• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I was at the Greenwood Park Mall yesterday and noticed mall security with a dog. I couldn’t find much information about Simon Malls use of dogs, so I am curious.

So what are they trained for? Drug detection, crowd control, emotional support, gun detection, mall walkers? I didn’t have the opportunity to ask.

I did find a few articles about malls using gun detection dogs:

I miss the days of Paul Blart!

IMG_0294.jpeg

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    So what are they trained for? Drug detection, crowd control, emotional support, gun detection, mall walkers? I didn’t have the opportunity to ask.

Security detail at a mall retail store is probably an emotionally draining job these days. You know you're going to witness theft, and you know that if you try to intervene you could be injured, killed, fired, jailed, cancelled, or all of the above. With that in mind, I think your assumption of an emotional support animal is probably correct.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...I can't wait until local news breathlessly reports the latest thug-craze:

"Unfired guns that aren't detectable by security measures because they don't give off any scent!"

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Explosive-sniffing dogs.
    This is correct. And believe it or not, they do have a good training and certification program, as well as competent handlers. I know many of the folks running the program within the company and have entertained the notion of going to work for them after I retire. After 15 years of K9, my wife said if I bring another work dog home that we’re getting a divorce so… maybe?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    So, could they theoretically alert on guns as seen at other malls around the country?
    In theory, yes. Vapor wake scent trailing is quite difficult and takes a LOT of training, of which I’m not sure how much time they dedicate to it. Many factors make up odor detection, the most important of which are quantity, mobility and air movement. One gun (and ammo?) + person walking + crowded mall makes for a tough target. I don’t know how successful K9 teams have been in their approaches at other malls that have been operating longer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What is a mall security gun dog more likely to alert on?

Clean, well lubed gun?
    Dirty gun?
    Carried daily gun vs just for today?

How close does the dog need to get?

:scratch:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They got one for the Simon Mall in Mishawaka after a couple of the shootings there by their South Bend guests.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    What is a mall security gun dog more likely to alert on?

Clean, well lubed gun?
    Dirty gun?
    Carried daily gun vs just for today?

How close does the dog need to get?

:scratch:
    Of anything gun related (versus actual explosives), the dog would indicate on the black powder in the cartridges. I’ve had a dog that would hit on one live round thrown 70 feet into a high grass field, and I’ve also had a dog that would forget his own name. So ultimately, it doesn’t matter how dirty or clean the gun is, what matters is how good the handler and K9 are, and to what amount of explosive material they have trained on.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This is correct. And believe it or not, they do have a good training and certification program, as well as competent handlers. I know many of the folks running the program within the company and have entertained the notion of going to work for them after I retire. After 15 years of K9, my wife said if I bring another work dog home that we’re getting a divorce so… maybe?
    Dogs have a lot more ability than people give them credit for. One of the off spring of our LGD’s has undergone extensive training and can now predict seizures .

Tank has his day job, and moonlights as a furniture mover. He can push our couch back a good foot in his getting comfortable process.

Top Bottom