• ...and so much more!
  • aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have recently consolidated some of my inventory, and I plan on primarily carrying my G19 moving forward. My family has three vehicles. An older Explorer, an older CR-V and a newer F150. I ideally like to carry OWB as I am a bigger guy and my tons of fun make it a little uncomfortable for IWB carry. I would like to find a way to mount, install or come up with a way to have a holder brace/bracket in each vehicle for the G19. I believe that AlienGear makes a holder and plate, but it seems pretty costly. Does anybody have a suggestion or recommendation for what I am trying to achieve?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My only suggestion is to not mount your gun to the vehicle and keep it on your person.
    For me, I'm a lefty so I have a hard time drawing while sitting in my car. If I need my pistol fast I'm out of luck because I have to open the door to draw.

So what I did, I took an old nylon universal holster I had sitting around that had Velcro on both sides, put Velcro tape on the side of my center console, and squeezed the holster between the console and seat. When I'm driving that's where my pistol goes. I can shoot right-handed so it works for me.

I'd rather keep it on my hip, but as I said drawing from my left hip while in my car just doesn't work.

IMG_20230909_113946062_HDR.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This. Your car is not a holster, nor is it a gun safe.

If you think you're going to get into so many road rage gunfights that you need special holster mounts in your car, you shouldn't be driving.
    I didn't recall a concern about road rage in the poor plinker's post but perhaps I am missed something!!

I personally don't keep a gun in a car holster but why is it viewed so negatively?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For me, I'm a lefty so I have a hard time drawing while sitting in my car. If I need my pistol fast I'm out of luck because I have to open the door to draw.

So what I did, I took an old nylon universal holster I had sitting around that had Velcro on both sides, put Velcro tape on the side of my center console, and squeezed the holster between the console and seat. When I'm driving that's where my pistol goes. I can shoot right-handed so it works for me.

I'd rather keep it on my hip, but as I said drawing from my left hip while in my car just doesn't work.

Sounds like you just need to get a left handed car.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I have recently consolidated some of my inventory, and I plan on primarily carrying my G19 moving forward. My family has three vehicles. An older Explorer, an older CR-V and a newer F150. I ideally like to carry OWB as I am a bigger guy and my tons of fun make it a little uncomfortable for IWB carry. I would like to find a way to mount, install or come up with a way to have a holder brace/bracket in each vehicle for the G19. I believe that AlienGear makes a holder and plate, but it seems pretty costly. Does anybody have a suggestion or recommendation for what I am trying to achieve?

I somewhat agree with above points....your car is NOT an overnight deposit safe.

That being said, I do sometimes prefer to off body stow the weapon in the vehicle. Long trips for instance. I do adhere to not removing the firearm from the holster excessively. It just creates too much margin for error.

The Safariland QLS system has worked for me for sometime. Several options for the "female" end of the system, and the male clip fits most all kydex holsters with the 3-pattern holes.

I have used the belt clip, molle clip, and I'll all with positive results. For vehicles I simply detached holster and wedge in-between seats. Upon exiting I reclip and G2G.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I keep a gerber mk II in the car. When I did use a car holster, I removed the door arm pad and installed a holster to the under side of it. Then velcroed it back in place. I had special conceilment requirements back then. Now to address road rage just for the fun of it. Stay in the car. Wave friendly when honked at like you know them. Turn and evade when possible. Have cameras front and rear running full time. Remember the cameras and mikes are recording. I always pretend there is a LEO watching. We need to be the good guy in how we react. The police will most likely only see your reaction, not what caused your response. Keep the firearm on your person and conceiled.

wayneba77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Triad
    I myself would be afraid to put a mount in my truck. These days I can’t even remember to take the garage door opener out of the console so thieves won’t steal my tools.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I use the jbobelli approach but with an older leather holster. For long trips across enemy territory (aka Illinois) I have a lockable storage box because I drink coffee and will have to pee before I leave the state. (I almost never go to Illinois anymore.)

in the FJ crusier I have a vehicle safe which replaces the center console and things go in there for safe keeping. Bolted to the frame and thick metal it was not cheap (400 ish plus shipping) and is very roomy. since it is a travel vehicle only things like passport wallet Cash personal security devices go in there if I have to take it off the hip.

