• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to "crack" a locked safe to test its vulnerabilities several years ago. One of the perks from working in engineering and technical fields.;) I've been noticing a lot of threads asking questions about them in recent months so I thought I would share some of my findings.

First, let's be clear about one thing. I'm referring to gun SAFES and not CABINETS. A safe has a locking mechanism of choice, with a turn handle which engages large BOLTS of metal to keep the door sealed against its frame. Cabinets can vary in design, but they generally DO NOT have large BOLTS of steel sealing the door. A good rule of thumb would be that if you can bend it with your hands, it's going to be 10x easier to bend/break with even a small hand tool.

From the experiences, I learned that it can be VERY easy to gain entry if certain conditions are met. It took me and one other VERY large guy all of about 15-20 minutes to gain entry using nothing more than a large flat head screw driver and a crow bar. The metal is thin and malleable around the doors making it easy to bend out of the way of the bolts on some brands such as Stack-On. Not all safes are built with the same processes or metals however. Also this this does not necessarily mean that those brands cannot serve their purpose. Along with the right precautions, even the small $300-$600 safes can be as effective as the larger, more expensive, brand name safes.

The most important thing I learned is that little differences between one brand and another don't matter NEARLY as much as having the safe securely anchored in order to prevent its removal or tipping onto its side. Had we not been able to tip the safe on its back, it would have taken us considerably more time, tools, and manpower. I seriously even doubt we would have been successful without that benefit for a couple reasons. One, the safe being upright as intended prevents intruders from leveraging more manpower by limiting space to do it. A 4' high door standing upright only allows room for about 2 guys to pry on the "non-hinged" side at a time with any real amount of force. On the other hand, if it's tipped over you can fit double that many people, if not more. Also, being upright makes it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to pry and leverage any real force on the top and bottom of the door because of the floor is blocking one,and height being out of reach for the other. You can apply this same concept of restricted space by placing the safe so that the side of it which opens (opposite of the hinges) is against a wall. This limits the amount of room to be able to wedge any tools into the door or leverage any force to pry.

Being privately funded testing and not having sufficient room to do it prevented us from putting any fireproofing to the test. I merely recommend going with the best that you can afford. The hotter and longer the rating, the better. Trust in the company who designed it.If it fails, well, you can let them pay to replace your stuff if necessary.

In hindsight, if you are able to EFFECTIVELY secure the safe and keep it from being moved in any way then you don't need to worry so much about brands, quality, prices, etc. We tackled and conquered a large Stack-On in about 15 minutes. Even with the size/strength advantage provided by my partner I sincerely doubt we would have succeeded even against THAT relatively cheap safe had we not been able to tip it on its back.Hence, not staying where ever you place it is ABSOLUTELY DETRIMENTAL to its effectiveness.

Tipping a safe over allowed us enough room to effectively manipulate wedged tools into the door frame and begin bending and flexing the metal which the door bolts insert into. Thus, rendering them useless. Therefore, ALWAYS pay attention to the thickness/flexibility of the metal which the bolt insert into or rest against (door jam/frame). On a model which has bolts on the HINGED side as well, it would be next to impossible to gain access in a reasonable amount of time.

In theory, you don't want an intruder to simply be able to walk off with your safe. Therefore, securing it in place is the first priority. In the event they somehow manage to circumvent your installation, then size and weight could be the only thing stopping them. Even if it doesn't stop them from trying, it certainly won't be a speedy process. If your home has as busy of a traffic pattern as many people's, then slowing them down enough could prove to be the step which keeps your goodies safe at home. Plus, additional size means you're not going to run out of room any time soon.

It IS feasible/possible to gain entry to a safe while it is standing and secured, however it's impractical. A typical criminal isn't going to randomly carry the amount of or size of tooling with him necessary to accomplish this feat. Therefore again, size and weight are a priority too. That however, DOES NOT mean that you need to spend too much money. You can add weight to a safe fairly easily with ammo. You just want to be sure that you’ren ot relying entirely on the weight. Windows break easily, are often low to theground, and let’s face it… safes are easy to tip into a truck bed.

Considerations by priority:

#1 Ability to adequately secure the safe into its position in your home
    #2 Thickness/strength of metal around the door frame and bolt entries
    #3 Design of the door frame can prevent unwanted utensils from slipping in
    #4 The more bolts, the marrier..on ALL sides of the door
    #5 Fireproofing; the hotter and longer time frame in rating, the better
    #6 Finally, BIGGER IS BETTER (as long as it fits);)

If you're able to properly secure your safe then you are merely opening up your shopping market. Properly secured, I would not doubt the ability of a large Stack-On but once they get into the $500-$600 range you will find much more bang for your buck in safes at Tractor Supply Company. From there, the sky is the limit.

I wanted to keep this short and sweet to help those who might need assistance in choosing and I don't have a lot of time to write out all the detail that I would like to. Plus, I don't want to lose people's interest in a long, drawn out detailed account and wanted to share what I feel to be the top PRIORITIES in safe considerations. There ARE methods to secure a safe no matter your circumstances even if you live in an apartment, as I currently do. If you have further questions regarding considerations and what I was able to learn several years ago, feel free to ask here. Hope this helps some.

TIPS AND TRICKS

1. If you're going to bolt the safe to the wall, make sure you secure it to TWO studs rather than ONE. If only one, it would be relatively easy to get a grasp of the safe and use leverage to twist it enough to break the scews free from the single stud.

2. If you're limited in funds or space and must purchase a smaller safe, it's a good idea to weigh it down if at all possible by filling the bottom with ammo. If it's a fireproof safe, this will also help at ensuring your goodies are safe during a fire because if rounds are being cooked off for HOURS the fire department will not handle it until it's safe. Thus, allowing enough time to defeat your fireproofing and destroy your investments.

3. As mentioned earlier, place the safe against TWO walls. One against the back of the safe and the other against the side of the safe that is OPPOSITE of the door hinges. This removes area for criminals to gain any leverage or even ability to insert a tool in the door.This method however, will only help if you DO anchor it in that location.

4. Don't leave tools lying around in plain sight which a criminal could use against you in your absence.

Last edited:

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Thanks. Great info. I just bought a Winchester safe from tractor supply that they had on sale. I plan on putting it upstairs in my bedroom and lagging it to the wall.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Thanks. Great info. I just bought a Winchester safe from tractor supply that they had on sale. I plan on putting it upstairs in my bedroom and lagging it to the wall.
    I recently purchased from TSC too because I live in an apartment for a while longer and didn't want to invest in something else I'll have to move later. I'm confident in all of their safes (assuming you secure it properly) and they have good prices. A guy in Ft. Wayne used to deliver EXCELLENT quality at unbeatable prices, but I don't know if he's still doing that or not.

Anyhow, make sure you secure it to the wall studs and not drywall (I've heard of people doing it). Try to secure it to TWO studs if at all possible. It wouldn't be difficult to get a good enough grip on it to twist it off and break the screws in only ONE stud. Being upstairs, you could still go through the floor board too possibly, but it would be a little more work and you'd have to patch some ceiling areas. I have an electronic method to use for apartment dwellers like me though which keeps the walls mostly in tact.

