• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    So I just went and did my finger prints for my LTCH and wanna know about some classes in Southern Indiana and overall what I should learn before carrying.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I haven't kept up with who is teaching what, but some things you should probably understand before carrying might be:

The legal aspect of using force in self defense.

The legal aspects of carrying the gun generally.

The fundamentals of marksmanship and some proficiency with them. And most importantly, a keen understanding of your limitations in terms of speed and accuracy at any given distance, and under pressure.

Safe gun handling practices.

An efficient and safe draw stroke and presentation.

How to operate the pistol effectively (reloads, malfunction reduction, reholster safely, one hand operation)

Behavior based threat assessment.

An introduction to the considerations for shoot/no shoot decision making (some of this is legal, some is tactical).

De-escalation, managing unknown contacts, avoiding the fight.

How to treat a gunshot wound on yourself or others.

How to talk to investigators after the fact.

The physical and psychological effects of being involved in a use of force incident and the aftermath.

If you want extra credit, some understanding of contact distance gunfighting problems. Clinch fighting, pistol retention, etc.

This is just what I've come up with off the top of my head.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So I just went and did my finger prints for my LTCH and wanna know about some classes in Southern Indiana and overall what I should learn before carrying.

Look into the Revere's Riders classes for sure. They have a forum here in INGO and are great classes for not a lot of coin.

I see you're way down there... Project Appleseed has classes near Evansville. They specifically have a pistol clinic in May which will teach you the basics of the handgun.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I am hosting a few classes from some national instructors this summer at Riley by Terre Haute. The 2 that I would recommend is a Rangemaster Combative pistol in September it’s a 2 day class taught by Aqil Qadir

As well as a Chuck Haggard class in October Chucks 1 day Close Quarters Handgun is very reasonable.

Good luck

Top Bottom