• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm looking for a new pair of boots. I prefer 6" or so. I would like to keep the price within $100-150. I've looked at Keen, I like the reviews and what I've heard from people that have them. I've also checked out some Converse tactical boots. I'll mostly be using them at the range and some hiking. I'm open to just about anything in my price range, or slightly more if needed. I've looked at some Merrell and Asolo online. Looking for fairly lightweight, durable, and waterproof or resistant is fine but not 100% needed. Any recommendations?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Have you looked at TSC and Dunham's? They have some sweet looking boots at TSC. Last fall Gander Mountain had some nice ones too but I thought they were a little pricy.

I think the Ariat boots look durable and comfy but I don't know anything about them. They have a women's hiking style I like but they never seem to have them in my size so I can try them on to see if they really are comfy. My local TSC did have several Ariat & Justin boots on clearance a few days ago.

Here's links to TSC & Dunham's.

Products in Workwear, Clothing & Footwear on Tractor Supply Navigation

Men’s – Dunham's Sports

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm looking for a new pair of boots. I prefer 6" or so. I would like to keep the price within $100-150. I've looked at Keen, I like the reviews and what I've heard from people that have them. I've also checked out some Converse tactical boots. I'll mostly be using them at the range and some hiking. I'm open to just about anything in my price range, or slightly more if needed. I've looked at some Merrell and Asolo online. Looking for fairly lightweight, durable, and waterproof or resistant is fine but not 100% needed. Any recommendations?
    The Converse Tactical boot is not very durable... ;)

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm planning on heading to Dunham's for some ammo so I'll check them out. Our TSC doesn't have much of a selection unless it is steel toe, rubber, or western so there isn't much to try on. I've got pretty wide feet so I've got to try before I buy, unfortunately.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Tactical isn't a need. There are a few that I like simply because they're pretty plain. The Keen hiking boots, not so much. Looked at some Bellevilles but they seemed pretty heavy even without steel toes.

The Converse Tactical boot is not very durable... ;)

I didn't think they've be as durable as my Altamas but they're pretty comfortable. Had a pair of those that lasted 5 years of daily wear being used for work, hunting, kicking around in the mud, and a little hiking.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Tactical isn't a need.

I didn't think they've be as durable as my Altamas but they're pretty comfortable. Had a pair of those that lasted 5 years of daily wear being used for work, hunting, kicking around in the mud, and a little hiking.
    The only boots I have worn out faster than the Converse Tactical Boot, has been the Blackhawk Boot. Hot ****ing Garbage there. Comfy, just couldn't last 4 months and I was in Garrison only with them...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Rocky, Merrill, Danner, Altama are just some companies that I can personally recommend.

I would 2nd all of those and a big thumbs up to Rocky. No matter how much I spend on a pair of boots, I always go back to my Rocky's. They are extremely durable, and comfortable in all 4 seasons. They have withstood the test of time.

Danner's are a little more comfortable than Rocky boots but, contrary to what I've heard and the price difference would suggest, the Danner's I have had, have just not held up very well. :twocents:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I noticed Rocky does half sizes and wides. I saw the Working Person's Store has the Rocky TrailStalkers so hopefully they'll have my size. The Rocky website has them on closeouts for $108. Found a couple reviews and they seem like a decent boot.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    They cost more, but I swear by Red Wing Shoes. My latest pair are 8" American made, waterproof, 600 grams of Thinsulate & have replaceable soles. Super comfortable. Those are my " not at work" boots (and that is only because they are not uniform color). My work shoes are a pair of Red Wings I bought in 1999 that continue to serve wonderfully. Yes, I wear 13 year old shoes at a job where I am on my feet 50+ hours a week. :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would 2nd all of those and a big thumbs up to Rocky. No matter how much I spend on a pair of boots, I always go back to my Rocky's. They are extremely durable, and comfortable in all 4 seasons. They have withstood the test of time.

Danner's are a little more comfortable than Rocky boots but, contrary to what I've heard and the price difference would suggest, the Danner's I have had, have just not held up very well. :twocents:
    With the Danner's I would concur. With the Caveat of, I think it is VERY model dependent on which Danner Boot it is. I have some Danner's that are just never going to die I think (they are on their 6th pair of soles), and others that barely made it through a Winter...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    As far as uniform boots go, I like Rocky, Danner, and Oakley if I want something a little more light weight. I've found that the stitched on soles last me must longer than the glued on ones.

My favorite pair of outdoor boots are Asolo, but I've had pretty good luck with some cheaper ones like Merrel and the newer Keens that don't have the semi clear gummy soles.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Rocky, Merrill, Danner, Altama are just some companies that I can personally recommend.

:yesway:

I havent tried the Merrill boots but i just bought a pair of their hiking shoes a month or 2 ago and i love em. Comfortable and they feel real durable, not too mention the pair i got are waterproof and still seem to breath pretty well.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Since you mentioned Keen, I'll give them a +1 -- I've gone through a lot of boots, and recently got a pair of Keens. Love them so far. Very comfy, very light, too early to tell much about wear/durability, but I'm really liking them so far.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    Garmont T8. the are on extremeoutfitters website. the made it threw winter at fort lewis and then summer in iraq. still wearing them actually. recommended to me by an Airborne guy. they have vibram soles. personally i wont were another pair of boots after using these.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a set of the Merrill Moab Ventilator Hiking Boot. I use them almost daily around the Farm and on my Hiking trips. Durable, Comfortable, great for warm weather. Cons, they suck ass when the temps are below 50*F and damp, that however is not what this version is designed for and should not be a hindrance if one realizes these are made for Hot weather.

I have already purchased another pair as replacements for the pair I having been using almost daily for 2 years...

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I saw the Working Person's Store has the Rocky TrailStalkers so hopefully they'll have my size.
    Working Person's Store is a good visit... Surprised if they didn't have something for you.
    I have had good luck with both Hi Tec and my Converse side zips are doing pretty good too.
    My last pair of Red Wings were the most uncomfortable pair I have ever owned.
    I was so sick of them, I just couldn't wait to get home to get them off.
    They made me feel wore out after a full day.
    Cabela's makes some good boots too.

Top Bottom