• ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well,
    I'd like to find a place where a guy can wonder around aimlessly taking in awesome scenic views, shoot a squirrel or rabbit, catch a fish or two, and cook it over a camp fire at night. In the past I've done backpacking trips, kayaking trips, and all kinds of wilderness stuff, but this next year I'd like to find something more relaxed, but still have some great views.

Location wise, ideally in the lower 48. Not that I wouldn't love to go back to Alaska, but less travel time and jet lag is always a great thing.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It sounds like a lot of places could fit the bill depending on how much work you're willing to put into planning it. Any other preferences/requirements?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Always wanted to got up to Boundary Waters in Minnesota for a week or two and just hit the lakes and paddle around, camp and catch and eat fish. You Tube guy named Matthew Posa has done several trips up there and looks pretty cool. Different campsite everyday, different routes you can take, always catches fish to eat everyday. I would think early spring or fall be best.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Always wanted to got up to Boundary Waters in Minnesota for a week or two and just hit the lakes and paddle around, camp and catch and eat fish. You Tube guy named Matthew Posa has done several trips up there and looks pretty cool. Different campsite everyday, different routes you can take, always catches fish to eat everyday. I would think early spring or fall be best.
    I have done several trips( six, I believe, have to check my map) to the Boundary Waters since 1998. Yes, fresh fish every day.
    I could guide where we go, I know it so well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It sounds like a lot of places could fit the bill depending on how much work you're willing to put into planning it. Any other preferences/requirements?
    Nothing more than what I listed earlier. Finding a place where a guy can roam around and hunt or fish and have a camp fire at night is enough of a unicorn to find.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Deam Wilderness here in IN. Awesome scenic views optional.
    That crossed my mind too. I've done the penninsula trail a few times and the axsom branch once. I've been wanting to go down there some time and do some kayak based things.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nothing more than what I listed earlier. Finding a place where a guy can roam around and hunt or fish and have a camp fire at night is enough of a unicorn to find.
    Boundary Waters doesn't have much for hunting that I have seen but roaming and fishing are first class.

I have been around a lot of places but the BWCAW(Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) has always been my favorite. I get 2-4 portages into the system and there will be no more man made noises. Even planes have to fly at 6000' feet in that area. I have spent days without seeing a person. No dogs off in the distant, no trucks from what you think is a far away interstate, just the sound of water, wind, insects and Loons.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Boundary Waters doesn't have much for hunting that I have seen but roaming and fishing are first class.

I have been around a lot of places but the BWCAW(Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) has always been my favorite. I get 2-4 portages into the system and there will be no more man made noises. Even planes have to fly at 6000' feet in that area. I have spent days without seeing a person. No dogs off in the distant, no trucks from what you think is a far away interstate, just the sound of water, wind, insects and Loons.
    I've only experienced that a couple of times up on Rainy Lake near International Falls. Took the boat out to the middle of the lake to where you couldn't even hear any birds up on shore. No other boat motors or anything either. Just the gentle lapping of the water against the side of the boat. Peaceful yet kind of eerie at the same time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've only experienced that a couple of times up on Rainy Lake near International Falls. Took the boat out to the middle of the lake to where you couldn't even hear any birds up on shore. No other boat motors or anything either. Just the gentle lapping of the water against the side of the boat. Peaceful yet kind of eerie at the same time.
    It was up there that I found out that insects go to "sleep" at night. My son and I were in the tent after sundown on a windless night listening to how loud it actually was with millions of insect buzzing. It's like a white noise effect. Then at around 10 pm, they went silent. At that point, there was virtually zero noise. That was eerie. Of course that accentuated the tinnitus in my ears so there's that, lol.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It was up there that I found out that insects go to "sleep" at night. My son and I were in the tent after sundown on a windless night listening to how loud it actually was with millions of insect buzzing. It's like a white noise effect. Then at around 10 pm, they went silent. At that point, there was virtually zero noise. That was eerie. Of course that accentuated the tinnitus in my ears so there's that, lol.
    Oh yeah, it's a midsummer's evening in my head right now (and always)! :): Cicadas, crickets and tree frogs...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

What time of year did you like best? I would think summer would be nice but lots of flies and mosquitos, I hate those.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What time of year did you like best? I would think summer would be nice but lots of flies and mosquitos, I hate those.

