• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Assume a defensive handgun with a 15+1 round capacity (an average specimen).

How many magazines per pistol feels right for you?

My primary interest is in how many you own. Whether you have one such pistol, a few, or many might influence your perspective on this. How many you carry CCW is interesting too, if you care to say.

I'm trying to hold back from buying too many magazines. Mags I won't actually need (maybe) but make sense to own if you're apprehensive about the current state of affairs and/or are a prepper at heart.

I'm hoping The Voice of Reason will show up and keep me out of trouble. :D
    I carry one extra magazine around my local area. I carry two if I plan on going outside my local area.

At home I have at least 6 factory magazines minimum for each semi-auto pistol. Some several more than that.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm a minimum of 5 per firearm(handgun). And if It's a duplicate firearm then 10. I like to keep range mags ready to go. As far as the AR platform, let's just say there's a significant increase in quantity there

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Carry: one spare on average. I used to do two, but that seems a bit much anymore, mostly meaning a bit much for how heavy they are, lol.

Own: I start feeling feel “OK” at 8-10. I’m comfortable at 15-20. If cared for, a mag should be good for years and year, but they DO wear out. It’s hard to have too many spares!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For a carry gun, I like to keep 8 to 10. I'm running closer to the 13 to 15 level on the Sigs though. I can't seem to pass up a decent price on used Sig mags

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Minimum 5 per handgun preferable 10 , without it's magazine a gun is basically useless. That being said good magazines last a long time when cared for properly and I always have replacement spring kits for all magazines.

Also call me crazy, but I am always worried about potential future bans. I want to have enough mags for my carry gun for it to be irrelevant.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll throw in a little controversy here. :cool:

I chose the striker/polymer pistol platform for self defense that I did with magazine availability and versatility in mind. Will the most likely mag I find on the ground fit in my gun? Will the mags on my belt fit in the majority of pistols other folks carry?

Will these same mags fit in the likeliest PCC I'll run across? Are larger capacity versions of the magazines in my pistol or PCC readily available and economical?

Couple of magazine capacity tips...
    - Two mags on the belt carry and cover much better than the bumps and bulges of a single one, on top of spreading out to not work so much as a single lever on your belt.
    - If your pistol uses 15 round mags, 17 rounders on the belt cost you little to nothing in space and add versatility of fitting in the longer grip version of your pistol.
    - 33 round "fun sticks" are quite handy for vehicle ammo storage, with the benefit of fitting your pistol/PCC and belt carrier.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    ;) My spare mag.

12 ga. ext. mag. 8 rnds. #4 buck. Currently a mossy 500.
    Woe to the truckjacker who takes a shine to yours.
    Not asking you to disclose publicly, but I wonder how to conceal a full-size shotgun in a vehicle and still have it quickly available. Depending on where you live, I guess it could just be a gunrack against the back window. I would like to live there...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Woe to the truckjacker who takes a shine to yours.
    Not asking you to disclose publicly, but I wonder how to conceal a full-size shotgun in a vehicle and still have it quickly available. Depending on where you live, I guess it could just be a gunrack against the back window. I would like to live there...
    Back of back seat folds down, between bench top and folded down back. That’s where my 122 lb. Male German Shepard sits. Working Line dog. One of them is pretty much with me all the time. They live for truck jackers.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Pistols don’t work very well without magazines. As somebody already said, magazines are a consumable.
    I treat my magazines like gold and only buy original mfr mags (apparently the OEM is Mec-Gar) so I expect them to live as long as the pistol, barring any feed-lip damage. But I see your point.
    Having to many magazines is sort of like having to much sex. Of course both cost money and eventually that becomes a limiting factor.
    Hahaha. I never pay money for sex, but I guess we all pay in other ways. I do pay $ for magazines though, and they're damned expensive at present. Looking at buying used LE trade-in mags, hoping the springs aren't shot.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Minimum 5 per handgun preferable 10 , without it's magazine a gun is basically useless. That being said good magazines last a long time when cared for properly
    That's my take, too.
    and I always have replacement spring kits for all magazines.
    The best price I see for the magazines springs I would need is about $5 per spring (original mfr, I think). Is there a cheap source for quality mag springs (OEM), maybe sold in a 10-pack?
    Also call me crazy, but I am always worried about potential future bans. I want to have enough mags for my carry gun for it to be irrelevant.
    I don't think you're crazy at all. I remember the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban all too well, and the CORRUPT, SUBVERSIVE SOB in the whitehouse now has far worse intentions.

Prior to the Clinton Ban, Glock 19 mags were selling for maybe $18. During the ban, I recall seeing much-used specimens at $90 asking price.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A bunch.

This is one reason I don't play gun of the month. I have *good* holsters, recoil springs and other wear parts, and plenty of magazines for the types of guns I own. It is expensive and time consuming to get the logistical support behind a new platform and new guns seldom do anything old guns don't do. The last time I tried to expand was in to a P227, which takes the same holsters as my P226 and P220s do, and quickly realized the mags were a bother, mag carriers were a bother, and it did nothing better than what I already had, so I traded it for another P220 and extra mags.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My main interest is 1911s I carry one as well. With the ones that came with the guns, the spares I have bought and the good deals I couldn't pass up I probably have 80. Other guns 2 or 3 per

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Own: I start feeling feel “OK” at 8-10. I’m comfortable at 15-20. If cared for, a mag should be good for years and years, but they DO wear out. It’s hard to have too many spares!
    Yeah. I've straightened bent feed lips, but it doesn't always work perfectly. I'm really careful now not to drop mags on the ground when practicing reloads. Barring big mishaps, mine should last indefinitely.

And if I understand correctly, the current consensus is that the springs in magazines LEFT LOADED are (for the most part) unaffected. Apparently, mag springs are weakened by repeated compression and decompression...maybe. I keep mine loaded, two rounds light, so IF the aforementioned theory is correct, I should be good until they plant me.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    A bunch.

This is one reason I don't play gun of the month. I have *good* holsters, recoil springs and other wear parts, and plenty of magazines for the types of guns I own. It is expensive and time consuming to get the logistical support behind a new platform and new guns seldom do anything old guns don't do.
    AMEN in all respects.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    10 is a good start. But I'd consider 20 enough. Mags are a consumable item. Yes they can be "rebuilt" with springs but eventually they can wear out.

Mags rarely go down in value either. So in a pinch, you could sell them for some cash.
    I'll never shoot enough to wear out any mags. Dropping em, stepping on em, running them over...THAT's what'll do me in.

Good point about investment potential, but I can't bring myself to sell defensive gear. The only exception is when I sold EVERYTHING related to Glock after Glock, Inc pulled some serious BS on me. I had lots of Glock mags, but dumped every one of them...and every pistol, too.
    Fock Glock.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hide a loaded mag with emergency cash in each vehicle. Have at least 5 for range. 2 on person.

Top Bottom