• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    In the old days, I simply folded my Personal Protection Permit (PPP), complete with thumbprint, and carried it in my wallet's photo folder. Now, I'm trying to fit this oblong piece of pink paper (PPP - hey just like the old days) into my wallet. It isn't the same size as a credit card or any other normal wallet object. Add lamination, and it's an even bigger (no pun intended) challenge.

Anyone know why it is a non-standard size? Certainly can't be to prevent counterfeiting. Any tips on carrying the LTCH. Or is this challenge unique to me?

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

It's just the gov't. in action. Probably put together by the same guy who moved the auto registration signature block to the back of the sheet...

:D

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Just copy it to pink paper and reduce it about 80%. Sign it and them laminate to the size of your drivers license...

Most people will recommend this. I wasn't sure of the exact % reduction, but this is what I would do. Haing said that, I put mine behind my license. Fits fine.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Drivers license and credit cards are 54mm x 86mm
    My LTCH is 50mm x 90mm - laminated it's 60mm x 98mm (Sounds like others have different sizes?)

90% would make the laminated dimensions ~54mm x 88mm. Trimmed properly, it could be the same size as DL and CC. Reducing is a good idea - thanks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is there any reason you can't copy it onto standard, white paper? Does it have to be the original version as sent by the govt?

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Good idea, I was wondering how i would fit it. I did notice that there is absolutely nothing special about it and would take about 5 minutes to duplicate in Publisher.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Is there any reason you can't copy it onto standard, white paper? Does it have to be the original version as sent by the govt?

They are all issued on pink, if you print it on white it will be obvious that it's not from the state and/or a copy. There isn't any law against copying them that I can find, but if you're going to copy it I'd suggest not making it blatantly obvious that it's a copy or they may simply assume it's fake/forged.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They are all issued on pink, if you print it on white it will be obvious that it's not from the state and/or a copy. There isn't any law against copying them that I can find, but if you're going to copy it I'd suggest not making it blatantly obvious that it's a copy or they may simply assume it's fake/forged.

Right. That has always been my thought. One thing that occurred to me is that if, like me, you laminated it before making copies, you could fairly easily recreate it on Word, etc. So forgery doesn't appear to be a concern. So, then I'm wondering, does it have to be one pink paper? Especially now that you don't even have to have your permission slip in possession while in possession.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Right. That has always been my thought. One thing that occurred to me is that if, like me, you laminated it before making copies, you could fairly easily recreate it on Word, etc. So forgery doesn't appear to be a concern. So, then I'm wondering, does it have to be one pink paper? Especially now that you don't even have to have your permission slip in possession while in possession.

I wasn't speaking about them doing anything to keep you from forging it, but that simply seeing one on something other than pink paper would obviously not be official.

To make an example - take the social security card - it's blue. If you were to make a copy of yours (say it's a perfect copy) except it was pink instead - it would not matter how good you were at reproducing the security features as it would be obvious it's a fake.

If you want to copy and resize it, that's up to you - but if you don't want an officer to question the license when you show it to them - put it on pink paper.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating fake/false/counterfeit documents or the production of such documents in any way, shape, or form.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wasn't speaking about them doing anything to keep you from forging it, but that simply seeing one on something other than pink paper would obviously not be official.

To make an example - take the social security card - it's blue. If you were to make a copy of yours (say it's a perfect copy) except it was pink instead - it would not matter how good you were at reproducing the security features as it would be obvious it's a fake.

If you want to copy and resize it, that's up to you - but if you don't want an officer to question the license when you show it to them - put it on pink paper.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating fake/false/counterfeit documents or the production of such documents in any way, shape, or form.

At the risk of appearing arguemenative--which is not my intention...

And maybe Kirk or Bill, etc may be able to point to an IC..but is a xerox on pink paper any more valid than a print out on white paper or one that has been reduced in size to fit in my wallet better?

I am not suugesting counterfeiting a LTCH either, BTW.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If you ever get into an argument with a stubborn 5 year old girl, I mean one of South Bend's finest, you may not want to give them "one more thing". Copy it on pink paper and pink paper only. If you reduce it slightly, I doubt someone would notice. DO NOT try to recreate it in Word. That is asking for problems.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    At the risk of appearing arguemenative--which is not my intention...

And maybe Kirk or Bill, etc may be able to point to an IC..but is a xerox on pink paper any more valid than a print out on white paper or one that has been reduced in size to fit in my wallet better?

I am not suugesting counterfeiting a LTCH either, BTW.

I have not looked for an IC forbidding this, however the ISP does charge to issue a replacement, and doing so, they charge FAR more than it costs them to do so. $20.00 for a Xerox copy on a piece of pink paper? To me, it seems obvious in the absence of law forbidding copies that the goal of the exorbitant cost is to deter people from losing the one issued to them, ergo, one would be wise to make copies.

Kirk has advised making copies on white (or really, any color except pink) so as to make it clear that you're not attempting to deceive the officer to whom you show your copy. I cannot argue against his point, especially if you resize the copy you carry with you. I suppose you could also make your copies with the faux-"watermark" copied onto the paper as well, reading, "COPY" diagonally across the LTCH.

If a law forbidding copying the LTCH does exist, I'd like to see it and if valid, I'll note it in the FAQ as such.

Blessings,
    Bill

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have not looked for an IC forbidding this, however the ISP does charge to issue a replacement, and doing so, they charge FAR more than it costs them to do so. $20.00 for a Xerox copy on a piece of pink paper? To me, it seems obvious in the absence of law forbidding copies that the goal of the exorbitant cost is to deter people from losing the one issued to them, ergo, one would be wise to make copies.

Kirk has advised making copies on white (or really, any color except pink) so as to make it clear that you're not attempting to deceive the officer to whom you show your copy. I cannot argue against his point, especially if you resize the copy you carry with you. I suppose you could also make your copies with the faux-"watermark" copied onto the paper as well, reading, "COPY" diagonally across the LTCH.

If a law forbidding copying the LTCH does exist, I'd like to see it and if valid, I'll note it in the FAQ as such.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Hec if this were the case then I don't see why someone that did'nt think to copy their LTCH before laminating it could'nt just go ahead and make copies anyway of the laminated one. Then laminate those copies. :dunno: (btw...i'm not suggesting anyone do this. I'm just say'n.)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hec if this were the case then I don't see why someone that did'nt think to copy their LTCH before laminating it could'nt just go ahead and make copies anyway of the laminated one. Then laminate those copies. :dunno: (btw...i'm not suggesting anyone do this. I'm just say'n.)

susp.gif
    susp.gif
    susp.gif

I dunno... Sounds waaaaay too close to dividing by zero to me.

Crap... NOW you did it...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diLvsIS_-M0[/ame]

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

(That's the other side of this:
    naturephotocaliforniamonticellodamphotographyamazing-5c99a57e4338c678bbda02cdad87c832_h.jpg
    . )

Top Bottom