• ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    sort of

We keep ready to eat / no cook foods on hand and rotate them every 6 months or so.
    pouch tuna, crackers, oatmeal bars etc.
    I don't package them for long term storage.
    I consider them to be used only for a couple days during an emergency.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hormel "Compleats" can form the basis of a homespun MRE.

Chicken (I refuse to mention anything fish related, but it works here too) in the mylar bags is another good choice.

As long as the packaging is intact, they'll be safe to heat. How long they'll taste good will depend on time and temperature.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Aren't those tuna packs supposed to be refrigerated? But you're saying as long as theyr're sealed they'll be safe?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Hormel "Compleats" can form the basis of a homespun MRE.

Chicken (I refuse to mention anything fish related, but it works here too) in the mylar bags is another good choice.

As long as the packaging is intact, they'll be safe to heat. How long they'll taste good will depend on time and temperature.

BuyTheCase: Shop for Hormel

51U%2B7XsSfsL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

YouTube - Hormel Compleats 2

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i expected the compleats to be horrible. but i had a chicken and dumplings recently...theyre the ****. edible even cold. 1000 times better than MREs. if youre talking about stockpiling food, and have kids, get these. i eat haji food all day and i wont touch mres. couldnt imagine feeding one to a child. the main courses look/smell like dog food.

zimzum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Chesterfield
    i expected the compleats to be horrible. but i had a chicken and dumplings recently...theyre the ****. edible even cold. 1000 times better than MREs. if youre talking about stockpiling food, and have kids, get these. i eat haji food all day and i wont touch mres. couldnt imagine feeding one to a child. the main courses look/smell like dog food.

I think I'll try those out.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Aldis has some magnificent canned beef tips for between $2-$3 per can. I guess those would be C-rats though.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I spent 2 weeks in a Spanish desert training with the Spanish army. They loved our mre's mostly because they packed away so much easier. You can put pouches in your cargo pockets. They didn't like putting cans in their pockets and then have to run around and jump up and down on them while playing war games. Same thing with the tuna pouches. That and you don't need a can opener. Their rations came in boxes and cans. Some of them were downright nasty. They had a can that had little baby squid in it's ink. Another one was tripe. They even had condensed mik in little metal tubes. I don't know if I still have the stuff from the Spanish MRE or not. I'm pretty sure I still have the Ukrainian ration. I wouldn't eat that on a bet. I have no idea what is even in it.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i used to drop weight like crazy during field exercises due to my hatred of mres. those menu options sound vomit-inducing.

Top Bottom