• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Assume a defensive handgun with a 15+1 round capacity (an average specimen).

How many magazines per pistol feels right for you?

My primary interest is in how many you own. Whether you have one such pistol, a few, or many might influence your perspective on this. How many you carry CCW is interesting too, if you care to say.

I'm trying to hold back from buying too many magazines. Mags I won't actually need (maybe) but make sense to own if you're apprehensive about the current state of affairs and/or are a prepper at heart.

I'm hoping The Voice of Reason will show up and keep me out of trouble. :D

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you are talking about carrying, then i carry one extra for most. 1911s, i might have 2 or 3 extras.

If you are talking extra mags for the gun, for my regular range guns I will have at least 8-10 spares because I don't reload at the range. What I consider my SHTF guns, I have more than that.

AR and Ak mags are a whole different thing.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If you are talking about carrying, then i carry one extra for most. 1911s, i might have 2 or 3 extras.

If you are talking extra mags for the gun, for my regular range guns I will have at least 8-10 spares because I don't reload at the range. What I consider my SHTF guns, I have more than that.

What he said. There is no such thing as too many unless it is some obscure little pistol you never intend to use. 10 minimum. I have literally (the proper use of the word), dozens and dozens for Glocks, AR's and AK's.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have 12 spares for my 1911’s that fit both and 3 more that only fit the compact. I will be buying more. AR mags, well if I had any that weren’t in a lake I’d have 20+.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    ...my regular range guns have at least 8-10 spares because I don't reload at the range. What I consider my SHTF guns, I have more than that.

Good man! =D
    Sounds like my natural instincts are par for the course. Ah, but my budget won't take the strain. Ha!

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    There is no such thing as too many unless it is some obscure little pistol you never intend to use. 10 minimum.
    I learned recently that magazines for those obscure pistols can be really expensive. If a good price turns up, I would stock up on those especially.
    I have literally (the proper use of the word), dozens and dozens for Glocks, AR's and AK's.
    I've been there. Joined a 12-step program and got clean...but now I seem to be falling off the wagon a bit... =O

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I hear ya. Makes us all wonder what's in the truck... =]

My first carry gun (in a state where there was no CCW) was an S&W Chief's Special given to me by my Dad. 'Put a Pachmyer Decellerator grip on it and man, what a fine, accurate little piece. I used to carry a 5rnd speedloader (or two) in a pocket.
    ;) My spare mag.

12 ga. ext. mag. 8 rnds. #4 buck. Currently a mossy 500.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I have five or six for my carry guns. I'm getting older, so I don't feel the need for many more lying around.

I usually carry one extra mag when out and about. At home, I most likely have a j frame in my pocket.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Pistols don’t work very well without magazines. As somebody already said, magazines are a consumable.

Having to many magazines is sort of like having to much sex. Of course both cost money and eventually that becomes a limiting factor.

Top Bottom