My favorite time is the first or second week of September. Cool nights, warm days. I have been in early May, June, July, August and September. Zero bugs in September. I hate mosquitos and especially black flies. Spring supposedly has the best fishing and it wanes as the year goes on with fall being a little harder. We are novice fishermen at best and we do well. We catch all we want for dinner each night.

If you can go in early May before the black fly hatch, it isn't bad but the ground is still frozen so it's kind cold sleeping on it. Also you have to adjust your fishing. During summer and fall, we fish the banks, smallmouth mostly.

In early spring the fish are still deep so you have to go farther out into the lake and rig to go deeper. We also found that we catch more variety. Lake Trout, Walleye, Pike.

We do catch Walleye and Pike in the warmer months too but mostly smallmouth.

Summer is nice if you don't hit a heat wave which is uncommon. One trip, we were out during a time when they were hitting record high temps. The coolest it got at night was the mid-eighties. During the day well into the 90's. You learn to adapt since there is no way getting out of the heat. It was pretty miserable but makes for good stories. Fishing was tougher that trip also.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    If ya like kayaking too, look at the big South Fork National River and Scenic Area. It runs from the Cumberland Plateau in north central Tennessee to the south end of Cumberland Lake in Kentucky.
    Everything you've mentioned ya wanted to do plus some mild to advanced whitewater paddling.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Spring in the BWCA. I've been a few times around Memorial Day and the lake trout are still shallow. Long line troll spoons or crankbaits along the shore lines. You'll also catch walleyes and pike. Introduce them to the hot grease at camp. I don't think anything is in season to hunt though.

Fall in the BWCA, I've done that a couple of times around Labor Day. Mostly smallmouth fishing with the occasional Walleye and pike. Traditional cast to cover type of fishing. Rabbit and grouse is open depending on when you go.

Spring is the best fishing in my experience. A 20" or better lake trout will take you for a canoe ride.

Spring
    oO68dHk.jpg

DgOUv8T.jpg

F7Iun69.jpg

ZAvY3bQ.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Spring in the BWCA. I've been a few times around Memorial Day and the lake trout are still shallow. Long line troll spoons or crankbaits along the shore lines. You'll also catch walleyes and pike. Introduce them to the hot grease at camp. I don't think anything is in season to hunt though.

Fall in the BWCA, I've done that a couple of times around Labor Day. Mostly smallmouth fishing with the occasional Walleye and pike. Traditional cast to cover type of fishing. Rabbit and grouse is open depending on when you go.

Spring is the best fishing in my experience. A 20" or better lake trout will take you for a canoe ride.

Spring
    oO68dHk.jpg

DgOUv8T.jpg

F7Iun69.jpg

ZAvY3bQ.jpg
    Man do those pics make me want to put together a trip!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Man do those pics make me want to put together a trip!
    Spring is my favorite time, but you have to be ready to deal with all kinds of weather. I've had water bottles freeze up overnight and 3 straight days of rain with highs in the 30s, but I've also had 100 fish days in shirt sleeves on days 4 and 5.

They reduced the number of permits this year, but not sure if that was across al EPs or just focused more on the most popular ones. A good hard day of portaging and you're by yourself on the second night anyway.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I really like U.P Michigan. Not too bad of a trip to drive and lots of great views. Can easily get away and be by yourself if you want. Lots of lakes & streams to fish, hunting, waterfalls, not to mention the great lakes. Lake Superior is beautiful. Lots of camping options too.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I really like U.P Michigan. Not too bad of a trip to drive and lots of great views. Can easily get away and be by yourself if you want. Lots of lakes & streams to fish, hunting, waterfalls, not to mention the great lakes. Lake Superior is beautiful. Lots of camping options too.
    Being a Michigander I am partial to northern Michigan and the U.P. Hard to beat.

Top Bottom