• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m living in the country now, and there have been critters on my property. I’d like to set up my AR, chambered in 5.56, to dispatch of said critters. And since it’s my only rifle, I’d like to still keep it HD ready.

So, what would you guys recommend? I like the idea of a Trijicon, but they are salty. So maybe a vortex?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have an Aimpoint PRO mounted on the rifle now. Would I be better off to get a different riflescope with a QD mount and switch it on and off?

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Same Situation here- property and some critters to manage, Ground Hogs, Coyotes etc….I have 4 set ups, Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8, Burris RT6, Burris MTAC 1-4, and Vortex PST 1-4.

My go to is the Burris MTAC 1-4, with the Vortex PST close close 2nd.

However My oldest loves the 1-8 on an 18”, and my youngest loves the 1-6….but for me I like those 2 1-4’s and don’t find myself needing more.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    A 2 MOA dot with a 3x or 5x magnifier can be pretty accurate at property critter distance and then roll the magnifier out of the way for HD work! I've gone 180 yards with 2 moa and no magnifier and I'm not a great shot, or well trained. To clarify that was a 3/4 IPSC, wasn't trying to hit a kill zone.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The Gen 4 Primary Arms optics are getting good reviews. They're basically neck and neck with the Vortex PST.

The only real generalization I have with LPVOs is to stick to 1-6 instead of pushing to 8x or 10x. At higher magnification you really start to push the compromises in the design and the price point for getting full clarity and usability at full magnification as well as 1x goes way up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I’m living in the country now, and there have been critters on my property. I’d like to set up my AR, chambered in 5.56, to dispatch of said critters. And since it’s my only rifle, I’d like to still keep it HD ready.

So, what would you guys recommend? I like the idea of a Trijicon, but they are salty. So maybe a vortex?

Started my deep dive into optics in 2019. This sounds Swampfoxy.

Given your parameters, I would say Trijicon TR-24, BUT if money is an issue, one can purchase a Gen 1, 1-4X Tomahawk for under $250, the Gen 2 (reduced length) is not much over that.

If you like a prism, the Trihawk is great buy for the money.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you want to try a prism that will not break the bank, the Trihawk rocks but I believe the PA 3X microprism beats it in ER and FOV.

PA just knocked it out of the part with that micro 3X. It is NOT an ACOG, but given what you need, it might be a solution.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    LOL i caught my spell check error after and edited.

BTW i have a 1x PA G2 cyclops and its cool, but for hunting varmints think a little mag is better.

Will put it in the Classifieds later today. I dont do Chinesium no mo.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Gen 4 Primary Arms optics are getting good reviews. They're basically neck and neck with the Vortex PST.

The only real generalization I have with LPVOs is to stick to 1-6 instead of pushing to 8x or 10x. At higher magnification you really start to push the compromises in the design and the price point for getting full clarity and usability at full magnification as well as 1x goes way up.
    Yeah, 1 to 4 is OK. Little more for varminting would be nice. Think 1 -6x is ideal for dual purpose.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah, 1 to 4 is OK. Little more for varminting would be nice. Think 1 -6x is ideal for dual purpose.
    Leupold still sells one or two of their 1.5-4s that are very clear and stupid light. Unfortunately I don't think they make the illuminated versions anymore, and you give up true 1x, so that might not be for you.

The new PA Nova has a legit daylight bright fiber reticle but they're on perpetual backorder. I'm with you on probably wanting 6x and illumination for varmint targets in lower light.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

We bought a few of these through Palmetto, they had them on sale for under a thousand delivered. I'm impressed, its like looking through glass twice its price.
    Fast, easy and its always on.

20230602_135424 (4).jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Leupold still sells one or two of their 1.5-4s that are very clear and stupid light. Unfortunately I don't think they make the illuminated versions anymore, and you give up true 1x, so that might not be for you.

The new PA Nova has a legit daylight bright fiber reticle but they're on perpetual backorder. I'm with you on probably wanting 6x and illumination for varmint targets in lower light.
    I have the Steiner.
    Is cool.....but too heavy to slap on a reg hunting rifle IMHO. A leupold lightweight similar on a pump carbine would be a great woods rig.

Top Bottom