• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Found out this afternoon that I'll be losing my job of 7.5 years on November 29. Why? Because they're instituting a new policy that any contractor that has been there more than 18 months needs to go. Why? I don't know. Yea, I've been a contractor that long but I got benefits and PTO, so it wasn't a bad deal.

There's 7 of us effected, out of a group of 9. We have sorta suspected this would happen for a few months, but it still sucks to hear the news, and for the last day to be Black Friday. Guess I won't be going TV shopping! :(

I do desktop support work and just finished my MBA, so if anyone hears of anything near Fishers, let me know.

Otherwise, just venting. :ar15::ar15:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    That's always tough. We all go through it at some point (most of us many times). Good luck.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm sorry to hear that, man. I recently went through a similar situation and it took a couple of months to find something. Work your network and don't get discouraged.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    That's always tough. We all go through it at some point (most of us many times). Good luck.

Yep, not the first time for me. But still pretty frustrating. I'll land on my feet, I'm sure.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. I recently went through a similar situation and it took a couple of months to find something. Work your network and don't get discouraged.

Fortunately, I live well within my means (read: tiny gun collection), so I can ride out a few months with unemployment & savings. It's just the boredom that I fear the most!

We are hiring.
    smile.png

Brownsburg would be a helluva commute!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Fortunately, I live well within my means (read: tiny gun collection), so I can ride out a few months with unemployment & savings. It's just the boredom that I fear the most

Yeah, I didn't plan to go back to work until January, but I got tired of shooting by myself, watching TV and surfing INGO. I didn't even know about unemployment until I talked to Fenway. That was a pleasant surprise.

Connect with your alumni program from the school where you got your MBA.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Sorry to hear about that :( Have been layed off for over fourteen months and am in the process of finding another employer who needs my skills........... and will pay for them ;) Good Luck to you Sir !!

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Sorry to about your job. I know how it feels, Delta decided to do away with their cleaning dept. last May after 9.5 years. Keep looking it will work out.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Contract work is very frustrating. The 18 month microsoft rule was implemented when I did contract work for Indiana bell/Ameritech/SBC in the 1990's. So to get around that they just switched me from one sub contractor to another every 9 months and then back to the original after exhausting all 4. So 9 months As a Banktec employee the as smart source the. IBM then Arrotec the start over. All at the same desk, same extension on the phone system same expense account. Just shuffled around from one to the next check writer. When SBC took over they ditched IBM and went to a Texas based It
    firm and payed me off but I got a nice see ya bonus (severance) since the original contract was still valid for about 6 months. 45 days into that vacation the new company asked me to come back and stuck me with newbies to train them. I was not
    about to train my replacement so I always ditched the newbies and taught them nothing. The new company offered
    me the management position over the newbies and I Turned them down twice. On the third offer I excepted it work for them 2 months and left for a better offer at (name removed)

(Name removed) paid well but the It manager said a few sexual comments about me in front of some other people and my lawyer contacted the company and I made a bit of easy cash and moved away from It work. Heck by then no day wanted a Novell network expert
    anyway.

Hang in play the cards you draw and let the others fold there hands if they are not strong. There is strong demand right now in It it just does not
    pay real well. Good luck and spend all that paid desk time with your head in certification books and move on.

Sorry for for the rant or semi rant I just have been there done that.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Brownsburg would be a helluva commute!

Good grief ... from Fishers to Brownsburg is a helluva commute? Really? I commute from Brownsburg to Bloomington every day ... and have for the past 20 years. If you want to be gainfully employed, you might have to drive a few miles to the office each day. Since you are soon to be out of a job, I strongly suggest that you explore every opportunity that is available before saying no.

Who knows? Maybe the job opportunity isn't even located in Brownsburg ... just the InGO member is located there?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Good luck op! There's jobs out there, it's just about how selective you want to be. Going from a good job to just above minimum wage might be tough but in the end, something coming in is better than nothing coming in. Till you get back to a good job

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Yeah, I didn't plan to go back to work until January, but I got tired of shooting by myself, watching TV and surfing INGO. I didn't even know about unemployment until I talked to Fenway. That was a pleasant surprise.

Wait....you actually got tired of shooting? Is that even possible? I mean I can understand stopping because of lack of ammo, but not from desire.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    When I was a contractor typically the places we would work when you hit the two year mark would say hire on as a direct or move on.... It was because the directs would be upset that contractors would be there for years making a lot more money with thesaurus job security.... Nobody had hard feelings.... I ended up going direct... All work dried up a month later....

Top Bottom