• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I was extremely excited to receive my first M1 Carbine! Until I got to TopGuns to pick it up...

I bought this M1 on gunbroker for a decent price (I had another thread about the purchase) and he never mentioned anything about a crack in the stock. Well there are 3 of them and 1 of them goes all the way from the magazine port through the side and to the tip of the forearm. That's all just cosmetic and I believe it may have happened during shipping because the crack looks fairly new and it traveled from Texas to Indiana overnight. I believe we will file a claim with FedEx once the seller gets back to me.

To put icing on the cake, I loaded up a magazine just to cycle some rounds through it and came upon another problem! The bolt does not grasp over top of the cartridge. It pushes it into the chamber but the handle does not get far enough forward to even lock because the primer is not going into the bolt face (sorry if I used the wrong terms).

How can I fix this?

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    Return it if it didn't match your description. I find it hard to believe 3 cracks came from shipping. A decent original stock is gunna cost u atleast 75-100. The bullet not catching could also be a number of things, some being costly... Where did you purchase this from?

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Make sure the channel the operating rod rides in has plenty of grease. Make sure the chamber is clean and sometimes a bump with the palm of your hand will work.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It feels like it is the extractor. I'm new to Carbines so i'm not sure how the extractor is suppose to be angled but it is hard to move the extractor even with my finger. Its almost like the extractor plung spring is too tight; therefore, the extractor cannot rise over the lip of the cartridge?

I got it from a guy on gunbroker. The two small cracks look like they may have been there, but the long crack looks new. It would not have been that big of a deal if it were for the issue that this thing is not even able to shoot right now. I got a good deal on it, so buying a new stock would not be the end of the world, especially since I knew I probably would at some point because this one had been refinished.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Did it come with a inspection period?

As is- no inspection :/

Warthog- it is a 1943 Winchester.

I asked this same question on suprlusrifleforum.com and I had a guy state that he thinks it is because I am not slamming the bolt shut to load the rifle. (I haven't done so because I don't have a safe place to do it with live ammo right now) I was operating it like a bolt action, but figured it would still latch on once closed? I guess I will try to pull the bolt back and let it slam forward to see if the extractor catches that way. (like it would normally be loaded/fired).

ugh, this is why I was so reluctant to even buy from gunbroker. He sent me tons of good photos and none of them showed stock cracks.

Has anyone ever filed a shipping claim with FedEx for a firearm?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    alright so nevermind the extractor issue. I guess the fact is that you must let the bolt slam forward for it to catch the cartridge. After I did this, it cycled just fine. The crack is the only problem with the order, which isn't a huge deal I guess. Worst case scenario I will just have to find a correct stock for my carbine.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    alright so nevermind the extractor issue. I guess the fact is that you must let the bolt slam forward for it to catch the cartridge. After I did this, it cycled just fine. The crack is the only problem with the order, which isn't a huge deal I guess. Worst case scenario I will just have to find a correct stock for my carbine.
    I'm glad that was the problem.
    I've found that folks with these carbines don't ever disassemble the bolt for cleaning. oftentimes, they wait untill there are extraction or ejection problems. (not that I've ever done that :rolleyes:) This is because the bolt can be a royal pain to disassemble and reassemble. To do it hassle-free, you should just resign yourself that you are getting or borrowing the bolt disassembly tool. Oh, while you're at it, get the piston retainer nut wrench too.
    I know you will really enjoy owning one of these historic carbines.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The seller just called me back and after a long phone call he stated that he was definitely sure there were no cracks in the stock when it left Texas. I said hopefully you have pictures because I sent him all of mine from after-the-fact and he is going to file an insurance claim with FedEx. Hopefully they can pay for a USGI stock and handguard. This could be interesting...

Has anyone experience an insurance claim for a firearm and how did it resolve?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Its still a nice rifle with great history, but I needed to vent to INGO

Here are some pictures of the cracks. I could see the two darker ones having been there (and they aren't really too noticeable without the Macro of a camera, but the splinter of the long one looks rather fresh to me and I do believe that was done during transportation.

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    if you're going to the 1500, I bet there will be folks selling .30 Carbine stock sets there. Then you can even pick your favorite.

Yeah this one looks to be re-finished anyway, but it was just a shock at first because I had no idea there would be any cracks in it when I got it. Eventually i'd like to get an original USGI set anyway that matches the 1943 receiver. Either way i'm still happy with it and getting excited to take it out this weekend.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Also, when I pulled off the handgaurd I found it engraved underneath. It said " EJ CAMPBELL 640-64-1661". I pulled off the butt plate and it also had his name and that number engraved underneath it. Under the buttplate he had also engraved a 7 digit number 580----, but I couldn't read it all. Is there a way to search for this person or find records of any kind?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    it might be just me......but that crack doesn't look like it just happen....:twocents:

That's my same thought. I think the two were definitely there before (which he says they weren't) but the long one honestly looks like it just may have happened. Either way, the seller is working with me and he has documented pictures so that helps a lot.

Top Bottom