do secure it with nothing less than rare earth magnets as in case of a car crash or roll over unsecured items become flying death makers. I have seen two deaths one from a fire extinguisher and one from a tool box in crashes in my lifetime. More deaths from unsecured items in a vehicle than gun shot wounds or deaths.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I agree with the on-body carry arguments. But the concern I wanted to raise is be careful with any in-vehicle holster mounting within reach of the driver's seat. Modern vehicle often have additional airbags all over the place; in the window frames, the outboard edge of the seat back cushion, and most likely to conflict with mounting a holster, under the dash. Airbags can sometimes cause injury just due to rapid inflation of the lightweight bag, let alone accelerating 2 pounds of pistol and ammo into your leg bones.

I was going to put a G-Code RTI holster mount up under the dash for the option to carry a 2nd backup pistol there sharing the same magazine, but my vehicle had an additional air bag under there, which was not immediately obvious even looking up under the dash.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I personally don't keep a gun in a car holster but why is it viewed so negatively?
    It's INGO so take your pick:

We know your needs better than you do.

or

Parrots going to parrot.

or now, apparently

Thou shall not carry your weapon so that it easily accessed while in your vehicle lest you be forced to commit road rage.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...I personally don't keep a gun in a car holster but why is it viewed so negatively?

Just to name a few of the cons (briefly) . . .

Because it carries many of the same risks as all off-body carry.
    Because many handguns are stolen from vehicles.
    Because it promotes unnecessary administrative handling of your firearm (increasing all the risks that go along with that).
    Because you may not have your gun when you need it.
    Because of traffic accidents.
    Because it can create unnecessary complications during law enforcement interactions.
    Because it creates an unpracticed draw stroke (apologies if you've done, or plan to do hundreds of reps with your vehicle holster, and in every vehicle where it's not mounted in the exact same position).
    Because of potential legal issues (ex. in some states you may not carry openly in your vehicle, even with a concealed carry license/permit).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many folks that use a car holster have an empty holster on their belt 100% of the time to carry the pistol when they walk away from the vehicle?

:popcorn:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I humbly submit that if you're having trouble with comfort that you may very well need better fitting pants. IE pants that are the correct waist size that are also worn at the correct latitude on your body. AND a good belt AND a good holster all work to form a comfortable system.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Just to name a few of the cons (briefly) . . .

Because it carries many of the same risks as all off-body carry.
    Because many handguns are stolen from vehicles.
    Because it promotes unnecessary administrative handling of your firearm (increasing all the risks that go along with that).
    Because you may not have your gun when you need it.
    Because of traffic accidents.
    Because it can create unnecessary complications during law enforcement interactions.
    Because it creates an unpracticed draw stroke (apologies if you've done, or plan to do hundreds of reps with your vehicle holster, and in every vehicle where it's not mounted in the exact same position).
    Because of potential legal issues (ex. in some states you may not carry openly in your vehicle, even with a concealed carry license/permit).
    How many more do we have to add to the list before we get to a reasonably valid one?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    How many folks that use a car holster have an empty holster on their belt 100% of the time to carry the pistol when they walk away from the vehicle?

:popcorn:
    If I were to have a vehicle holster, that would be the intent, so I ignore objections concerning leaving it in the car.

As far as moving from one holster to another and back again. I could see that issue more with striker fired and bo external safety. Each my hammered Beretta I have tactile, visual confirmation of safe condition. Still a risk, but not at glock level in my opinion.

As far as training with one, in theory yes, a valid concern, but I am bot so sure the supplied graphic would change all that much. Anecdotal, of course, most people I personally know who own firearms haven't taken any training. Especially if the criteria is hundreds of draws from a sitting position.

When I have considered it, it arises from having a left hand disadvantage.

Never fully pursued it in part because I never saw a system I felt was worth it and also I have comfortable iwb, comptec, and owb, safariland. If I did get one, I probably would try a safariland 6378 ALS and mount it somewhere myself. Which I also have yet to decide is the right thing to do.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I was thinking more of a transfer option from my belt holster to the vehicle holster. No where did I mention weapon storage. I am a bigger guy, right handed and don't personally like to attempt to access my weapon with the seat belt and seat belt buckle.

No my weapon isn't left in the car overnight. The only time that it is in the vehicle without me is when I am entering my kids school, and then it is in the locked glove box.

Top Bottom