Looking at Plate Carriers\body armor, any advice INGO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I am overwhelmed by how many companies offer plate carriers or body armor. Looking for LEVEL 3 bullet proof vest or maybe a plate carrier for my wife. I am looking for a plate carrier for me. Any advice INGO?

I am 6 ft in shape, she is 5,7 and in shape.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am overwhelmed by how many companies offer plate carriers or body armor. Looking for bullet proof vest or maybe a plate carrier for my wife. I am looking for a plate carrier for me. Any advice INGO?

I am 6 ft in shape, she is 5,7 and in shape.
    Are you talking "bullet proof" or "bullet resistant"? Handgun or rifle fire? I remember the label inside Level-3 saying WARNING! WILL NOT STOP RIFLE FIRE. Level-4 will stop rifle fire but man is it heavy (around 40 pounds.)

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Are you talking "bullet proof" or "bullet resistant"? Handgun or rifle fire? I remember the label inside Level-3 saying WARNING! WILL NOT STOP RIFLE FIRE. Level-4 will stop rifle fire but man is it heavy (around 40 pounds.)

Level 4 is not that heavy. Level 4 ceramic plates are ~8 pounds a piece.... so around 16 for front and back.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Do a search on Light fighter for various plate carriers and armor. Also Nelson Uniform can provide information. Level 3A will stop most common handgun rounds. Level 3 will stop most of the common rifle rounds. Level 4 is rated for specific ap ammo and generally not multi strike rated. At least that is my understanding of the topic. Also the lighter the plates weigh the more they cost.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Go to patriot Armors website,

Order their level 3 plus plates with the build up coating Price is $285.00 ish stops M193 and green tip penetrator rounds.

Order a condor sentry plate carrier for 40 bucks for a total under $350.00 best deal around. And they havent had recalls for their armor like AR500 and their spall build up actually works.

Editied, I said M198 at first I meant M193 (this wont stop a howitzer)

Last edited:

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Here are my setups.

The condor sentry plate carrier is nice and low profile and the wide shoulder straps really help with the weight. Its fast on and fast off, buckles on the sides make it easy.

Im going to be working on modding the sentry to accept my HSP D3CR.

This is my Velocity systems light weight plate carrier with the HSP D3CR on it.

I like this for use with the chest rig. It supports all the weight niceley and its comfortable to wear given the circumstances.

These are the actual plates from Patriot, The top ones are their plus rated plates that I am using, the bottom are their standard plates that stop pretty much everything but the M193 rounds. These also have their build up spall guard applied.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Somewhere buried in the classifieds I have a size Small IOTV and a PASGT flak vest for sale. These are the "hers" part of the his & hers armor I own. ("She" doesn't want it anymore.)

Armor all depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay. The market is trending toward go-fast carriers with Level III or IV plates in them but those don't offer much in the way of protection from shrapnel, flak, ricochets, etc. If you're buying armor for zombie apocalypse it may be better to buy bigger rigs with more protection. Plate carriers are awesome for kicking in doors and going heads up with folks shooting guns directly at you but they don't cover your neck, shoulders, stomach, etc., and if things are blowing up around you or you're catching rounds that are bouncing off something like a car, you may want a bit more coverage.

My theory on armor has always been big & heavy (to include helmets) while defending a static position or while vehicle mobile but light and fast while moving on foot. The bare minimum I'd go with is a PASGT flak vest or plate carrier with ceramic plates. I do not recommend steel unless that's all you can afford. If you have to go with steel get the coated plates and try to use a Level II or better soft armor system behind it to minimize trauma and catch spall.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Here are my setups.

The condor sentry plate carrier is nice and low profile and the wide shoulder straps really help with the weight. Its fast on and fast off, buckles on the sides make it easy.

Im going to be working on modding the sentry to accept my HSP D3CR.

This is my Velocity systems light weight plate carrier with the HSP D3CR on it.

I like this for use with the chest rig. It supports all the weight niceley and its comfortable to wear given the circumstances.

These are the actual plates from Patriot, The top ones are their plus rated plates that I am using, the bottom are their standard plates that stop pretty much everything but the M193 rounds. These also have their build up spall guard applied.

Whats the wait time on this company?

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Whats the wait time on this company?

They say 3-4 weeks, I got mine in 2 and a half. They also sell trauma pads which I have just didnt show, 70 bucks for a 2 packs they are also 2-4 weeks but you can add them onto you order as a package and itll all ship at the same time.

