Man arrested in 'Call of Duty' 'swatting' hoax that led to fatal police shooting

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I might even say bad actions get the lions share of the coverage giving the general public an excuse (however poor it may be) to further exacerbate the problem by believing the police are out to do harm, in general, rather than good. This false concept permeates society and we see folks who should have a higher respect for the risks associated with such a job as police (i.e. a Marine) disrespectful of the service they provide. It frustrates me no end to have a Marine, of all professions, criticizing police in such a way. We just left many years of war in which a large part of that was spent policing, instead of indiscriminately killing. Numerous Americans were killed due to the political restraints imposed on them. We all griped about it without ever realizing a solution. We just accepted that someone had to get shot before we could fight back, and even then it wasn't always authorized. Put a blue uniform on and suddenly this nation is simultaneously too demanding on you and embittered towards you and the authority you represent. I've been there and it's not fun, but I wore tan digital cammies, what do I know?

edit: I was too fast on this reply and didn't include the quote. Nonetheless, I think it's obvious I have sincere disdain for general disrespect towards the police. Especially by my fellow Marines.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I might even say bad actions get the lions share of the coverage giving the general public an excuse (however poor it may be) to further exacerbate the problem by believing the police are out to do harm, in general, rather than good. This false concept permeates society and we see folks who should have a higher respect for the risks associated with such a job as police (i.e. a Marine) disrespectful of the service they provide. It frustrates me no end to have a Marine, of all professions, criticizing police in such a way. We just left many years of war in which a large part of that was spent policing, instead of indiscriminately killing. Numerous Americans were killed due to the political restraints imposed on them. We all griped about it without ever realizing a solution. We just accepted that someone had to get shot before we could fight back, and even then it wasn't always authorized. Put a blue uniform on and suddenly this nation is simultaneously too demanding on you and embittered towards you and the authority you represent. I've been there and it's not fun, but I wore tan digital cammies, what do I know?

edit: I was too fast on this reply and didn't include the quote. Nonetheless, I think it's obvious I have sincere disdain for general disrespect towards the police. Especially by my fellow Marines.

maybe we have a sincere disdain for the leo's who disrespect the citizens. especially when they say they are sworn to protect them.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

One claim I read was that he reached for his waist band (hence some of the discussion in this thread of that seemingly standardized justification). There may be some grainy footage of the guy making moves that could be interpreted as aggressive. I haven't heard anything concrete yet. It's probably a "good" shoot, as ironic as that term is in an unfortunate situation such as this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One claim I read was that he reached for his waist band (hence some of the discussion in this thread of that seemingly standardized justification). There may be some grainy footage of the guy making moves that could be interpreted as aggressive. I haven't heard anything concrete yet. It's probably a "good" shoot, as ironic as that term is in an unfortunate situation such as this.

In the technical sense, it probably is. The thing I keep coming back to, is the perception the victim had of the situation. Here on INGO we have a number members who have stated that if they haven't done anything wrong, and encounter LE, they aren't going to be "helpful." The victim in this case might have been of a similar mindset. It's scary to think that while you may KNOW that you are completely law-abiding, you still might end up at the wrong end of a gun based on another's perception of the situation.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In the technical sense, it probably is. The thing I keep coming back to, is the perception the victim had of the situation. Here on INGO we have a number members who have stated that if they haven't done anything wrong, and encounter LE, they aren't going to be "helpful." The victim in this case might have been of a similar mindset. It's scary to think that while you may KNOW that you are completely law-abiding, you still might end up at the wrong end of a gun based on another's perception of the situation.

Very true. But I can't see a way around that. Maybe somebody smarter than me (that's a whole lot of people) can figure out an answer. On the one hand, I don't want the police to have a harder job than they already do. But I don't want to remove any protections from citizens. There are a lot of ways to kill people these days. Unfortunately, using cops seems to be one of them, if not one of the most perverse. As often as swatting happens, it is a testament to the discipline of most LEO's that they aren't killing more people under these circumstances.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    One thing that hadn't been mentioned concerning Wichita: that is not some sleepy Midwestern grain mill town. There were 60 gangs active in Wichita when I was stationed at McConnell AFB. That was over 20 years ago.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One thing that hadn't been mentioned concerning Wichita: that is not some sleepy Midwestern grain mill town. There were 60 gangs active in Wichita when I was stationed at McConnell AFB. That was over 20 years ago.

But I thought Wichita was far from the opera for evermore and with straw to work while you sweat out of every pore. :dunno:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This definitely wasn't the suspect,s first rodeo. He also threatened to beat and kill his grandmother if she ratted him out for making a false bomb threat to a TV News station.

https://apnews.com/576eb648986b4194...utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APCentralRegion

It comes as no surprise that he also happened to live with his Grandmother. The same one he threatened to murder.

Barriss earlier pleaded no contest in a separate case on May 10, 2016, to one felony count each of false report of bomb to agency or business and malicious informing of false bomb in California. He was sentenced to two years and eight months in jail, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.

The Wichita Eagle reports that his 62-year-old grandmother wrote in a domestic violence case seeking a restraining order in 2015 from a California court that Barris had made “constant threats to beat my face bloody.”

He also allegedly made death threats against the woman, along with threats to destroy her home and dogs. He was ordered to move out of the house they shared and stay away from her, her home, her dogs, workplace and vehicle, according to the document. The order was later dismissed when he and his grandmother missed a court hearing.

The LA Times reported that Barriss threatened his grandmother to prevent her from reporting he had called in false bomb threats.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    maybe we have a sincere disdain for the leo's who disrespect the citizens. especially when they say they are sworn to protect them.

Agreed. What's first, then, upon a new shooting? Condemnation or innocence until proven otherwise? Do we allow the legal System to execute justice and determine a verdict? Or do we come to our Own conclusions from the all trustworthy media?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed. What's first, then, upon a new shooting? Condemnation or innocence until proven otherwise? Do we allow the legal System to execute justice and determine a verdict? Or do we come to our Own conclusions from the all trustworthy media?

Question......who do you trust in the media.

Top Bottom