M1 Carbine: Surprised My Grandpa (Korean War Veteran)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Continued from these two previous threads:

First M1 Carbine:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/327957-first-m1-carbine.html

M1 Carbine help needed:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/329580-m1-carbine-help-needed.html

For those who may not have seen my previous threads. I purchased an M1 Carbine in January. During Thanksgiving I was talking to my grandpa about how I was saving up to purchase an M1 Garand (because they are beautiful rifles, I have always wanted one, and I was under the impression he carried one during his time in Korea). He told me that from 1952-54 he actually carried an M1 Carbine. My grandpa has never been one to talk about his time in South Korea. None of my aunts, uncles, or cousins still to this day know much of anything about his time spent there. I was hoping that surprising him with a USGI Carbine would get him to tell me a couple some of his experiences during the Korean War.

I called my grandpa up a few weeks ago and told him that I was planning to stop by and show him a surprise that I had for him. When I showed up, he asked me if I had purchased a new rabbit gun (he's always enjoyed hunting rabbits). When I opened the case on my grandma and grandpas kitchen table, his expression was indescribable. Before I could even pick up the rifle, he had it in his hands racking the action back and letting it slam forward. I asked him if he wanted to go shoot the next morning at our family farm, where I recently built a range (with Bobcat Steel) and he was ecstatic.

I picked him up that morning to go shoot and the stories already began flowing. Within 24 hours I learned 10x's more about his time in Korea than anyone in my family ever new in the past 60 years. I won't go on to talk about his time there because I feel that there was a reason he never openly talked about the war, and a reason he chose to share his experiences with me. My grandpa is an amazing man. He was in Korea from 1952- 1954 (middle of the war until January after the war ended). He was stationed along the 38th parallel near the current border of North and South Korea, in a mountainous region, near the city of Panmunjom.

I'll let the pictures tell how the day went. He was still hitting 6 inch plates at 50 yards.

01-20140531_095731.jpg

03-20140531_100057.jpg

04-20140531_100121.jpg

05-20140531_100141.jpg

06-20140531_100803.jpg

07-20140531_100809.jpg

10-20140531_101516.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    One story he did tell that I thought was really neat was how he kept his letters. During the 2 years in Korea, he put every letter that he received from my grandma in an ammo can that he described as being a little smaller than a .30 caliber steel ammo can. He said that he kept them in there to keep them dry. At the end of the war, before he made the 16 day ride across the Pacific, he buried the ammo can full of my grandmas letters. He never said exactly why, he just said, " I just did". They will celebrate 60 years together this week.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great story! My Grandfather's both fought in WWII in Europe. One carried the M1 Carbine, the other a BAR. I had a similar experience when I shared my M1 carbine with the one that carried that rifle in the war. He did the same thing...picked it up, did a function check, and looked instantly 30 years younger. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to shoot it, but we did get to talk for a few hours about the war. He was the same way...never talked much about it. But he did open up a bit, and in fact showed me about 7 hand written pages he's compiled since the war recounting some of his memories.

This was the same grandfather that brought back a K98k from France, and kept it his basement. About 60 years later he showed it to my dad and me. I picked it up and made a rather flippant comment of "imagine the stories this rifle could tell." With a fire in his eye and tone of voice I'd never hear before or since, he firmly said "You wouldn't want to know."

I get choked up recounting that memory for two reasons. 1) I was afraid my insensitivity may have insulted him personally and 2) the passion that he said it with made it very clear how hard it is to be in combat and how much civilians like me take that for granted some times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Great story! My Grandfather's both fought in WWII in Europe. One carried the M1 Carbine, the other a BAR. I had a similar experience when I shared my M1 carbine with the one that carried that rifle in the war. He did the same thing...picked it up, did a function check, and looked instantly 30 years younger. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to shoot it, but we did get to talk for a few hours about the war. He was the same way...never talked much about it. But he did open up a bit, and in fact showed me about 7 hand written pages he's compiled since the war recounting some of his memories.

This was the same grandfather that brought back a K98k from France, and kept it his basement. About 60 years later he showed it to my dad and me. I picked it up and made a rather flippant comment of "imagine the stories this rifle could tell." With a fire in his eye and tone of voice I'd never hear before or since, he firmly said "You wouldn't want to know."

I get choked up recounting that memory for two reasons. 1) I was afraid my insensitivity may have insulted him personally and 2) the passion that he said it with made it very clear how hard it is to be in combat and how much civilians like me take that for granted some times.

This is very true. My 2 favorite uncles were career Army. Both were decorated rangers. It was on rare occasions such as you and the OP describe that they shared of their time in combat. Once they get those experiences put away and rejoin society it is painful to let them out again. Even harder to put them away.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I've noticed that when you put a garand, carbine, or Thompson in one of these mens' hands, even if it's been 60+ years, they grab them up familiar as ever with them. Spend that time you have with him, youll not regret it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I forgot to add that after that day, I asked him if we could sit down in the coming weeks to dig through his pictures. I expressed how I wanted to hear all about everything and he was very open to having me come over to dig through old photos, etc. After that happens I plan to either record it all somehow, or just jot notes down while we're talking so that I can write up a paper about my grandpa's history. That way, my aunt and 3 uncles, plus 18 cousins can realize how much he did for all of us.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Outstanding post, WTBH! Just outstanding. One of the best reads I've seen on here in awhile. Absolutely loved it, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me think of my own Grampa, along with a couple of uncles, and how much I wish I had been old enough to talk to them about their service before time ran out. You both got something special from this time together. :yesway:

Top Bottom