically holding onto your back by half a strap because of those clips.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Probably, because you never know what kind of condition the "unserviceable" truly is. I didn't really search for the hip belts and lids, but I'll bet they don't go fo very high/sell nearly as much. The lids tend to damage the most easily out of any component on them. Zippers get off track and screwed up on them.

Typically, the "go to" place for these things is Ebay for most people. As long as you can get the lots and offer the items for reasonably less than there you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of them.

Keep in mind too that there are TWO generations of them. One, has black buckles. Two, has tan buckles. They will NOT mix/connect to one another.

Another thing you want to make sure works are the small button clips and plastic locks on the main shoulder straps. If those don't work they need replaced. Nothing sucks worse than trying to hike 20 miles over hills with a 100lb pack that your physically holding onto your back by half a strap because of those clips.

You will have to do a show and tell on how to setup these when they come in! :D Please?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You will have to do a show and tell on how to setup these when they come in! :D Please?
    I'm gonna try and put a useful review or something together possibly this weekend for everyone. The problem is the one I have is missing the hip belt and lid, but really those are a small portion of their functionality. The biggest thing about them is their durability, comfort, and ability to hold a LOT of stuff/weight while being modular (able to connect one pack to the other as well as other gear).

I keep my assault pack setup as my GHB. That way if the S does HTF while I'm out and I need to grab my BOB quickly, all I gotta do is snap a couple straps, grab the whole thing, and go.

People would be amazed at how much you ca cram in these things. You can cram a whole CASE of MREs in the assault packs.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    the1kidd03, I have to spread the rep around to hit you again. Your input in this thread has been HUGE! Thanks. I'm changing my strategy to include the better classification packs and then I'm going to get the belts and lids separate.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the1kidd03, I have to spread the rep around to hit you again. Your input in this thread has been HUGE! Thanks. I'm changing my strategy to include the better classification packs and then I'm going to get the belts and lids separate.
    Glad to help. Hopefully you can get some nice packs put together for everyone.:yesway:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Update. I was able to procure plenty of the MARPAT main packs, all of which were classified as F7 (none of the H7). I have to get a lot of pack lids and belts now but that auction does not start or finish until next week. A lot of variables in the air still but it looks like these should be below $20 per pack at least after they get their lids, and belts and get to the north side of Indy for distribution. I appreciate all the offers to get one on my way back from Ohio but that is going to be logistically impossible. I have to get them all in one spot, sort through the rough ones, match up parts and clean some of them before setting up a way to distribute.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom