• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    We had 50 shooters at Atlanta yesterday for USPSA. Some from as far away as KY. Now that is dedication.
    USPSA is the only game where a shooter will come off a stage and tell you how to do it better and loan you the ammo to go out and beat him. And thats after you just busted his chops for screwing the stage up.
    The fun factor and the people are what grows the USPSA at both local and national level.
    Take some ammo out of the locker and come play the game. You will be hooked.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A worthy death. Attending a highpower match is like having glue injected into your veins.

I had to do one (for another CMP order) this weekend at Wildcat and it was insuffereable. Guys sitting around in lawn chairs, pulling carts *shudder*

I was the only one shooting without a mat and with as little gear as I could (no optics, no lawn chair, no cart, just rifle and two mags and ammo). The gunhandling is less than optimal as I got swept during the highpower match. At least no one has pointed a gun at me in pins or other non-traditional matches.

Highpower is like shooting with the enjoyment sucked out of it and the boredom and goofiness doubled.

Amen. Shooting matches are usually about, 1. keeping other people out, 2. standing around looking at your match, 3. endless fiddling with gear.

The pin games are welcoming and keep the trains running on time.:)

While I respect your opinion of HP, can we hold off on the bad mouthing? I don't even shoot it, but I can't see how this is productive. If you tried it and don't care for it, fine - keep it at that.

Not every game is for everyone. But in this age we need to support ALL of the shooting sports whether we participate in them or not.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    While I respect your opinion of HP, can we hold off on the bad mouthing? I don't even shoot it, but I can't see how this is productive. If you tried it and don't care for it, fine - keep it at that.

Bad mouthing? I would not characterize it as that. Just me telling INGO why I do not like Highpower.

Just like not everyone likes the same ice cream, cars, shoes, etc., not everyone likes the same gun games.

If anyone takes it as bad mouthing, then I apologize if you take offense, but none was intended. Just a recitation of my opinion (and we all know what those are like).:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, my opinion, which could help explain to the OP why highpower is dying as some shooters see highpower as mind-numbingly boring, gear-focused so that new shooters do not participate.

Of course, that would be up to each person as individuals as to how they view each gun game, but ultimately is is up to the devotees of highpower to correct this perception or they will die out.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    We had 50 shooters at Atlanta yesterday for USPSA. Some from as far away as KY. Now that is dedication.
    USPSA is the only game where a shooter will come off a stage and tell you how to do it better and loan you the ammo to go out and beat him. And thats after you just busted his chops for screwing the stage up.
    The fun factor and the people are what grows the USPSA at both local and national level.
    Take some ammo out of the locker and come play the game. You will be hooked.

:yesway:

You got the right, I love shooting with the INGO crew at these events.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The FWR&R traveling rifle team will be shooting the 80 shot Regional Match Course at Wildcat this Saturday. They always put on a good match and they always wait for the injected glue to take effect before they call us to the line. They are very considerate.....

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don't like INGO people!

thumb-pinocchio.PNG

:D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A worthy death. Attending a highpower match is like having glue injected into your veins.

I had to do one (for another CMP order) this weekend at Wildcat and it was insuffereable. Guys sitting around in lawn chairs, pulling carts *shudder*

I was the only one shooting without a mat and with as little gear as I could (no optics, no lawn chair, no cart, just rifle and two mags and ammo). The gunhandling is less than optimal as I got swept during the highpower match. At least no one has pointed a gun at me in pins or other non-traditional matches.

Highpower is like shooting with the enjoyment sucked out of it and the boredom and goofiness doubled.

Amen. Shooting matches are usually about, 1. keeping other people out, 2. standing around looking at your match, 3. endless fiddling with gear.

The FWRR traveling rifle team shot a 80 shot match at Wildcat today. Unofficially, we think we won 1st, 2nd, and maybe 4th in the overall standings. For myself, I shot a 199-10X in the sitting rapid (200 yards), and a 198 6X in the prone rapid (300 yards). I am absolutely OK with that......We won't talk about standing slow fire or prone slow fire, please..

We were all strangers to the Wildcat competitors but we were all wlecomed with handshakes and introductions. Great bunch of men and women, just like I find at every highpower match around the country. Not a lot of fiddling going on that I could see. Everybody seemed to know what needed to be done to shoot their matches. Not a lot of standing around that I could see, looking at the the results of the match. They kept it moving pretty good.

There was not a lawn chair in sight all day, which I thought was strange. However, I did pull my cart with all my equipment from the 200 yard line to the 300 yard line, {gasp}

Nobody got swept with a muzzle since the last two months you are not allowed to stand or load until the targets come up for the NRA rapid fire stages.

There was one "whiney" shooter there today, but since he seemed to resent being there, and he seemed to act superior to all of us lowly high power shooters, and he didn't want to listen to advice about how he might be able to shoot better, he was kind of left alone.

As for myself, I made several new shooting friends and I look forward to shooting with the folks at Wildcat again.

Several of the club members promised that they would attend matches at FWRR and they will certainly be welcomed as brothers and sisters.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There were 26 Highpower Competitors at Wildcat this last Saturday, including the 3 shooters from Ft Wayne. Two of the Ft Wayne shooters shot 769 with 21 X's. I shot a 764 with 22 X's. The match winner shot 770 with 23 X's.

I could hear the popping of the pistol competitors while I was in the pits.

Very nice range and great folks.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute

It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy the highpower match that you "had" to shoot. Those of us who do enjoy the sport compete because we want to, not because we have to.

Being swept by any competitor in any sport should be dealt with accordingly. There are provisions for those types of things.

I've shot highpower for approximately 19 years, long range around 15 years. I recently started shooting pistol again and have had a blast in the 2 matches that I've shot in.
    I consider USPSA type shooting fun.
    Highpower and long range is serious fun. They are both very difficult sports and require an amount of dedication to be proficient at that a lot of new shooters simply haven't got the desire.

There's a shooting sport out there for everyone. The fact that we may not understand why or share someones' enthusiasm for another sport certainly doesn't prevent them from having a passion for it.

Top Bottom