• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Both sides. Just acknowledge the truth. If you can't win an argument with facts, what value is that?

For those who want Trump. Why? And why do you think that the negative things people say about him are either untrue or don't matter? Are you weighing the pros and cons? Or just ignoring the cons? To me, the cons are pretty significant. I mean, do you admit them in your head and just don't want to admit them publicly? Or has cognitive dissonance fully set in? If you understand the full truth of both sides and still support Trump, fine. That's your choice. I can respect that. But some of you. Wow.

For those who don't want Trump. Why? Why don't you think the positive things about Trump matter more than the negative? Why do some of you tend to present arguments that overstate the case against him? Do you think the cognitively dissonant will snap back to reality if you fashion your straw Trump monster to be ever bigger and scarier?

Or, are we all just going to say **** to win the argument? Ah, **** it. I guess I'll play along. Trump is really a gay black Mexican Muslim who is secretly planning to open the borders and let in communist feminazis to ravage our women and take what jobs he doesn't send to CHI-nah.

Its not that I "want" him per se, I just think the other two front runners are much worse.

Ted Cruz is bat**** crazy and gets butthurt way too easy. Rubio is a weakling who will open the borders.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    He's still what he was in the beginning, the reality TV candidate. Who ever he hired that proposed this style of campaign is going to be absolutely the richest political strategist on record in two years. Everybody will rush to copy this success and the next off year election will look like a cross between the WWE and a dog fight. Some incumbents and other aspiring leaders won't embrace the new campaign reality and will simply be unable to adapt. There will be a whole new group though that will snarl, shout, and posture better than Hulk Hogan and Rowdy Roddy Piper. This year we may have a choice between two candidates who aren't even remotely connected to the electorate, the obnoxious loud rich boy, and the insane creepy Machiavellian lawyer. I'll vote for Trump because 2A is a litmus test for me and hilly will never pass it, but truth is she just gives me the shudders. Sadly it will move the real power of government further into the cabal of dc law firms while we are all being distracted by the show.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Americans are addicted to watching movie stars. Trump is as close as they can get...and he pretends to have some of their values. Ultimately, the election will go to Hillary.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Try as I might, i can't come up with a "best argument" for Trump.
    He's got more BS than any politician I've ever seen.
    I also trust him LEAST of any of the Republican candidates with my 2nd Amendment rights and with nominations to the US Supreme Court and other other lower courts.

Trump loves to throw the word 'Liar!" around whenever his BS is exposed, YET he's the biggest liar of them all.

I wouldn't trust Trump as far as I could throw him (into the wind).

I predict those who vote for him will too late realize they've been (to use a Trump term) "Schlonged".
    Problem is, the rest of us will be forced to pay the price.

IF Trump gets elected, the only pleasure I'm going to get from it is rubbing it in for the next 4 years to those who were gullible enough to fall for his BS. :laugh:

Last edited:

deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)
    Discussing politics in a gun forum ... I wonder how many innocent computers have died or are being targeted as a frustration point and are now suffering from and abundant amount of lead poisoning.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Because without him, it would have been ¡Jeb! vs. Hillary for President.

Think about that. If Trump hadn't come into the race and been a 100% old school dick to everyone on so many issues, it would be the son/brother of a former President (and grandson of a former Senator) against the wife of a former President who is nearly 70 years old.

Trump may be everything that everyone on this board has ever accused him of being -- or worse -- but at the very least he will not be another link in the Third-Worldization of our nation's highest elected office. And to be clear, by "Third-Worldization of our nation's highest elected office" I mean a continuation of the metastasizing attitude of the so-called elite within our country that not only believes it has the right, but in fact has the unchecked ability, via PACs, public policy control of public schools, financial favoritism to those companies "too big to fail" and media properties to control what people read, hear, see and even worse, say.

We don't need another public policy wonk. We don't need another scion of a political dynasty that goes back nearly a century (Prescott Bush). We don't need some guy's wife who think's she owed because her husband was a horn dog and her election will check another category off some imagined list of aggrieved other-Americans. We don't need someone whose pappy sailed over on the SS Boo Hoo I'm Leaving My Home Country and Bringing My Sad Story With Me to Ruin Your Country With My Intricate Knowledge of Pain and Suffering.

We need someone who tells Mexico/China/ISIS/EU/UN/<fill in the blank> to "go **** yourself" and will think differently about how we approach our country's problems, and less about how we are going to solve the world's or planet's problems.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I will support the GOP nominee. The biggest question is will Trump if the nominee be getting support from other republicans? I suspect it will get interested after Tuesday, and I think everyone is starting to see the writing on the wall. I am more in the Cruz camp but I myself believe chances are dwindling for anyone else.

deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)

Think about that. If Trump hadn't come into the race and been a 100% old school dick to everyone on so many issues, it would be the son/brother of a former President (and grandson of a former Senator) against the wife of a former President who is nearly 70 years old.

