• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I don't have intimate knowledge of my guns. I'm not sure that's permissible under Indiana law. It probably wouldn't feel good to me either, but that's just me.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It's bad enough people think I have to have a minimum level of training or only EDC firearms that are similar in function.

I don't think that at all. I have no idea what your experience/situation is, so I am not assuming anything. But I think people need to get a lot of training, not just a minimum level. Not just guns either. Other weapons and unarmed as well. It's a life-long pursuit.

Don't worry about learning about all possible weapons. Apparently bad guys carry only guns without manual safety. At least in my dreams.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    For me it's the stakes. I will never carry a weapon for personal defense with a manual
    safety. The adrenaline rush and surprise will be enough to deal with and I don't care
    how much I've practiced, I don't want to take the chance of this type of fail from
    the OP scenario. I have enough sense to know I'm a human and I could forget
    or not get it disengaged in time.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    The adrenaline rush and surprise will be enough to deal with and I don't care
    how much I've practiced, I don't want to take the chance of this type of fail

I found out first hand this can happen. Last November, under stress I pulled the trigger with the safety on. But I was lucky,
    the deer gave me a second shot. Learned my lesson and bought a carry gun with no safety.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I found out first hand this can happen. Last November, under stress I pulled the trigger with the safety on. But I was lucky,
    the deer gave me a second shot. Learned my lesson and bought a carry gun with no safety.

Hah. A friend of mine recently earned the nickname "Click" because he forgot to pull the charging handle on his AR before taking a shot a coyote. He's a very experienced shooter, which just shows that it can happen to anyone when the adrenaline starts to flow.

That's why I've stuck with the 1911. Not because it's the bestest design ever (although it is a classic) but because I have trained with it for years. Hopefully if the SHTF that will pay off...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Revolvers. Just saying. Yeah, I only get 6 shots, but by the time I've gotten 6 shots off, one of us is most likely dead. Not saying that one type of weapon is better than another, but you have to go with what you're comfortable with, and then know how to use it inside and out. I definitely agree that being intimately familiar with whatever weapon(s) you depend on is "a winner" in this situation. I can't imagine having a gun and not being familiar enough to operate it under stress.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have those all the time! Or the 100lb trigger pull dream. I usually wake up in a sweat.

I thought I was the only one...It's my favorite Smith Wheelgun (in the dream) and the Trigger pull is just too damn heavy and everything is in slow motion and I always wake up right before something bad happens....I usually then get up, empty the gun and dry fire it about 100 times before I go back to sleep....

Knowing I am not the only one with the "100lb Trigger Pull Dream" is reason enough to belong to INGO.....

Plus BehindBlueI's gives some of the best "real world" defensive information that is out there....Kudo's to you Sir and please keep posting thoughts, ideas, and opinions...You bring alot to the table and INGO is blessed by your willingness to share....
    :ingo:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    no need for intimate knowledge of ALL weapons you might ever use for SD. No one has insinuated that.

To me, the lesson here is to be intimately familiar with any weapon you may have to use to defend your life.
    It doesn't say be intimately familiar with the weapon(s) you choose to use to defend yourself. It says be intimately familiar with any weapon you may have to use to defend yourself.

Hubby carry a different style than you? Would probably be pertinent to learn that one, too. And him yours.

Also - his "here is the winner" statement was, most likely, referring to training and practice. Not that "his" weapon system was the "winner".

-J-
    I know what he meant. Others have still made the case by implication that their way is superior.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I thought I was the only one...It's my favorite Smith Wheelgun (in the dream) and the Trigger pull is just too damn heavy and everything is in slow motion and I always wake up right before something bad happens....I usually then get up, empty the gun and dry fire it about 100 times before I go back to sleep....

Knowing I am not the only one with the "100lb Trigger Pull Dream" is reason enough to belong to INGO.....

Plus BehindBlueI's gives some of the best "real world" defensive information that is out there....Kudo's to you Sir and please keep posting thoughts, ideas, and opinions...You bring alot to the table and INGO is blessed by your willingness to share....
    :ingo:

I had one just last night where I would pull the trigger and my hammer wouldn't drop (no safety, just a click) on my 1911. Had the shot lined up on my moving target and couldn't fire. I think this thread has made it's way into my dreams.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    To me, the lesson here is to be intimately familiar with any weapon you may have to use to defend your life. If you have a dedicated house gun then you better be just as familiar with it and spend as much time with it as you do your carry gun. I have read way too many people say their house gun never leaves the house and their carry gun never gets shot at the range. I don't understand it. Be familiar and know what will and won't work. I'm sure there will be a bum rush on this thread from the anti-safety crowd but I think the true lesson here is weapon familiarity. You shouldn't wait until a situation like this to discover whether you picked the right gun for you to defend yourself with.

anti-safety guy here...but, this^

Top Bottom