• ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    holy **** that's ridiculous

The fact that any government entity thinks they can OWN the rainfall is ****ing ridiculous.

This is yet another in a long line of outlandish regulatory bungles.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Was he using the collected water to water his grass? I'm sure The arrest was to protect the common good.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Just to be clear, all states have water laws, nothing to do with the feds. And these are old laws, well before the nanny state was even a twinkle in BHO's eye. In the East generally you have right to the water you capture, but in the West this may not be the case.

There is some logic to this in an arid climate (NOT talking about global warming, okay). If you are downstream from another owner who interferes with surface water, whether by storing or withdrawing it, it could seriously impact your use of your land, if you need water for drinking, irrigation, etc. It's not like groundwater is nearly as abundant in some places in the high, dry West and you can always drill a well.

I know, you can buy the water from said neighbor. Looking at the larger picture, what happens to the States downstream Colorado completely withdraws the water from the Grand River?

Just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_right

In the United States, there are two divergent systems for determining water rights. Riparian water rights (derived from English common law) are common in the east and prior appropriation water rights (developed in Colorado and California) are common in the west. Each state has its own variations on these basic principles, as informed by custom, culture, geography, legislation and case law. Californian law, for example, includes elements of both systems. In general, a water right is established by obtaining an authorization from the state in the form of a water right permit. A legal right is formally consummated, or perfected, by exercising the water right permit and using the water for a beneficial purpose.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Crazy for sure. I wonder if those speaking against use of a well to water grass in a time of drought will support the city against this guy

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Crazy for sure. I wonder if those speaking against use of a well to water grass in a time of drought will support the city against this guy

I wonder how many of those speaking against the use of a well to water grass in a time of drought have rain barrels of their own.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    how was he collecting rainwater by closing some kind of gate? if he was diverting streams and creaks flowing into the river and calling it collecting rain water and snow melt he is deluding himself.

Top Bottom