• ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a boatload of guns, ammo, gear, knives and asst crap.
    I learned that I may need to divest myself of material things so I can buy land to pitch a tent and / or park my truck with my EDC items secured in those pull out drawers that lock like I had in my old police SUV cruiser (Decked system) and no I won't have an old lady to worry about in that time span!
    So, with that in mind, what is your humble or not so humble idea on the minimum EDC weapons?
    I like about every doggone thing so throw it out there. The only 1 thing I am sure of is a Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol for my shottie which I do not own yet. I contemplated keeping my Vang Comp 870 but the fire rate is slow compared to the Beretta.
    I need a good pistol. I have enough to sell to be able buy a Staccato or 2011, etc if I stay 1911 style. I have Glocks, Sig, H&K, Turkish BHP, etc but not sure what would be the ultimate handgun?
    Okay, now to rifle. 5.56, 7.62, 6.5 Bleedmore, or what? After caliber what would want - semi , lever, bolt or what?
    22 rifle is next. Opinion on make / Model, etc.
    I started this past weekend trying to sell 4 pistols to buy the Beretta Ultima. I only get about $400.00 / wk in pay after taxes so it's not like I can afford to go out and buy first to try it out before choosing.
    Also keep in mind that I might not have a house or shed to store anything in except my truck which is already well insulated and secured with tamper proof bars on the safety glass in my topper. I will be digging an in the ground food storage cellar and latrine away from the food!
    The old lady always talks like this around September for me to go away but come spring she chills the funk out. Either way, I got too much stuff that I can't use. It happens as we think the more the better but I do need to pare it down to 4 or 5 guns even if she doesn't divorce me. Not my first rodeo boys and girls so I think logically when it comes to being married.
    Give me your ideas! Please!!

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I learned that I may need to divest myself of material things so I can buy land to pitch a tent and / or park my truck with my EDC items secured in those pull out drawers that lock like I had in my old police SUV cruiser (Decked system) and no I won't have an old lady to worry about in that time span!
    So, with that in mind, what is your humble or not so humble idea on the minimum EDC weapons?
    I like about every doggone thing so throw it out there. The only 1 thing I am sure of is a Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol for my shottie which I do not own yet. I contemplated keeping my Vang Comp 870 but the fire rate is slow compared to the Beretta.
    I need a good pistol. I have enough to sell to be able buy a Staccato or 2011, etc if I stay 1911 style. I have Glocks, Sig, H&K, Turkish BHP, etc but not sure what would be the ultimate handgun?
    Okay, now to rifle. 5.56, 7.62, 6.5 Bleedmore, or what? After caliber what would want - semi , lever, bolt or what?
    I started this past weekend trying to sell 4 pistols to buy the Beretta Ultima. I only get about $400.00 / wk in pay after taxes so it's not like I can afford to go out and buy first to try it out before choosing.
    Also keep in mind that I might not have a house or shed to store anything in except my truck which is already well insulated and secured with tamper proof bars on the safety glass in my topper. I will be digging an in the ground food storage cellar and latrine away from the food!
    The old lady always talks like this around September for me to go away but come spring she chills the funk out. Either way, I got too much stuff that I can't use. It happens as we think the more the better but I do need to pare it down to 4 or 5 guns even if she doesn't divorce me. Not my first rodeo boys and girls so I think logically when it comes to being married.
    Wow, a lot to unpack here . First is the A 300 a great shotgun but if you don’t have it at the moment I would stick with the .870. If you have gobs of pistols, I would suggest keeping the one you shoot the best and sell all the others to fund the A300, as far as rim fires goes its hard to beat a10/22 they eat everything you feed them and aftermaket parts a readily available. Lastly if you only bring home $400 a week I would stick with.556 as they are cheaper but fully lethal. Mags are cheap as well. Good luck!!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Ok my man, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and answer your sorta unconventional post a little unconventionally…

Keep what you like and know, don’t get ripped off (as best you can in a fire sale type of situation) on what you want to move on down the road; you might not be shopping for the “ultimate handgun” at this point if you have something decent, like g***ks or Sigs. Preserve the wealth you have, you can trickle down inventory as cash needs come along without taking a bath now just for a few “better” guns.

