• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I'm trying to find me a smaller safe for my less than ideal neighborhood. My budget is going to be around 700 + or - a little. Anyone brands I should steer away from? My father has a Winchester that I think he paid around 6 on sale and I like it, just would like some more options. Needs to house half a dozen long guns and several handguns.

:dunno:

:ingo:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Whatever you get, make sure you can bolt it to the ground and do it. Oh, and check the fire rating on it too. I dont like the keypad safes as the idea of depending on a battery is not for me.

It is personal preference though.

I

IN28

Look at Liberty safes. Not the cheapest, but they great safes.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If you are a member at Sam's club or Costco check out their websites. They regularly run sales on different models and offer free shipping. I bought a huge 64 gun safe online from Costco at a tremendous price a couple years ago. They contract with a LTL freight company and deliver right to your garage on a pallet.

Personally I like Canon and Liberty. And I agree with the above post about getting one with a decent fire rating if you have unique or valuable firearms that would be hard to replace.

Final advice....get at least 30 percent bigger than you "need." You will likely add more firearms to your collection and it is a pain it the arse to "switch" safes once you drag one in and install it.

Good luck

Btw, once you get one and want some decent lighting, check out the lights I posted on earlier today in the accessories thread.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/256180-effective_an_inexpensive_gun_safe_lighting_suggestion.html

Last edited:

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I didn't think of sams club, we did renew our membership when we had our twins last summer to get some bulkage. I'll definitely check them out.

Edit: Thanks alot for that lead! I can get walmart gift cards through a work reward program and have a couple hundred credits saved up

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah they look well built from glancing at their website, doesn't look like a very good bang for the buck option though.

I bought this safe last year, it was actually on sale for $300 in their black Friday ad. It's "Centurion by Liberty" and is pretty solid for the price. I got a couple other safes, but if you're low on funds and just want to foil the opportunistic thief or punk kids it's a great entry level value.

Shop Centurion by Liberty Safe Liberty Centurion 14-Gun Black Gun Safe at Lowes.com

Here's my rig. Again, it won't stop a dedicated thief with power tools at the ready, but a lot of low end safes won't do that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

safe.jpg

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I bought this safe last year, it was actually on sale for $300 in their black Friday ad. It's "Centurion by Liberty" and is pretty solid for the price. I got a couple other safes, but if you're low on funds and just want to foil the opportunistic thief or punk kids it's a great entry level value.

Shop Centurion by Liberty Safe Liberty Centurion 14-Gun Black Gun Safe at Lowes.com

Here's my rig. Again, it won't stop a dedicated thief with power tools at the ready, but a lot of low end safes won't do that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah thats really all my goal is. I'm counting on no professional breaking into my lower middle class house in search of valuables. I wish I had a few thousand to invest in a safe, but not this time around.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Re: Looking at Gun Safes

The Truth About The Way Gun Safes Are Built.

Watch this whole video before you buy a Safe.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&feature=watch-vrec[/ame]

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville

Thanks for the link. Will definitely be using this tip:

3. As mentioned earlier, place the safe against TWO walls. One against the back of the safe and the other against the side of the safe that is OPPOSITE of the door hinges. This removes area for criminals to gain any leverage or even ability to insert a tool in the door.This method however, will only help if you DO anchor it in that location.

Top Bottom