Last edited:

jasonville43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Jasonville, Indiana
    Thanks for the info, I am currently researching safes as well! Most of your common thiefs arent going to get into a mid-level safe because they will not come prepared for it, just hope you dont get the BOY Scout thief that is ready for anything!!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Thanks for the info, I am currently researching safes as well! Most of your common thiefs arent going to get into a mid-level safe because they will not come prepared for it, just hope you dont get the BOY Scout thief that is ready for anything!!
    That, and there's nothing saying he can't/won't break into your house twice. It's not like they are going to fingerprint and go on a manhunt for a B&E.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hence, not staying where ever you place it is ABSOLUTELY DETRIMENTAL to its effectiveness
    FIFY. Good write-up. Most people won't realize that, they'll just plop the safe wherever.
    If you can install it so the opening edge of the door (opposite the hinge side) is by the wall it will be impossible to wedge it open without moving it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    FIFY. Good write-up. Most people won't realize that, they'll just plop the safe wherever.
    If you can install it so the opening edge of the door (opposite the hinge side) is by the wall it will be impossible to wedge it open without moving it.
    Good catch. Thanks. Good point too. I'll include it in the OP so future readers need not go through every post and will continue to do so for others. I was writing this OP pretty quickly so I'm sure I left a lot out.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI

That's where i'm coming from. Any safe can be cracked by somebody who knows what they're doing and has the right tools. My thought in getting a safe is to stop the crack head looking for an easy score. Most safes should be able to do that.

Not sure if they'll have it again, but black Friday weekend last year I got a smokin' good deal on a Centurian (Liberty) Safe for $300 from Lowes of all places. May want to keep an eye out for that.

Again this is LAST years but I still glance at other safes now and am more and more happy with my purchase. Maybe they will offer it again. Lowes Black Friday Ad 2011 - Lowes black friday 2011, Lowes Black Friday Deals, Lowes Black Friday Ad

TWS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Wow! Great info. I never anchored mine thinking there was no need, its a browning weighing 900#. But i see the need now! Guess i never underestimate the determination of a theif! Thanks!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    That's where i'm coming from. Any safe can be cracked by somebody who knows what they're doing and has the right tools. My thought in getting a safe is to stop the crack head looking for an easy score. Most safes should be able to do that.

Not sure if they'll have it again, but black Friday weekend last year I got a smokin' good deal on a Centurian (Liberty) Safe for $300 from Lowes of all places. May want to keep an eye out for that.

Again this is LAST years but I still glance at other safes now and am more and more happy with my purchase. Maybe they will offer it again. Lowes Black Friday Ad 2011 - Lowes black friday 2011, Lowes Black Friday Deals, Lowes Black Friday Ad

Wow! Great info. I never anchored mine thinking there was no need, its a browning weighing 900#. But i see the need now! Guess i never underestimate the determination of a theif! Thanks!

I've heard stories of safes "miraculously walking off." It doesn't necessarily take prior planning, just cunning. It would take little effort for two guys to back a truck up to a window, lean the safe through it onto the tail gate, slide it up and take off. It could literally take only 5 minutes depending on how long it takes them to notice the safe. Once it's out of there, they are "home free." Easily take it somewhere to a private garage and take their time prying the door off. Secure it and make it heavy so this isn't such an easy task. I like to save money in my investments, but no matter how much I save...I don't want to have to make the investment TWICE.:twocents:

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    As well as anchoring it down, make sure that you do not have any tools accessible to the thieves in the house or the garage that they could use to help themselves out.

I've heard experienced safe retailers say that only a stupid thief tries to go through the door. Ideally it's best to have a safe with at least 7 gauge thick steel, but those are out of the typical person's price range.

But bolting it down in a small inaccessible spot where they aren't able to move around and get much leverage is always best.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    As well as anchoring it down, make sure that you do not have any tools accessible to the thieves in the house or the garage that they could use to help themselves out.

I've heard experienced safe retailers say that only a stupid thief tries to go through the door. Ideally it's best to have a safe with at least 7 gauge thick steel, but those are out of the typical person's price range.

But bolting it down in a small inaccessible spot where they aren't able to move around and get much leverage is always best.
    Well, yeah if price weren't a factor most of us would probably have an awesome "gun cave" with displayed weapons everywhere and cool lighting like in the movies. ;)

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I have a friend who lives way out in the country on 30 acres of woodland. Beautiful place. He bought a gun safe a few years ago, put it in his bedroom, lagged it to the floor and the wall and filled it with his guns. He came home from work one day to find a huge hole in his wall. Somebody had backed up to the window, ran a chain or cable into the house, attached it to the safe and yanked the whole thing out through the wall.

