• Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have the Steiner.
    Is cool.....but too heavy to slap on a reg hunting rifle IMHO. A leupold lightweight similar on a pump carbine would be a great woods rig.
    I have two of the Leupolds, one on an ultralight KP15 build and one on a x39 Ruger Ranch. Great for daylight guns that don't need superfast 1x target transition. You gain so much lightness and compactness giving up that 1x.

Freakin Leupold, always discontinuing their best stuff. They had a Firedot 1.5-4x that was full daylight bright and light and *chef kiss*.

I had a regular size 1-6 on the KP15 for a bit and it was way too top heavy. Rolled over in my hands. You wouldn't notice it on a regular AR but it was a problem on a super light gun.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you want to try a prism that will not break the bank, the Trihawk rocks but I believe the PA 3X microprism beats it in ER and FOV.

PA just knocked it out of the part with that micro 3X. It is NOT an ACOG, but given what you need, it might be a solution.

A friend from a neighboring department had one of these on his rifle. It had the worst fish eye I've seen in anything. It was like trying to shoot using a door peep as an optic. I can only hope there was some sort of adjustment that was way off and he didn't have a clue as to how to adjust it.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    We bought a few of these through Palmetto, they had them on sale for under a thousand delivered. I'm impressed, its like looking through glass twice its price.
    Fast, easy and its always on.

View attachment 279978
    Have you tried their 3.5x35 versions? It has 0.5x less magnification and is a little bulkier, but makes up with a better exit diameter and MUCH better eye relief. I definitely prefer it over the standard 4x32 versions.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My personal LPVOs are an old Vortex PST 1-4 and a Vortex Razor 1-6. While the 1-6 is pretty awesome, the 1-4 is a really good inexpensive optic and I really like the reticle. They re released them under the Ranger name and the price is pretty spectacular for what you get...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have two of the Leupolds, one on an ultralight KP15 build and one on a x39 Ruger Ranch. Great for daylight guns that don't need superfast 1x target transition. You gain so much lightness and compactness giving up that 1x.

Freakin Leupold, always discontinuing their best stuff. They had a Firedot 1.5-4x that was full daylight bright and light and *chef kiss*.

I had a regular size 1-6 on the KP15 for a bit and it was way too top heavy. Rolled over in my hands. You wouldn't notice it on a regular AR but it was a problem on a super light gun.
    Yeah, maybe was called VXR or something. Firedot duplex, 1 -4.5 x IIRC.
    They fetch a hefty penny if you can find one.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Have you tried their 3.5x35 versions? It has 0.5x less magnification and is a little bulkier, but makes up with a better exit diameter and MUCH better eye relief. I definitely prefer it over the standard 4x32 versions.
    Well, both of my sons use them at work.
    It just rolled in to that model.
    How is the 3.5 at 600?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My personal LPVOs are an old Vortex PST 1-4 and a Vortex Razor 1-6. While the 1-6 is pretty awesome, the 1-4 is a really good inexpensive optic and I really like the reticle. They re released them under the Ranger name and the price is pretty spectacular for what you get...

Wonder if we know what model of Vortex the officer used to take out the school shooter in Nashville?

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Well, both of my sons use them at work.
    It just rolled in to that model.
    How is the 3.5 at 600?
    Never had the chance to test it out at 600, but my BDC has marking up to 1000. Don't get me wrong, the 4x32 platform is a solid optic as there is a reason the military has used it for so long. It's just the 3.5x35 is an improved (in my opinion) version that a lot of people don't know exists.
    4x32 weighs 15 oz., and has an eye relief of 1.5"
    3.5x35 weighs 17.2 oz., and has an eye relief of 2.4"

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Never had the chance to test it out at 600, but my BDC has marking up to 1000. Don't get me wrong, the 4x32 platform is a solid optic as there is a reason the military has used it for so long. It's just the 3.5x35 is an improved (in my opinion) version that a lot of people don't know exists.
    4x32 weighs 15 oz., and has an eye relief of 1.5"
    3.5x35 weighs 17.2 oz., and has an eye relief of 2.4"
    I get it, the 4x sits closer to the back of the rail, not lots of room to mount a magnfier.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A friend from a neighboring department had one of these on his rifle. It had the worst fish eye I've seen in anything. It was like trying to shoot using a door peep as an optic. I can only hope there was some sort of adjustment that was way off and he didn't have a clue as to how to adjust it.
    Had not heard that. Thanks.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    I’m living in the country now, and there have been critters on my property. I’d like to set up my AR, chambered in 5.56, to dispatch of said critters. And since it’s my only rifle, I’d like to still keep it HD ready.

So, what would you guys recommend? I like the idea of a Trijicon, but they are salty. So maybe a vortex?
    Swampfox , for their prices the comparable vortex models aren’t IMHO aren’t as clear . I have both so judging on what I have. Swampfox 1-10 for $500 or less can’t beat it

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've been a "red dot" guy for years, so it took me a while to break down and get a LPVO. When I finally did, I got the PA 1-8 with the ACSS reticle. The flexibility is nice, as is the illuminated reticule, and the glass quality is very good for the money in my book.
    I liked it enough...to get a second one... for my Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Mauser.

7mm Mauser on Princess rock.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

One of these showed up today. About 21.5oz with an Aero ultralight mount. Crosshair and ladder instead of horseshoe and chevron reticle, with a nifty fiber optic illuminated dot that'll give you Lasic in full daylight at max power. Kind of reminiscent of the Firedot, and way way brighter than any PA or Vortex etched reticle I've had before. You can't quite fool yourself into thinking it's a red dot, but it's close. Something like 4.5-5oz lighter than a Viper PST 1-6, which is the closest competitor.

Downside is it's not compact, it's almost 11 inches, and currently it's backordered to hell. But I am impressed with the weight, the 1x, and the illumination.

PA has been on a steady march of improvement. This is remarkable for under $350 without mount.

Top Bottom