The actual first thing that came to my mind was get your old lady on some vitamin D. And you too. Also some people around here swear by their “happy” light as well. I’m outside all the time but when winter comes along vitamin D makes a huge difference in my outlook and attitude. People around me notice. It sounds like this is a yearly pattern and as weird as this sounds I think you should give it a try if she’s willing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Beretta won’t do anything your 870 doesn’t already do. I have been contemplating a Beretta 1301, but my 870 does just fine.

A double stack 9mm Glock is pretty much essential equipment.

Some type of 16” scout rifle in .308. It isn’t a scout rifle but I do like my Sig cross. It shoots well and with a 2-10x scope would do just about anything you need a rifle to do.

All good Americans need an AR. Although in a pinch a PCC would suffice.

I do love me some 1911. 2011s don’t fit my hands, but I won’t fault a guy if that is the route they want to go.

Dont forget the 10/22

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    The Beretta won’t do anything your 870 doesn’t already do. I have been contemplating a Beretta 1301, but my 870 does just fine.

A double stack 9mm Glock is pretty much essential equipment.

Some type of 16” scout rifle in .308. It isn’t a scout rifle but I do like my Sig cross. It shoots well and with a 2-10x scope would do just about anything you need a rifle to do.

All good Americans need an AR. Although in a pinch a PCC would suffice.

I do love me some 1911. 2011s don’t fit my hands, but I won’t fault a guy if that is the route they want to go.

Dont forget the 10/22
    As mentioned above, but with an addition, get a good .38/.357 revolver. Smith, Ruger, are mostly bullet proof, and ammo is out there, a 3-4 in barrel will allow longish pistol shots, maybe a revolver in 9mm just in case....I'm thinking in the zombie, and real world...YMMV

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Keep your 870, the 300 or 1301 lets you shoot faster wasting ammo. Have Allen build a 2011 type pistol. Get a good bolt gun in .308 that takes AR10 mags. A lever gun in .357, it beats a .22

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, her SAD affects her bad. She gets in a funk and talks about just having the K9s and I should move on. She has an appointment with our GP. Hopefully this helps. She has other problems too which includes me. Ha!

I totally forgot about a 357 levergun. I was thinking a 22 rifle since I have a 22 silencer. I also have a 9mm silencer tho I'm not opposed to threading a lever gun for it.

I have a couple ARs and a handful of AKs. I have roughly 10K rds for both platforms. Not sure what to keep for a long gun. I also have a 6.5 Bleedmore bolt gun but not enough ammo for it. I bought 100rds for it last night at Dunham's since they have it on-sale for 1.20/rd before tax. If I had more money I could've bought more.

I guess I'm just trying to declutter my life. I'm 60 and hitting the crossroads of life. I already started my crisis when I traded my Harley for a KTM naked roadbike. I've owned a Harley in 1 form or another since I was 16. I may retire and pick up a different job as my physical health doesn't allow me to be on concrete for 8+ hrs per day. Ive had 19 surgeries total. About a dozen of those have been on my spine. Maybe the old lady is tired of me having major surgery every 2 years and minor surgery on the years in between? It doesn't change my need to divest all these guns but don't want labeled as a dealer by acronym groups.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Keep your boltngun, as far as I can tell in the current environment 6.5 is about as expensive as .308 at least at the match round level.

Keep your favorite AR-15, it's America's rifle and you can get parts easily forever.

22 Rifle: My suggestion is a Ruger 10/22 pattern rifle either Ruger itself or a Tactical Solutions gun. They are ubiquitous, in my opinion have the best magazines and aftermarket support as well. Plus honestly I am not a bolt gun fan myself. This can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

Handgun: I love my Staccato P and bought it for pretty much the exact reason you stated. It's performed flawlessly for the last 4~ years now and I love it. That being said it's a big heavy pistol, definitely get the threaded barrel model to take advantage of the can.

Shotgun: A300 is a rock solid choice, but I am partial to the 1301's chromed out action and extended forcing cones myself.

Bonus: SIG Sauer P365X for a CCW due to how large the Staccato P is.

We need to go shooting sometime, I have the next few weeks off for closing on my house. Call me next week, I am in the middle of a "work bender" right now have not had a day off in 2~ weeks so far and December 8th is the last day I have to work this year. You are absolutely more than welcome to shoot my Staccato and SIG if you want.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yeah, her SAD affects her bad. She gets in a funk and talks about just having the K9s and I should move on. She has an appointment with our GP. Hopefully this helps. She has other problems too which includes me. Ha!

