• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Just did the finger prints the place was so sketch lol. Only thing I’m kinda confused about is my local PD fee I thought the license was free now and also I haven’t gotten a clear answer on where to go. I called state PD and tried to call my local but it forwarded me to Clark County Sheriffs Office. Indiana State PD firearm division said to try to call Borden PD and ask but got forwarded to Clark they forwarded me to state again and I got a different answer lol.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I got mine under 2 years ago when I came back to Indiana. Any fees are to the independent contractor doing your finger prints. As far as local P.D. If you live out in the country, then you will go to the Sheriff's Dept. of your county. If you live in town than you go to that P.D. I was told to wait a week after getting finger printed to visit my local police dept. to make sure everything had been summited and ready for them to process and send to the state.

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    I got mine under 2 years ago when I came back to Indiana. Any fees are to the independent contractor doing your finger prints. As far as local P.D. If you live out in the country, then you will go to the Sheriff's Dept. of your county. If you live in town than you go to that P.D. I was told to wait a week after getting finger printed to visit my local police dept. to make sure everything had been summited and ready for them to process and send to the state.
    I live in a small town in the sticks (Borden IN) but the PD is legit like right behind my house lol so I was gonna go there and see what they say since I’m not really going far

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Quick question did you get a email or anything a few days after the confirmation one bc on the website it says I’ll get a notification when my finger prints have been processed and idk if that’s after or before I go to my local PD
    I don't remember if I got any email. But I went to my local PD three days after getting printed, and they had them in the system (but they say to wait 10 days). I believe you can also check your application portal online to see the status.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Relax, you can still carry in Indiana without a LTCH. The most I've waited was about a month the first time, but when I returned to Indiana, from Virginia (had a Va. license) I got mine in 2 weeks, the last time, I got my lifetime LTCH, and it took a week and a half, from submittal. YMMV

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Relax, you can still carry in Indiana without a LTCH. The most I've waited was about a month the first time, but when I returned to Indiana, from Virginia (had a Va. license) I got mine in 2 weeks, the last time, I got my lifetime LTCH, and it took a week and a half, from submittal. YMMV
    Yeah I know that but the reason I’m getting my LTCH is bc most people on the Classifieds ask for it and since I’m under 21 that and gun shows is really the only place I’ll get able to get a handgun.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Yeah I know that but the reason I’m getting my LTCH is bc most people on the Classifieds ask for it and since I’m under 21 that and gun shows is really the only place I’ll get able to get a handgun.
    Participate in this forum, it's a great one, and the things you learn will be useful. You're off to a great start.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    My advice for you is to slow down. You seem in a hurry to get everything going in a short time. Things can get aggravating and i for 1 am impatient also. I hate to wait, but somethings are better to wait for. I delt with a similar situation a few months back with my youngest daughters bf. He was 20yrs old, had his LTCH. He just couldn't wait to buy a gun and lied to me to get 1. He had a personal sale to buy a Glock. The guy apparently sold it to someone else. So he had this guy goto a gun shop, buy a new gun for him. Strawbuy plain and simple. Moral of this story. . You will get something when the time is right and ment to be. It takes research on what you need and not just because everyone or that guy has that brand or such. Once you finally get a hg, all that excitement is over and chances are, you won't have what you need or really want.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    My advice for you is to slow down. You seem in a hurry to get everything going in a short time. Things can get aggravating and i for 1 am impatient also. I hate to wait, but somethings are better to wait for. I delt with a similar situation a few months back with my youngest daughters bf. He was 20yrs old, had his LTCH. He just couldn't wait to buy a gun and lied to me to get 1. He had a personal sale to buy a Glock. The guy apparently sold it to someone else. So he had this guy goto a gun shop, buy a new gun for him. Strawbuy plain and simple. Moral of this story. . You will get something when the time is right and ment to be. It takes research on what you need and not just because everyone or that guy has that brand or such. Once you finally get a hg, all that excitement is over and chances are, you won't have what you need or really want.
    Yes, wise words indeed.

@ROOTS54454 Let's say you get your LTCH today, find the exact model you've been researching readily available in the Classies, and buy it ... today.

Now what?

Are you planning to carry it tucked into your pants? Do you have ammo that will reliably feed through it? Are you up to speed on the Indiana gun laws. Have you taken any classes on defensive pistol use?

I'm guessing you still need to purchase a pistol holster, mag holster, and proper gun belt. Those items take time to acquire ... like 4-6 weeks, unless you are able to find something at a local outfitter.

Unless you've been stockpiling ammo, that also takes time to acquire. Then more time to test in your pistol. Another question popped into my mind ... what are you planning to do about magazines? These are the biggest wear item on our pistol, and you will likely need more than what comes with the pistol from the factory. Magazines take time to acquire.

If you haven't already sat through a Guy Relford class on Indiana gun law (or similar by some other well-versed lawyer), that will take time.

There are numerous classes available from various outfits to learn defensive pistol use. Again, it takes time to get this scheduled, then much more time practicing what you've learned.

You received a ton of great information in this thread ... https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/first-personal-gun-training.548967/

I strongly recommend that you slow your roll and get everything in proper order. It's obvious that you're excited to carry a pistol, but a pistol on your hip isn't a magic talisman. You must have the proper knowledge on how and when to use it, the proper training and practice to use it (if you do need to use it), the knowledge of what comes after you've used it, and the moral courage to accept any and all consequences if you need to use your pistol.

Best of success with this venture ... keep asking questions and learning while you work through the process of carrying a handgun. Most importantly, please be patient with the entire process.

Top Bottom