Trump may be everything that everyone on this board has ever accused him of being -- or worse -- but at the very least he will not be another link in the Third-Worldization of our nation's highest elected office. And to be clear, by "Third-Worldization of our nation's highest elected office" I mean a continuation of the metastasizing attitude of the so-called elite within our country that not only believes it has the right, but in fact has the unchecked ability, via PACs, public policy control of public schools, financial favoritism to those companies "too big to fail" and media properties to control what people read, hear, see and even worse, say.

We don't need another public policy wonk. We don't need another scion of a political dynasty that goes back nearly a century (Prescott Bush). We don't need some guy's wife who think's she owed because her husband was a horn dog and her election will check another category off some imagined list of aggrieved other-Americans. We don't need someone whose pappy sailed over on the SS Boo Hoo I'm Leaving My Home Country and Bringing My Sad Story With Me to Ruin Your Country With My Intricate Knowledge of Pain and Suffering.

We need someone who tells Mexico/China/ISIS/EU/UN/<fill in the blank> to "go **** yourself" and will think differently about how we approach our country's problems, and less about how we are going to solve the world's or planet's problems.
    Well said!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Interesting article by Peggy Noonan, I think she hits the nail on the head:

Trump and the Rise of the Unprotected

We’re in a funny moment. Those who do politics for a living, some of them quite brilliant, are struggling to comprehend the central fact of the Republican primary race, while regular people have already absorbed what has happened and is happening. Journalists and politicos have been sharing schemes for how Marco parlays a victory out of winning nowhere, or Ted roars back, or Kasich has to finish second in Ohio. But in my experience any nonpolitical person on the street, when asked who will win, not only knows but gets a look as if you’re teasing him. Trump, they say.

I had such a conversation again Tuesday with a friend who repairs shoes in a shop on Lexington Avenue. Jimmy asked me, conversationally, what was going to happen. I deflected and asked who he thinks is going to win. “Troomp!” He’s a very nice man, an elderly, old-school Italian-American, but I saw impatience flick across his face: Aren’t you supposed to know these things?

In America now only normal people are capable of seeing the obvious.

But actually that’s been true for a while, and is how we got in the position we’re in.

Last October I wrote of the five stages of Trump, based on the Kübler-Ross stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Most of the professionals I know are stuck somewhere between four and five.

But I keep thinking of how Donald Trump got to be the very likely Republican nominee. There are many answers and reasons, but my thoughts keep revolving around the idea of protection. It is a theme that has been something of a preoccupation in this space over the years, but I think I am seeing it now grow into an overall political dynamic throughout the West.

There are the protected and the unprotected. The protected make public policy. The unprotected live in it. The unprotected are starting to push back, powerfully.

The protected are the accomplished, the secure, the successful—those who have power or access to it. They are protected from much of the roughness of the world. More to the point, they are protected from the world they have created. Again, they make public policy and have for some time.

I want to call them the elite to load the rhetorical dice, but let’s stick with the protected.

They are figures in government, politics and media. They live in nice neighborhoods, safe ones. Their families function, their kids go to good schools, they’ve got some money. All of these things tend to isolate them, or provide buffers. Some of them—in Washington it is important officials in the executive branch or on the Hill; in Brussels, significant figures in the European Union—literally have their own security details.

Because they are protected they feel they can do pretty much anything, impose any reality. They’re insulated from many of the effects of their own decisions.

One issue obviously roiling the U.S. and western Europe is immigration. It is THE issue of the moment, a real and concrete one but also a symbolic one: It stands for all the distance between governments and their citizens.

It is of course the issue that made Donald Trump.

Britain will probably leave the European Union over it. In truth immigration is one front in that battle, but it is the most salient because of the European refugee crisis and the failure of the protected class to address it realistically and in a way that offers safety to the unprotected.

If you are an unprotected American—one with limited resources and negligible access to power—you have absorbed some lessons from the past 20 years’ experience of illegal immigration. You know the Democrats won’t protect you and the Republicans won’t help you. Both parties refused to control the border. The Republicans were afraid of being called illiberal, racist, of losing a demographic for a generation. The Democrats wanted to keep the issue alive to use it as a wedge against the Republicans and to establish themselves as owners of the Hispanic vote.

Many Americans suffered from illegal immigration—its impact on labor markets, financial costs, crime, the sense that the rule of law was collapsing. But the protected did fine—more workers at lower wages. No effect of illegal immigration was likely to hurt them personally.

It was good for the protected. But the unprotected watched and saw. They realized the protected were not looking out for them, and they inferred that they were not looking out for the country, either.

The unprotected came to think they owed the establishment—another word for the protected—nothing, no particular loyalty, no old allegiance.

Mr. Trump came from that.

Similarly in Europe, citizens on the ground in member nations came to see the EU apparatus as a racket—an elite that operated in splendid isolation, looking after its own while looking down on the people.