I'm not trying to make a point, just telling the story. I guess if a BG wants something bad enough they will do anything to get it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have a friend who lives way out in the country on 30 acres of woodland. Beautiful place. He bought a gun safe a few years ago, put it in his bedroom, lagged it to the floor and the wall and filled it with his guns. He came home from work one day to find a huge hole in his wall. Somebody had backed up to the window, ran a chain or cable into the house, attached it to the safe and yanked the whole thing out through the wall.

I'm not trying to make a point, just telling the story. I guess if a BG wants something bad enough they will do anything to get it.
    It's not the first instance I've heard of such things. Indeed, any cabinet or safe is able to be stolen. In a rural setting such as that, it's even more likely a criminal will have the time to work on removing the safe and the tools necessary to do it as well. They are more or less meant to keep "an honest man, honest" as my dad would always say. A true criminal will still find a way if he is intent on doing so. That being said, is why I suggest taking as many precautions as you can in order to make it less feasible in the eyes of the intruder. Good story.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011

First off, just to be clear, this means in a corner with with the unhinged side by the wall.
    Not to sound smart but I was having a hard time visualizing this at first.
    This position severely limits the swing of a crowbar and hence the leverage.

As far as anchoring , I do have an amusing and embarrassing story. A few years back we moved from the peoples republic of Illinois to the gun owners paradise of Indiana.
    Of course that meant moving our 700lb fireproof safe. It was in the front room in a closet
    and only friends were aware of it's location. We decided to pull it out of the closet so that it
    would be easier to move the next day. After several minutes of tugging my wife asked if it
    was bolted down.
    " No way, I'd remember that" I stated.
    So my wife decided it was too heavy for me and recruited some high-schoolers that were walking by the house(she's not a bit shy)
    After several minutes of tugging it still did not budge. The boys said they had somewhere
    to be, we thanked them, and they left.
    By this time all the guns and ammo were out and on the couch in plain sight.
    I opened the safe for the third time to check for anchors and this time I remembered the false bottom! Alas it was bolted down! I removed two 3/8 lag bolts and was able to move it quite easily.
    Anchoring works, it is at least effective against 3 large football players and 1 forgetful
    fat middleaged Guy. I'm glad those boys left before I found the lag bolts....

RTM15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Great information on safes. Thanks for taking the time to post all that up. It makes me reconsider a few things about mine.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    First off, just to be clear, this means in a corner with with the unhinged side by the wall.
    Not to sound smart but I was having a hard time visualizing this at first.
    This position severely limits the swing of a crowbar and hence the leverage.

As far as anchoring , I do have an amusing and embarrassing story. A few years back we moved from the peoples republic of Illinois to the gun owners paradise of Indiana.
    Of course that meant moving our 700lb fireproof safe. It was in the front room in a closet
    and only friends were aware of it's location. We decided to pull it out of the closet so that it
    would be easier to move the next day. After several minutes of tugging my wife asked if it
    was bolted down.
    " No way, I'd remember that" I stated.
    So my wife decided it was too heavy for me and recruited some high-schoolers that were walking by the house(she's not a bit shy)
    After several minutes of tugging it still did not budge. The boys said they had somewhere
    to be, we thanked them, and they left.
    By this time all the guns and ammo were out and on the couch in plain sight.
    I opened the safe for the third time to check for anchors and this time I remembered the false bottom! Alas it was bolted down! I removed two 3/8 lag bolts and was able to move it quite easily.
    Anchoring works, it is at least effective against 3 large football players and 1 forgetful
    fat middleaged Guy. I'm glad those boys left before I found the lag bolts....

:laugh:
    Awesome story. LOL, lessons in humility can go a long way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom