• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm looking to replace the Hex Wasp on an AR with something that has "shake away" on it. I'd like to keep a it a low profile, nothing bulky like a Leupold Freedom RDS or a Sig Romeo 5.

I figure with Black Friday around the corner, now's the time to replace it...what should I replace it with? Am I a fool for wanting to keep a pistol size RDS on an AR? This is primarily for home defense, this one won't be for distance...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    By low profile, do you mean a lower height over bore?

Are you interested in co-witnessing with any iron sights?

While you can mount a physically smaller RDS, you can only go so low on an AR and still get on the sights, ergonomically, since the in-line stock has no “drop” like a traditional shotgun or rifle.

If iron sights are involved (backup or otherwise), and you want to co-witness, you’re limited to absolute co-witness hieght as a minimum.

Contrastingly, it seems like there’s been a trend with some even higher mounts for a more upright head position and to enable flip-to-center magnifier configuration (ex. Unity Fast mounts).

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I like the Holosun HE509T. Small but a little wider field of view than standard mini red dots. Shake awake, multiple dot choices. It does have a weird mounting scenario, but they make mounts for it. After taking out a standard reflex for the first time while it was snowing...I found the weakness of an exposed emitter. And it freaked me out! I now like enclosed units.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I had a Holosun 407C on my 9mm AR for a while on a cheap (UTG IIRC) mount, because I wanted a really minimalist and lightweight gun, and it worked great. I ended up needing a dot for a pistol project that I was working on, so the Holosun went to that gun. I had planned to buy another one to put back on the AR, but then I realized that I could buy 2 Romeo5s for the price of a 407, and once you took into account the mount the overall weight and footprint were about the same. The Romeo5 also has an enclosed emitter, which admittedly wasn't a huge deal on this gun, but it does make cleaning a bit easier. Even without taking into account the cost savings, I haven't encountered a situation yet where the Romeo has limited me compared to the Holosun.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I had a Holosun 407C on my 9mm AR for a while on a cheap (UTG IIRC) mount, because I wanted a really minimalist and lightweight gun, and it worked great. I ended up needing a dot for a pistol project that I was working on, so the Holosun went to that gun. I had planned to buy another one to put back on the AR, but then I realized that I could buy 2 Romeo5s for the price of a 407, and once you took into account the mount the overall weight and footprint were about the same. The Romeo5 also has an enclosed emitter, which admittedly wasn't a huge deal on this gun, but it does make cleaning a bit easier. Even without taking into account the cost savings, I haven't encountered a situation yet where the Romeo has limited me compared to the Holosun.

Getting another Romeo5 may be my best bet. They are hard to beat for the price!

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I also like my Holosun 403B. Simple red dot without any caps or such hanging off. Really sleek. Shake awake. Nice and simple plain red dot. The 503 jumps up to your choice of reticle, but I like a plain red dot.

I do have my nightstand AR with the Holosun 510C red dot and circle for close engagement.

I'm a Holosun fanboy.

Top Bottom