• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The market is tiny for a 9mm wheelgun. Moon clips are required and most people don't want to monkey with them. Besides, if you're getting one of the above mentioned pistols they are available in a much more potent cartridge (357 mag). Doesn't make sense to handicap yourslef with a 9mm. And it's not as simple as a cylander swap, the barrel needs to be made .002" smaller.

9mm rimmed would work, but a weaker cartridge doesn't make sense. I guess a J-frame could be shortened slightly. Overall length for a 38 is 1.55", for a 9mm it is 1.169". So I guess technically the revolver could be re-designed and shortened by about 0.381".

The returns don't justify the costs for the manufacturer, that's the bottom line.

Actually you don't need Moonclips for a few 9mm DA revolvers. S&W marketed their 547 K frame revolver in 9mm. It was made for a few years back in the early 1980's. They had 3" and 4" barrels (that I know of) They had some type of extraction system within the chambers of the cylnder. Ruger made their Speed Six in 9mm around the same time. Not familare with the Ruger though.

You can find them but it will cost you. One suggestion is for around 250.00 S&W K & L frame as well as Ruger GP 100 is a company called Penical can bore the cylnder for 9mm. Actually they make it 9X23 which lets you run 9X23, 38 Super, and 9mm through it with moonclips. I love using moonclips with my 625's. there is a learning curve with moonclips but they work very very well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection ammo:

124g 9mm + P = 1150fps @ muzzle for a 3.5" barrel = 364ft lbs energy @ muzzle

135g 357Mag = 990 fps @ muzzle for a "2-V" barrel = 294ft lbs energy @ muzzle

Not sure what 2-V indicates in their test data - Might account for how revolver barrels are measured vs. how semi-auto barrels are measured (you count the chamber in a semi-auto, but don't count the cylinder in a revolver)

What this tells me that a 3" Ruger SP101 using Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo would be more effective (from a purely numbers standpoint) than a J-frame S&W revolver with the 1 & 7/8" barrel stoked with the 357 Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection ammo:

124g 9mm + P = 1150fps @ muzzle for a 3.5" barrel = 364ft lbs energy @ muzzle

135g 357Mag = 990 fps @ muzzle for a "2-V" barrel = 294ft lbs energy @ muzzle

Not sure what 2-V indicates in their test data - Might account for how revolver barrels are measured vs. how semi-auto barrels are measured (you count the chamber in a semi-auto, but don't count the cylinder in a revolver)

What this tells me that a 3" Ruger SP101 using Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo would be more effective (from a purely numbers standpoint) than a J-frame S&W revolver with the 1 & 7/8" barrel stoked with the 357 Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo.
    I'm not sure why you keep referring to anemic 357 loads to compare to 9mm. It is weak sauce. It's about 1/2 the energy you can throw out of a 3" 357 revolver.

Again:
    My 3" Ruger SP101 (357 mag) fires 125gr bullets 1420fps. Load is 22gr H110 under a 125gr XTP bullet. That's 560ft-lbs of energy.

Here's a link to show another factory load at much higher velocities through a 2.5" snubby.
    http://www.snubnose.info/docs/38-snub_vs_357-snub.htm
    Remington .357 Magnum 125-grain SJHP (Full-house load): 1243 ft/sec
    That's 429 ft-lbs of energy.

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I am sorry. I have never heard "Rhino Revolver" and "Looks cool" in the same sentence before. Thanks for allowing that new phrase into my "Sentences I have never heard before' section of my brain.:D

Well maybe I meant different......:):

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I think Ruger chambered one of their DA revolvers for 9mm. Not sure about picture quality, but in all the years picking up brass I have found 4 9mm rimmed. Here's half of them.

20ayw7n.jpg

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    S&W 547 4" barrel

Pros: Very accurate, cheap to shoot, no clips needed for extracton and it has the typical feel of a model 10.

Cons: The extractor gets a little dirty and needs a little attention while shooting, after about every 100 rds.

