• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Want to purchase a new 9mm and have narrowed it down to either a full size m&p or a Glock 17. Don't really intend on carrying the gun, just for shooting. Just curious about everyone's opinions on the two, any help is appreciated.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    What fits your hand the best would be my choice. Personally I like the feel of a Gen 3 17. If you haven't shot one I'm pretty sure that ITP has a 17 that they rent, I"m not sure about an M&P.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would personaly go with the M&P, I like the way they feel in the hand compaired to the Glock. But either will do you just fine. Might want to try and shoot some to help you make your choice.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My wife has a Gen 3 Glock 19 and I enjoy shooting it. I have a M&P .45 and I love it. Try them all out and see what you like. Don't forget the M&P Shield 9mm. You can't go wrong with Glock or S&W.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Both handgun models are from companies with good reputations. I will echo what others posters have said. Try them both and see which one you prefer. I can't stand how the Glocks feel in my hand yet the M&P grip is one of the best ones out there for me. This is why the M&P is on my wish list. I just have to decide between the compact or the fullsize model for my needs.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    What fits your hand the best would be my choice. Personally I like the feel of a Gen 3 17. If you haven't shot one I'm pretty sure that ITP has a 17 that they rent, I"m not sure about an M&P.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Win. It's all about the the way you like the feel, they are both great pistols.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Beretta 92/M9

Beretta's were not really one of the choices!

Glocks are good S&W's are good. I have both. I actually prefer the M&P. I like the way the M&P feels to me. But thats me. It basically comes down to what your preference is for the fit because both the Glock and M&P will run and run and run. The M&P has came on so strong that like the Glock there is a ton of whatever parts you want and both companies have GREAT customer service.

Good Luck

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have the M&P in 40 and the Glock 19 Gen 4. Both have been perfect on reliability. I originally went with the M&P because earlier generation Glocks didn't feel good in my hand. The Gen 4 Glock was the first one that felt good to me. Get the one you want and feels best in your hand and you will have no regrets on either of them.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've owned a Gen 3 Glock 22 and a Gen 4 Glock 19, as well as an M&P40c. I don't think there's any difference in reliability, durability, whatever between them. I just like how the M&P feels better. Hold them both, see what you like, you can't go wrong.

BLOOVMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    Both are very reliable fighting pistols. I have some 50,000 rounds through my Glock 19 and it is about as reliable as it gets. I've seen both Glocks and M&Ps go through our classes and seen little difference in terms of reliability or accuracy. The Glock does have a much more positive trigger reset point when compared to the M&P, which is a good thing. M&P users unhappy with their trigger can install an aftermarket APEX trigger which may greatly improve its feel.

Some like the grip on the M&P more, and I must say it is comfortable. It also comes with interchangeable backstraps, which allows the user to select the most suitable grip size for their hands. That being said, Generation 4 Glocks now have a slightly slimmer grip, and feature interchangeable backstraps as well, but they seem thin and less well executed. I personally prefer the Gen 3 Glock with a Grip Force Adapter.

All in all, I'd suggest just trying both and seeing which one you like more. They are both great guns, and available at very attractive price points.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have not shot glock, but am contemplating one.
    I do have an m&p 9 and I am thrilled with it... BUT, I was really disappointed with the first 200 rounds, until I put an apex trigger kit in it. It was a world of difference.
    The pre travel on the apex is ALOT, but it was a HUGE improvement for me (and it seems alot of other m&p owners). There are also many owners that say the trigger gets smoother as you put 500 or so rounds through it.

In any event, I agree that whatever feels best in your hand is important. But also consider you *might* have another $90 in an apex kit.

I agree with others who say try shooting both before making a decision.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Been a long time Glocker, testing out the M&P for a while. Think the Glock fits my hand better. Not really impressed with all the M&P pre-travel, even with the Apex stuff installed. I know they do have a replacement trigger as well, but we'll see how it goes. In all reality, once you start shooting strings, you really don't notice a difference.

One is really no better than the better, it's really just what fits your hand and which trigger you prefer.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    You won't go wrong either way, personally id take the Glock only because i shoot the 17 very well.

I wouldn't spend money on a new trigger/trigger job for either just buy some bulk ammo and have fun it will take care of itself.

Top Bottom