In Germany the incident that tipped public opinion against the Chancellor Angela Merkel’s liberal refugee policy happened on New Year’s Eve in the public square of Cologne. Packs of men said to be recent migrants groped and molested groups of young women. It was called a clash of cultures, and it was that, but it was also wholly predictable if any policy maker had cared to think about it. And it was not the protected who were the victims—not a daughter of EU officials or members of the Bundestag. It was middle- and working-class girls—the unprotected, who didn’t even immediately protest what had happened to them. They must have understood that in the general scheme of things they’re nobodies.

What marks this political moment, in Europe and the U.S., is the rise of the unprotected. It is the rise of people who don’t have all that much against those who’ve been given many blessings and seem to believe they have them not because they’re fortunate but because they’re better.

You see the dynamic in many spheres. In Hollywood, as we still call it, where they make our rough culture, they are careful to protect their own children from its ill effects. In places with failing schools, they choose not to help them through the school liberation movement—charter schools, choice, etc.—because they fear to go up against the most reactionary professional group in America, the teachers unions. They let the public schools flounder. But their children go to the best private schools.

This is a terrible feature of our age—that we are governed by protected people who don’t seem to care that much about their unprotected fellow citizens.

And a country really can’t continue this way.

In wise governments the top is attentive to the realities of the lives of normal people, and careful about their anxieties. That’s more or less how America used to be. There didn’t seem to be so much distance between the top and the bottom.

Now is seems the attitude of the top half is: You’re on your own. Get with the program, little racist.

Social philosophers are always saying the underclass must re-moralize. Maybe it is the overclass that must re-moralize.

I don’t know if the protected see how serious this moment is, or their role in it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    He's still what he was in the beginning, the reality TV candidate. Who ever he hired that proposed this style of campaign is going to be absolutely the richest political strategist on record in two years. Everybody will rush to copy this success and the next off year election will look like a cross between the WWE and a dog fight. Some incumbents and other aspiring leaders won't embrace the new campaign reality and will simply be unable to adapt. There will be a whole new group though that will snarl, shout, and posture better than Hulk Hogan and Rowdy Roddy Piper. This year we may have a choice between two candidates who aren't even remotely connected to the electorate, the obnoxious loud rich boy, and the insane creepy Machiavellian lawyer. I'll vote for Trump because 2A is a litmus test for me and hilly will never pass it, but truth is she just gives me the shudders. Sadly it will move the real power of government further into the cabal of dc law firms while we are all being distracted by the show.

I miss Roddy Piper........

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011

Look at the brain on miguel! Hammer hits the nail.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Every single organization, entity, mainstream media outlet, politically correct person hates him.

Mexico hates him really really bad

England wanted to ban him.

He says he'll build a wall.

He is not politically correct.

He actually goes after those that go after him, unlike the republicans that sit there and take it, thereby admitting guilt by silence.

He actually has real world foriegn experience.

He says he'll bomb the hell out of ISIS.

He's done more to beat back political correctness than anyone in our lifetime.

Only candidate NOT bought by anyone. Sanders is union bought for those feeling the bern.

He's the farthest from washington of any candidate, still close though.

Mexico Hates him. So what? How does that actually advance American interests? And who cares if England wants to ban him? This proves exactly nothing whatsoever.

He's not politically correct. But nobody with manners and behavior that bad ever could be. It's one thing to have people mad at you because you have unpopular principles and are voicing them. It's another to have people mad at you because your a thin-skinned ignorant jerk that thinks bullying and insult are advocating for anything other than an outsized ego.

He goes that go after him. Yup. Personally, with a pettiness and vindiciveness that remind one of a certain current President. It's about HIM PERSONALLY. You think he'd fighting for YOU with his nasty insults? And what will he do when YOU try to hold him accountable? Won't he be just as nasty?

Real world foreign experience? Hiring Polish illegals to do work for you isn't 'real world foreign experience' anymore than sleeping with supermodels from another country.

He says he'll bomb ISIS. Then what? Hmm? Cozy up to Assad? Install a puppet regime? Ground war? Do tell what this foreign policy genius is going to do. Otherwise, it's just the same policy as Obama-- lob a couple bombs into Libya and walk away from the mess.

He's not only failed to beat back political correctness, he will make it much, much worse. Because he discredits all opposition to PC as being similarly unprincipled, unhinged, and boorish. Now none of us can voice our anti-PC objections without being associated with the jerk.

Trump isn't bought by anyone? I think you meant to say that Trump isn't accountable to anyone at all. He's rogue warrior whose loyalty is completely unknown --and worse--completely unpredictable. What will you do when Trump turns on you? When you call and voice opposition to his sister as a SCOTUS nominee? He will shout you down and bully you just like he does anyone who opposes him. What makes you think you can contain or manage Trump? The only basis we have for trusting him is his integrity, which is not exactly sterling.

Farthest from Washington? You meant closest to the mob...

Top Bottom