• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    For some odd reason I am interested in getting a 9mm revolver, I haven't researched much yet to see what options are out there but have seen the Taurus 905. Any suggestions are welcome, just looking for a plinker but would prefer a longer barrel, maybe 5" or 6".

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Technically, every .38 special or 357 magnum fires a 9mm bullet.:D

You could look at the Chiappa Rhino I think they just released one chambered in 9mm.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Technically, every .38 special or 357 magnum fires a 9mm bullet.:D

You could look at the Chiappa Rhino I think they just released one chambered in 9mm.

OK, so this is a :hijack: but if these calibers will also shoot 9mm, can I shoot 9mm through a Marlin 1894c chambered in .357? Just curious.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    OK, so this is a :hijack: but if these calibers will also shoot 9mm, can I shoot 9mm through a Marlin 1894c chambered in .357? Just curious.

No. The 9x19 will not fire in any .38 special or 357 magnum revolver or lever action rifle. The 9x19 is a non-rimmed cartridge therefore it will only work in revolvers chambered in 9x19 and only if you use a moonclip to keep the rounds in place and headspaced correctly. And it is impossible for the 9x19 to be fired in any lever action because of its lack of rim.

I was just messing with the OP. He said he was looking for a 9mm revolver. I said the .38 special and 357 magnum were 9mm bullets because technically they are. The 9x19 measures .355 across while the .38/357 measure .357 across, so technically they are all 9mm bullets.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wonder what it'd take for me to have a cylinder made for my 686... *sigh*

And seriously - do Ruger and S&W not know the sheer numbers of 9mm revolvers they'd sell if they made them?

A SP101 in 9mm? Yes, Please! A GP100 in 9mm? Yes, please! A "S&W Model 10-sized" revolver in 9mm? Yes, please! A 7-shot 9mm 686 to compliment my 7-shot .357? Yes, please!

-J-

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    A SP101 in 9mm? Yes, Please! A GP100 in 9mm? Yes, please! A "S&W Model 10-sized" revolver in 9mm? Yes, please! A 7-shot 9mm 686 to compliment my 7-shot .357? Yes, please!

-J-
    The market is tiny for a 9mm wheelgun. Moon clips are required and most people don't want to monkey with them. Besides, if you're getting one of the above mentioned pistols they are available in a much more potent cartridge (357 mag). Doesn't make sense to handicap yourslef with a 9mm. And it's not as simple as a cylander swap, the barrel needs to be made .002" smaller.

9mm rimmed would work, but a weaker cartridge doesn't make sense. I guess a J-frame could be shortened slightly. Overall length for a 38 is 1.55", for a 9mm it is 1.169". So I guess technically the revolver could be re-designed and shortened by about 0.381".

The returns don't justify the costs for the manufacturer, that's the bottom line.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The market is tiny for a 9mm wheelgun. Moon clips are required and most people don't want to monkey with them. Besides, if you're getting one of the above mentioned pistols they are available in a much more potent cartridge (357 mag). Doesn't make sense to handicap yourslef with a 9mm. And it's not as simple as a cylander swap, the barrel needs to be made .002" smaller.

9mm rimmed would work, but a weaker cartridge doesn't make sense. I guess a J-frame could be shortened slightly. Overall length for a 38 is 1.55", for a 9mm it is 1.169". So I guess technically the revolver could be re-designed and shortened by about 0.381".

The returns don't justify the costs for the manufacturer, that's the bottom line.

Out of a short barrel / snubby type gun, a +p 9mm actually outperforms a .357mag - at least according to the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel-specific ammo.

Also, in some platforms, it CAN indeed be just as simple as swapping cylinders. Ruger has made, in the past, Blackhawk revolvers that easily convertible between 38/357 and 9mm.

Accuracy may indeed suffer with 9mm vs. the others - but it works A-OK.

And yes, I do know that moonclips are a hassle.

But if you don't think the'd sell a crap ton of them - just look at what the prices on the relatively few used 9mm revolvers go for.

-J-

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Out of a short barrel / snubby type gun, a +p 9mm actually outperforms a .357mag - at least according to the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel-specific ammo.
    Not even close. Chronograph data below.

My Kahr PM9 (3" 9mm auto) fires Winchester PDX+P and Speer Gold Dot SB+P 124gr bullets at 1155 fps. That's 367ft-lbs of energy.

My 3" Ruger SP101 (357 mag) fires 125gr bullets 1420fps. Load is 22gr H110 under a 125gr XTP bullet. That's 560ft-lbs of energy.

But if you don't think the'd sell a crap ton of them - just look at what the prices on the relatively few used 9mm revolvers go for.
    I think that's the guys grabbing up the old Pre-lock Pre-MIM revolvers. And 9mm is a rarity that makes them more desireable.

If there was a market for it, it would be done.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana

Also, in some platforms, it CAN indeed be just as simple as swapping cylinders. Ruger has made, in the past, Blackhawk revolvers that easily convertible between 38/357 and 9mm.

Accuracy may indeed suffer with 9mm vs. the others - but it works A-OK.

And yes, I do know that moonclips are a hassle.

-J-

Blackhawk convertable in 357/38/9mm is what I have. Best of all NO MOONCLIPS:rockwoot: cylinder exchange takes just a few seconds and is made for the 9mm cartridge so no clips needed.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Gotta disagree on the moon clips being a pain. But....you need enough loaded for your purposes.
    I'd hate to run out in a fight but proper fitted moon clips are faster, surer and take up less space
    than speed loader....but you gotta carry enough! They can be a pain to load and unload till you get
    the hang of it...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Thinking about it, a J frame, shortened for optimal fit in 9mm, would kinda resemble a started pistol. A BG might Laugh themselves into a heart attack if they thought you just pulled a starter pistol on them, and if not, a 9mm is still a fairly potent round for self defence use.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bapak2ja

No. The 9x19 will not fire in any .38 special or 357 magnum revolver or lever action rifle. The 9x19 is a non-rimmed cartridge therefore it will only work in revolvers chambered in 9x19 and only if you use a moonclip to keep the rounds in place and headspaced correctly. And it is impossible for the 9x19 to be fired in any lever action because of its lack of rim.

I was just messing with the OP. He said he was looking for a 9mm revolver. I said the .38 special and 357 magnum were 9mm bullets because technically they are. The 9x19 measures .355 across while the .38/357 measure .357 across, so technically they are all 9mm bullets.

Or are the both 35 cal?

This is why you should be sparingly with your sarcasim. Someone will take it literally! LOL

Top Bottom