Also if your a LEO they offer a 10 percent discount just email their discount email on their site with a pic of your badge and ID and they will respond within a few days with a coupon code.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    They say 3-4 weeks, I got mine in 2 and a half. They also sell trauma pads which I have just didnt show, 70 bucks for a 2 packs they are also 2-4 weeks but you can add them onto you order as a package and itll all ship at the same time.

Also if your a LEO they offer a 10 percent discount just email their discount email on their site with a pic of your badge and ID and they will respond within a few days with a coupon code.

Awesome thanks! I'll be getting ahold of them today and ordering my plate carrier for SKD. Thinking about going with the Ferro Concepts Slickster. Has anybody had an experience with these? I've seen one review of people with actual guns and armor using these, the other are airsoft people. SKD sells it so are they legit or should I look for something else?

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Havent had any experience with them but it looks like that model would interface pretty well with a D3CR, If you dont have one already its pretty freaking awesome. Pricey but awesome.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yeah I'm kinda mixed about getting one. This is gonna be my active shooter/barricaded subject rig. I carry 3 pistol mags on my belt and my AR has 2 mags on it. So I've been trying to justify carrying 4 more mags of each over just running a slick plate carrier with just two rifle mags and one more pistol mags giving me 4 of each instead of 7 pistol and 6 rifle. Thats a **** ton of weight lol

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Yeah I'm kinda mixed about getting one. This is gonna be my active shooter/barricaded subject rig. I carry 3 pistol mags on my belt and my AR has 2 mags on it. So I've been trying to justify carrying 4 more mags of each over just running a slick plate carrier with just two rifle mags and one more pistol mags giving me 4 of each instead of 7 pistol and 6 rifle. Thats a **** ton of weight lol

Understandable, My Condor carrier is my active shooter rig because its fast and low pro. I can see adding a pistol mag or 2 for now. But Until Im issued a rifle thatll do. With 3 mags on my belt and 17+1 in my gun thats 69 rounds on my person.

I can see adding some sort of medical to the carrier like a tournequet and quick clot but nothing crazy Since I running a CAT on my belt.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well I just spent a load of cash on plates and a carrier that I hope my wife doesn't find out about lol.

I ended up getting the Patriot Armor Lvl3+ with the spawl coating that ran $250 with the LEO discount. Then I went ahead and got the Ferro Slickster and police patches from SKD for $150.

I did not get any mag pouches yet because they don't have the color and brand of what I wanted so I'll have to wait on those. Overall I think I'm gonna like this setup

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Nice! I had to sell my sig to get my stuff, but I'm glad I've got the peace of mind that I went with the plus plates as well. They should stop anything Within reason that I realistically should be coming in contact with. If these plates don't protect against it and it's being shot at me I'm probably in some deep:poop::poop::poop: and Need to focus on getting out of dodge.

and at that point hopefully the cavalry is 10-76 if they aren't already there.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    If you are LEO you really should buy some ESAPI plates. Someone in your dept should know where to get them.....

Patriot has Level IV ceramic plates that are rated to stop one shot of 30-06 armor piercing or up to 6 rounds of non-armor piercing rounds. They roll out the door for about $300.

The key is doing a personal risk assessment and evaluating your threat level in the area you are going to be working. For instance my first agency - which was a very very rural area - a cops worst nightmare was an angry vengeful old farmer being evicted from his family farm and armed with his 30-30. Hardly a case for ESAPI Plates nor the justification for a patrolmans meager salary for what they cost 10 years ago.

Now a days just about everyone has an AR or AK sitting around to throw into action when the police show up to do a knock and talk about that pesky warrant for FTA you have hanging over your head and you just can't "go back"....

However - the odds your going to run into someone with an '06' stuffed full of AP rounds is fairly low even today. At least here in central Indiana. (Not saying it can't happen - just that a AR stacked full of M193 is more likely).

Certainly if you have the extra coin then ESAPI would be just the ticket... but... you also have to be cognizant of how those plates are going to be stored and treated as they will crack if mishandled, so don't go out and drop $400+ on a ESAPI rig and toss it haphazardly in the trunk of your cruiser.

It would be awesome if the mfg'ers could put out a "One Plate Stops All" that could be handled like steel plates and cost the same if not less but that's not the case. Everyone needs to weigh their threat level with their pocket book and make an intelligent and informed decision and buy what best suits their current situation within reason.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    How about for the non Law Enforcement side of things? I've been kicking around the idea of getting something L3 for range use. Purpose would be almost entirely to deal with the remote possibility of an accident. Sounds like that easy on / easy off rig with the Patriot plates and a Condor carrier would be good for that too. Low enough profile to not be all "Timmy tacticool" but good enough to help in case of an ND at the range from a fellow shooter.

Top Bottom