I totally forgot about a 357 levergun. I was thinking a 22 rifle since I have a 22 silencer. I also have a 9mm silencer tho I'm not opposed to threading a lever gun for it.

I have a couple ARs and a handful of AKs. I have roughly 10K rds for both platforms. Not sure what to keep for a long gun. I also have a 6.5 Bleedmore bolt gun but not enough ammo for it. I bought 100rds for it last night at Dunham's since they have it on-sale for 1.20/rd before tax. If I had more money I could've bought more.

I guess I'm just trying to declutter my life. I'm 60 and hitting the crossroads of life. I already started my crisis when I traded my Harley for a KTM naked roadbike. I've owned a Harley in 1 form or another since I was 16. I may retire and pick up a different job as my physical health doesn't allow me to be on concrete for 8+ hrs per day. Ive had 19 surgeries total. About a dozen of those have been on my spine. Maybe the old lady is tired of me having major surgery every 2 years and minor surgery on the years in between? It doesn't change my need to divest all these guns but don't want labeled as a dealer by acronym groups.
    The AK market has been "hot" for a few years now. Maybe sell one or two of those. Keep in mind they do make a great shtf rifle. I think I would keep what I have and sell off some of the ones that may be duplicates.
    That's horrible about all the surgeries, that may be playing into why she feels the way she does. I'm a believer in good vitamins, I was low on D myself. The only way to really know is blood work. Most people in our State are low. I take 5000 I.U.'s daily with K2 MK7. It takes supplementing a full year to start noticing the effects.
    Most of us are low on Magnesium as well. There is a lot of documentation on both of those. They do make a difference, but not over night. My .02 for what it's worth.
    I hope you figure out what will work for both of you.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Regardless of what life throws at you there is nothing wrong with decluttering. I am just shy of 50 and already starting that process. I am keeping what I want and guns for my son in college.

1) Ditch the AKs. Keep your beat AR. Or do what I did and sell those off and buy one nice one.
    2) 6.5 CM is a good choice
    3) Keep the Vang 870. Or sell it to me so it can be happy hanging out with my 870.
    4) .22 rifle. For your can
    5) lever action .357 is a good choice. Someone mentioned the .357 revolver. Pick one.
    6) Glock with threaded barrel
    7) really nice staccato or 1911.
    8) Maybe add in a small EDC type gun like the P365 or a nice Jframe.

Surely that list covers everything.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think you need a good .357 magnum or .44 magnum revolver and/or lever-action rifle, along with a good .22 lr rifle, for hunting and as a basic woodsman's gun(s).

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I guess I was pie in the sky dreaming on the Staccato. I had mo idea they were that girthy and if I don't put a bajillion rds downrange with one, I'll never wring out to it's true potential. So that is off the table.
    I could list all my junk but won't do that. I'm sure the the alphabet bois know but why fill in the blanks for them?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I guess I was pie in the sky dreaming on the Staccato. I had mo idea they were that girthy and if I don't put a bajillion rds downrange with one, I'll never wring out to it's true potential. So that is off the table.
    I could list all my junk but won't do that. I'm sure the the alphabet bois know but why fill in the blanks for them?

Buy a decent 1911 with good name. Let AllenM at it. Or look for a used semi custom.

cmdrken1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 28, 2023
    Saint John
    Stick with the AR platform and sell the AKs and 7.62 ammo for a good profit they are worth much more right now.

A standard sized G19 or M&P double stack 9mm is all you need for a pistol and are easy to carry. I use a M&P with a thumb safety 15 round capacity for EDC besides my 357 J frame. I would get one of those to carry in a pocket/cargo pocket very handy.

Besides those your shotgun is fine don't need a 300 for really anything and then you could keep a good 38/357 revolver which can do a lot of things even short range hunting the best are the 686 and GP100. For a 22 it's real hard to go wrong with the trusty 10/22. So you could go down to 6 guns and handle pretty much any situation:

AR-15 / 870 / 10/22
    15 round 4 inch carry 9mm
    J frame pocket revolver and a full size 38/357

If needing to hunt larger game a scoped bolt gun in 30-06 or 308 would round out things. That's 7 guns total that could handle any gun related task there is.

Top Bottom