• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    At least at Wildcat there are people who promote high power... but action pistol and bulleye seem to be dead..
    IDPA , cowboy & 3 gun have all the shooters.. and the WORKERS..
    Action pistol was taken off calander one year because no one wanted to run it...

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Highpower: All day at a match and you shoot 60 rounds. I like to shoot too much for a match like that.

I like to shoot as much as the next guy, but highpower and bench rest leagues take a special sort, these guys are more concerned with X's and not "hits". That said there is a challenge to trying to hit a target, under a timer while and then moving to the next, not all sports apeal to everyone and that is why we have the differnt games to play. some of us want to see how fast we can knock over steel plates, other want to know how if we can keep all our rounds in the black, or maybe the ten ring since we already know we can keep them on target.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    There are very few locations that even have 3 gun matches and the sort. I have found that the locations that do have it are often a "good ole boys club" that does not seem to want to get new people in. This has been my experience so far. I would love to compete in 3 gun or some type of tactical, active shooting

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    There are very few locations that even have 3 gun matches and the sort. I have found that the locations that do have it are often a "good ole boys club" that does not seem to want to get new people in. This has been my experience so far. I would love to compete in 3 gun or some type of tactical, active shooting

there are several clubs in Indiana shooting IDPA, USPSA, multi gun, 3 gun, etc.

All you gotta do is get up and drive on Sunday morning.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I know I am not going to change anyones mind about Highpower, but it is the only way (Appleseed too) to learn the skills of a Rifleman. The comments about taking all day too shoot just a few rounds are certainly true.

You are aware however, that NRA Highpower is the Military Qualification Course? That the Army Marksmanship Unit and the Marine Rifle teams as well as all the other Military Service Rifle teams all shoot 20 inch iron sighted M-16? That optics are allowed on the Service Rifle in NRA competition? The Ohio State Championship has provisions for competitors with optically sighted AR's for this weekends matches as well as the State Service Rifle Championship next month.

Optically sighted rifle just are not as accurate at rifleman distances when compared to iron sights. We are not talking about target ID here, totally different subject.

All the gear that make the AR Carbine a viable weapon at pistol distances do nothing to enable hits at 200, 300, or 600 yards. However, once you become proficient at making center hits with a 20 inch service rifle, it is easy to transition to the carbine at the shorter distances that so many are enamoured of.

I love the action games too, but there is something to be said for the lone rifleman able to make hits at long range if needed. Shoot and scoot if you will, to survive another day.. CQB is suicide for the lone rifleman...

Also, the only way to get that Distinguished Rifleman Badge is to shoot across the course. I have had 18 points for years, I hope to get 12 more before I die.....

Regards

Last edited:

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I know that some of the "traditional" marksmanship games are suffering from declining attendance. Our bowling pin matches at MCF&GA have been slowly increasing in size for a while. While its good to have increasing numbers, the time spent waiting around to shoot is also increasing. Fortunately, we have a good group of participants who pitch in to help keep the match progressing. Actually, helping RO and re-setting the pins makes the down time seem less, but we are still working on ways to improve the program.

Thank you to all of those who came out to play (safely) today.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think one of the reasons why your pin matches are doing so well and why the Friday Night Steel at your club are flourishing is because you guys know how to have a fun, relaxing match.

Fun is a good thing, sir.

I know that some of the "traditional" marksmanship games are suffering from declining attendance. Our bowling pin matches at MCF&GA have been slowly increasing in size for a while. While its good to have increasing numbers, the time spent waiting around to shoot is also increasing. Fortunately, we have a good group of participants who pitch in to help keep the match progressing. Actually, helping RO and re-setting the pins makes the down time seem less, but we are still working on ways to improve the program.

Thank you to all of those who came out to play (safely) today.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    rhino,

You mean like when we host the swedish bikini bowling pin shooting team?

It was hot yesterday,and someone suggested we have topless dancers fanning us with palm fronds. Sounded good to me, but we had some young shooters in attendance, so it didn't happen this month. (What was that telephone number, again?)

One of these days your busy schedule may permit you to come relax with us again. When it does, we hope you do visit. The old man always needs someone else to abuse.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    NRA Highpower is dying. Declining numbers every year. Fully documented.

A worthy death. Attending a highpower match is like having glue injected into your veins.

I had to do one (for another CMP order) this weekend at Wildcat and it was insuffereable. Guys sitting around in lawn chairs, pulling carts *shudder*

I was the only one shooting without a mat and with as little gear as I could (no optics, no lawn chair, no cart, just rifle and two mags and ammo). The gunhandling is less than optimal as I got swept during the highpower match. At least no one has pointed a gun at me in pins or other non-traditional matches.

Highpower is like shooting with the enjoyment sucked out of it and the boredom and goofiness doubled.

Fun is a good thing, sir.

Amen. Shooting matches are usually about, 1. keeping other people out, 2. standing around looking at your match, 3. endless fiddling with gear.

The pin games are welcoming and keep the trains running on time.:)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A good model is USPSA. They were starting to get in trouble as they had a bad rap for needing specialized equipment. They created the Production and Single Stack divisions so anyone could bring out their toys and play and business is booming. If highpower created a carbine division where M4-type guns could play, limited it to 200-300 yards, and ruled it in such a way that the average shooter could show up with the gear is his closet, they might survive. That might include allowing optics/dots (yea, I can hear the purists' heads popping).

They are now competing with 3-gun events now where the average guy CAN shoot what's in his closet. They enjoyed a long time with little/no competition. New competition in the market means the business providing what the customers want will survive.

-rvb

Great post, I came back to shooting after being out almost ten years as Production was exactly what I was looking for. Between Production and Single Stack, almost any Joe with a carry gun and some mags can come shoot and have fun.

Having so many INGO shooters at USPSA matches makes it great!

I'm tellin ya, if you want some fun, come shoot with us.

Last edited:

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    I thought about getting into competition shooting myself, but the ammo prices/shortages have made me rethink. I use to fire 300-600 rounds a week through my Glock 23. Now, I just either save the rounds or divert the money to new projects (before the next AWB). I don't know if ammo prices/shortages is the reason for others, but it is mine.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, the next time someone suggests having a topless dancer fan you guys with palm fronds, I'll remove my shirt, get freaky, and then start fanning.

That should cut down on the requests fairly quickly. :D

I'll be back some day!

rhino,

You mean like when we host the swedish bikini bowling pin shooting team?

It was hot yesterday,and someone suggested we have topless dancers fanning us with palm fronds. Sounded good to me, but we had some young shooters in attendance, so it didn't happen this month. (What was that telephone number, again?)

One of these days your busy schedule may permit you to come relax with us again. When it does, we hope you do visit. The old man always needs someone else to abuse.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    How am I gonna gouge that image out of my mind's eye?

Its the "get freaky" part that scares me the most.

Top Bottom