MP547014-Copy.jpg

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    S&W 547 4" barrel

Pros: Very accurate, cheap to shoot, no clips needed for extracton and it has the typical feel of a model 10.

Cons: The extractor gets a little dirty and needs a little attention while shooting, after about every 100 rds.

MP547014-Copy.jpg

Yeah I'm wanting an sp101 always been a Ruger fan, but I like the 547 by S&W too! I haven't held the Charter Arms or looked much into there extraction system. It would be interesting to compare them both side by side. Maybe i'll run across a few good deals and do a review on them all.<wishing..

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I currently own the 9mm Pitbull, as they are called now. Here is a link for specs if you are looking for that...

79920 9 mm Pitbull Rimless Revolver

It is more accurate than I am, and seems solidly built. I have no complaints. It has never failed to fire or eject a round to date. But I don't have a high round count through it yet. Maybe 250 rounds.

The trigger is typical revolver...long heavy double action...very light very crisp single action. I don't have a trigger pound meter, but I would say double is probably 10lbs or so with single around 2lbs or so. But that is a very rough guess. Needless to say...I LOVE the single action.

The only complaint that I heard about the Pitbull series was the 1st offering in .40 S&W. It seems that even when the ejector rod was fully pushed back, it was not long enough to fully eject those long .40 cases. However, in my 9mm version, the ejector has more than enough travel to eject the cases fully. It seems that their spring loaded plunger design works.

I will say this, the design of this pistol does not and will not lend itself to speed loading. If you want that, this is not the revolver for you. It is easier to load the rounds at a slight angle with the ejector pushed back about 1/4 and inch. Once all 6 chambers are loaded, then you let the ejector rod spring forward and the rounds move in each chamber easily.

This revolver is all stainless and seems nice. Not as nice as a Smith & Wesson, but functional. But I don't care if my guns win beauty pageants. I want them to work. And work it does.

That is my :twocents: for what it is worth.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Worddoer thanks for your two cents. I've always been atracted to the extractor systems on these 9mm revolvers being an engineer. It's such a simple design, it makes me wonder why they don't make 9mm revolvers more common.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Worddoer thanks for your two cents. I've always been atracted to the extractor systems on these 9mm revolvers being an engineer. It's such a simple design, it makes me wonder why they don't make 9mm revolvers more common.

I think the cost of engineering was the demise of the 547, along with all the new 9mm auto loaders entering the market in the early 80's

I dont know about the other's but the 547 has a finger type extractor that locks into the rim of the case.
    SW547042.jpg

I would like to know if the other 9mm, non clip, revolvers have the cartridge retainer above the firing pin?

I understand this was designed to keep the shell casing in place as the firing pin hits the hammer.
    The retainer engages the shell upon pulling the trigger, moments before the firing pin strikes the primer. On some spent casings, I can see a shiny round circle on the rim where the retainer engaged the case.

SW547053.jpg

I have to add at least one good photo.

MP547093.jpg

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    It makes sense that the retainer would leave a mark, it is the only thing holding pressure back against the casing. It would be nice if someone who owns the pitbull has any feedback about it's operation. I believe those are the only apples to apples comparison. Nice 547, that last picture is classy! I've always been a Ruger guy but those S&W's are growing on me.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I think the cost of engineering was the demise of the 547, along with all the new 9mm auto loaders entering the market in the early 80's

I dont know about the other's but the 547 has a finger type extractor that locks into the rim of the case.
    SW547042.jpg

I would like to know if the other 9mm, non clip, revolvers have the cartridge retainer above the firing pin?

I understand this was designed to keep the shell casing in place as the firing pin hits the hammer.
    The retainer engages the shell upon pulling the trigger, moments before the firing pin strikes the primer. On some spent casings, I can see a shiny round circle on the rim where the retainer engaged the case.

SW547053.jpg

I have to add at least one good photo.

MP547093.jpg

DROOL,SLOBBER,DROOL ;)

Top Bottom