• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    How did I do INGO?

I've been watching m1 Garands and M1 Carbines for sometime now and finally won a bid on a carbine that I thought was a pretty decent deal.

I've been wanting to purchase one to take my grandpa out to our land and shoot it. He doesn't like to talk about his time in Korea, but over thanksgiving I told him that I was looking to purchase an M1 Garand. He went on to tell me about his experience with the Garand (and how heavy they were) during basic training but told me that he carried the Carbine (and how everyone hated them for their weak cartridge) while he was deployed. Ever since then I have been looking for a budget shooter that I could take out with him to shoot.

I'm a little nervous if he will even want to do so because he is so hesitant to talk about his experiences, but he just turned 85 and I want to have the opportunity to do this before it is too late. I hope he enjoys it as much as I do/will. I'll keep you updated when I actually get to the range with him.

How did I do on this one?
    Winchester 30 M1 Carbine : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thank your grandpa for me. I think you did pretty well at that price. It looks like it has a refinished stock that is too glossy, but darn good price and easy to fix!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Can't comment on the purchase price as I lack experience and knowledge of the field, but I like the idea of taking grandpa out to shoot. If he won't shoot maybe he will instruct you on the use and care of the carbine. Just doing that may open some doors for you.

I also like the idea because my father is 87. He did not do any fighting. He was on ship heading for Japan on V-J Day. He served his time as part of the occupation forces and was back home in Tennessee with a wife, one son, and me on the way when Korea started. I might try purchasing an M1 as a way to get him out to the range instead of just sitting in his apartment. Might help him remember some stories he has not told me. He has been honest about his service, no "war stories" because he never fired a shot after basic—or something like that, but I would like to hear what he remembers.

Great idea. Tip of the hat to one of America's finest.

Chevyman540

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    LaPorte
    Thank looks like a nice score.
    I picked one up back in March and took it over to my inlaws, My father inlaw carried one in Korea. When he seen it, his eyes lit up and had a big smile on his face. He started to tell a story, then the mother inlaw walked in and silence took over. he normally don't talked about the war, but get him alone and sometimes he starts to reminisce.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thank looks like a nice score.
    I picked one up back in March and took it over to my inlaws, My father inlaw carried one in Korea. When he seen it, his eyes lit up and had a big smile on his face. He started to tell a story, then the mother inlaw walked in and silence took over. he normally don't talked about the war, but get him alone and sometimes he starts to reminisce.

Im hoping that's what happens when I show this one to my grandpa as well!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like some others above, I don't know that much about the values of these things but it seems like you got a pretty good deal. It definitely looks like it's in very nice condition.

Good luck with your grand dad and I hope you guys have a great time!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If it indeed all Winchester, then I would say you got a decent deal. Have fun with it. They are fun to shoot!

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Fun to shoot . Appears to be a decent value and looks to be in good shape.
    Best part is getting your grandpa out to shoot with you , your creating new memories and allow him to let out his thoughts , thanks to all the men and women who serve and have served .
    you allow me my freedom .
    i can't thank enough veterans .

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Fun to shoot . Appears to be a decent value and looks to be in good shape.
    Best part is getting your grandpa out to shoot with you , your creating new memories and allow him to let out his thoughts , thanks to all the men and women who serve and have served .
    you allow me my freedom .
    i can't thank enough veterans .
    This is worth a lot, just in and of itself!

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Excellent find! My grandpa served in Korea as a body guard in the Air Police. I have been wanting to collect a nice M1 and carbine, an it seems you scored a good find!

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Awesome! I absolutely love my M1 Carbine, it's a really easy and accurate shooter, this summer it's going to be my son's first rifle practice with a non .22. I really highly recommend tearing it down and giving it a thorough cleaning, there's a good how-to video on it here: M1 Carbine Disassembly - YouTube

They're pretty easy to maintain. Based on some advice from Mike at BMG Repair I grease mine with this stuff:

Super Lube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon Multi Purpose Lubricant 3 oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

Nice and clean and no FTF's.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks guys. I feel good about the purchase and should have it in hand by the end of the week! Now I need to start stocking .30 Carbine ammo haha. I'm hoping to get my grandpa out within the next couple of months but I plan on surprising him with it rather than telling him prior.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Awesome! I absolutely love my M1 Carbine, it's a really easy and accurate shooter, this summer it's going to be my son's first rifle practice with a non .22. I really highly recommend tearing it down and giving it a thorough cleaning, there's a good how-to video on it here: M1 Carbine Disassembly - YouTube

They're pretty easy to maintain. Based on some advice from Mike at BMG Repair I grease mine with this stuff:

Super Lube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon Multi Purpose Lubricant 3 oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

Nice and clean and no FTF's.

Thanks for the advice and link. I watched that video and came upon this one in the suggested videos that I thought was pretty cool. It was made in 1945 to explain the new m2 design to soldiers I believe. Either way, a very cool video, I think.

WW2: The M2 Carbine (1945) - YouTube

Top Bottom