• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Common issue for guys my age with a kid the age of my son. Sonny boy has his drivers license and Mom and I are sick and tired of running him and his sister to all their activities (mostly 4-H and church...so that tells you how crazy they are).

Here's what I am looking for- preferably under 80,000 miles, or just a bit over, year is less of a concern, 4 doors, automatic trans and air (my wife requires both and may drive it from time to time). I prefer decent gas mileage, but it doesn't have to be an econo box (I just got outbid on a police Impala).

Suggestions?

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Lincoln Ls Sport 2002

Your best bet is to not narrow to a specific car and leave it a little more open to a reliable car that has been well maintained. The one above looks like it could fit your needs and be fairly close.

I also like to look for cars that the market never caught onto. This lincoln LS is a great car but the used market for it is almost non existent.

Look for things like how well the house and the yard is cared for. (I know this sounds weird but ppl will try and hide stuff on their car but their house and yard most likely resembles how they care for their care.) How are the tires? Check the oil change sticker, is it new or overdue? A well cared for hyundi is a better buy than a crappy cared for toyota.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    A guy I work with said his daughter was selling a 96 (I think) Nissan Altima for $2200, miles are likely over what you are looking at though.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Any GM with a 3800 V6 is a good pick. We looked for something from Honda or Toyota to replace the Explorer we bought when the kid got his license. Gas mileage sucked and the boy ended up driving a lot more miles than we thought he would. Couldn't find anything decent. Everyone with a ragged out Accord or Camry thought it was made of gold. Ended up with a 99 Acura TL with low miles and a just replaced timing belt for under 3K. Guess people didn't get them memo that it's just a high dollar Honda.:dunno:

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Lincoln Ls Sport 2002

Your best bet is to not narrow to a specific car and leave it a little more open to a reliable car that has been well maintained. The one above looks like it could fit your needs and be fairly close.

I also like to look for cars that the market never caught onto. This lincoln LS is a great car but the used market for it is almost non existent.

Look for things like how well the house and the yard is cared for. (I know this sounds weird but ppl will try and hide stuff on their car but their house and yard most likely resembles how they care for their care.) How are the tires? Check the oil change sticker, is it new or overdue? A well cared for hyundi is a better buy than a crappy cared for toyota.

Cool car, but very expensive and a pain to work on with that jag v8

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd look into an Old Lady Buick Century with the 3100 series engine. Or an older Regal with the same or the 3800.

-J-

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I appreciate the suggests.

There is no way on earth that I'm getting anything with the words "sport" or "GT" anywhere near them.

I like used Accords, but we're talking about over 150,000 miles at my price. I also like the GM 3800 idea- solid engines, surprising good mileage. I will not own another 3100. I had one in my Grand Am- not horrible and took me to over 150,000 miles, but I don't want another.

I wouldn't think it would be as difficult to find a decent car in this range, especially since I don't care much about equipment beyond the auto and air. It seems like there's alot of 160,000 mile $2,000 cars and then cars well over my budgeted amount that are newer than I need. I'm looking for that sweet spot.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Cash for Clunkers

I wouldn't think it would be as difficult to find a decent car in this range, especially since I don't care much about equipment beyond the auto and air...

Cash for Clunkers destroyed the used car market. Watch gas prices this summer and when they pop over $4 a gallon you should be able to find some good deals on SUVs. While the gas mileage will suck your son will be better protected in an accident.

Another place for a deal is an old lady car from an estate sale. Low mileage Buicks usually.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Used Honda Accord. With that budget, it'll be over 100k miles most likely, but they'll run forever.

THIS I bought my daughter a 1998 Accord with 121K miles loaded everything works for $3,800 over a year and a half ago, still runs great today. Probably needs tires by winter though, but it drove great last winter.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Used cop car.
    They are nothing special, no thrills ride, and basic. AC/heat/power windows and locks/stereo and a TANK which is great for a young driver. My 01 Crown VIC PI gets pretty good milage, I don't have specific numbers but I would venture to say about 300 miles per tank with that land yacht. Best part about the car, it's easy to work on, parts everywhere and cheap. Insurance is also cheap on it.

I paid 1,300 for mine, less then 150k on it, had to put a bit of money in it for the timing chain guides, but you can find them all day long where someone has fixed this issue. Also mine came with a push bar up front :-D

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I appreciate the suggests.

There is no way on earth that I'm getting anything with the words "sport" or "GT" anywhere near them.

I like used Accords, but we're talking about over 150,000 miles at my price. I also like the GM 3800 idea- solid engines, surprising good mileage. I will not own another 3100. I had one in my Grand Am- not horrible and took me to over 150,000 miles, but I don't want another.

I wouldn't think it would be as difficult to find a decent car in this range, especially since I don't care much about equipment beyond the auto and air. It seems like there's alot of 160,000 mile $2,000 cars and then cars well over my budgeted amount that are newer than I need. I'm looking for that sweet spot.

Cars for Sale in Valparaiso, IN 46383: cars under 5000 - AutoTrader.com

Here is an autotrader search within 50 miles of Valparaiso. You can tweak it to eliminate certain types of cars, extend or shorten search radius, etc. Craigslist is difficult to use when your options are this broad because you can't filter mileage and have to search a specific make and model. You can find great deals on craigslist but there are plenty of scams, and people who list their cars at prices that even a shady dealership wouldn't dare advertise for the same car. Also, I wouldn't necessarily shy away from anything labeled "sport" or "GT," because there are plenty of cars with those labels that don't make enough power to get out of their own way. Good luck in your search.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks guys!

I actually bought a car today. I found an older ('96) Saturn SW2 for just over $3,000, 72,000 miles. Very clean, very nice. Cold air, very good tires.

attachment.php

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    In my family's experience, Honda's have been the best for new drivers. Cheap, great mpg, cheap to fix, cheap insurance, and they don't breakdown often.

I bought a GM SUV with 50,000 about 5 years ago for $5000 and it was the biggest piece of crap I ever bought. Constantly broke down and was in the repair show. Usually pretty major repairs too. Sold it at a huge loss at 94,000 miles and bought myself a Ford truck. Have not had a problem yet with it. With that being said, it is a gas hog and insurance isn't the best, but it gets me where I need to be and I enjoy driving it. Both of my younger brothers have honda's and they have been very reliable, even with 150,000+ miles. and close to 35mpg.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm a GM guy from way back and they don't scare me. My experience has been quite good and Saturns are known to run 180,000 to over 200,00 when well maintained (which goes withoout saying). My buddy had a Saturn SL2 that had 202,000 miles...when a tree fell on it. He wanted to keep it.

Top Bottom