• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    In one word I will summerize todays shooting.
    HUMBLING.
    My goal was paper plate accuracy at 250-300 yards and I came up short at 200....
    I am running a TacSol barrel in a Hogue overmold stock with a complete VQ match trigger. The scope is a Super Sniper 10x mil dot in Millet Tactical medium rings. Ammo was Wolf Match.
    Distance was verified with a Bushnell Elite 1500 Laser Range Finder.
    All shooting was done off an Eagle Hybrid Sniper Rifle Case with a sandbag rest for the front and a homemade sandsock used to support the rear. the chronograph was a digital ProChrono Shooting Chrony.
    here is the rifle and the how I had my firing position set up.
    setup.jpg

shootingpostition.jpg

I started out verifying my 25 yard zero.
    25zero.jpg

I then moved to 50 yards, and things just worked out that i had NO drop at this distance. The round must have been moving UP at 25 and happen to come down on the same arc so with this ammo my 25yard zero is the same as my 50 yard drop data.

here is 50 yards. the first was a group, and the second was 25 rounds semi-rapid fire... My fiance was watching so I had to show off:ar15:

50.jpg

5025shots.jpg

then i moved to 75 yards and my drop was 1.5 MOA

75.jpg

my drop to 100 yards was 5 moa without wind dialed in yet. it was about a 7 mile an hour half value wind.

100withwind.jpg

and this is what the targets look like at 100 with the naked eye

100target.jpg

my drop at 125 was 9.5 moa

125.jpg

my drop at 150 was 14 moa

150-1.jpg

and another rapid fire high volume group at 150 yards... i did this to verify my windage setting as bullet impacts were VERY hard to spot at this distance

150rapid.jpg

My drop at 175 was 18 moa

175.jpg

My drop at 200 was 22 moa... this is 44 inches of drop OVER 3 FEET!

200yard.jpg

I may have been able to get paper place accuracy to 250 but i ran into TWO problems....
    First is dont own a spotting scope YET.... at 200 i had to drive my truck to the target every 5 shots to verify drop data... this is why i called it quits....
    Second... my laser range finder started only displaying partial numbers so i couldnt accuragtly determin distance anymore which would defeat the purpose of shooting anymore.

I learned the reason that people say dont trust electronic equipment. had i been relying soley on the range finder i would have been hurting.

I also learned that my equipment is not capable of the accuracy i require. i will be building another .22 in pursuit of the 300 yard groups that i want.

In case it benefits anyone else my chronograph for wolf match showed an average velocity of 1046 FPS. a standard deviation of around 15 FPS and an extreme spread of 37 FPS average. this data was taken accross the course of 450 rounds of ammo from the same lot.

Stay tuned for the next one as i WILL get paperplate accuracy at 300 yards with a .22, just might have to be a bolt action though... i am looking into the Savage MK II FV or a remington 40x

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Is your goal hard to reach with a 10/22, or just super expensive? I have a slight 10/22 itch and I am trying to learn more when I can...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Is your goal hard to reach with a 10/22, or just super expensive? I have a slight 10/22 itch and I am trying to learn more when I can...

No, my goal is easily obtainable, i just went the wrong direction..... my 10/22 build was just a fun build at first and i wanted to see what it could do today.... a 10/22 is more than capable of twice the accuracy you see here with TWO changes... barrel, get a stainless varmint contour barrel preferably lija or green mountain or someone known for accuracy, and TWO get a more rigid stock that free floats the barrel.... a stainless reciever with TWO action screws would be FAR better than what i am running now so instead of spending another 500 bucks changing this set up around and selling the stuff i will take off i will just build a bolt action one which will give me better accuracy out of the box for less money.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I just bought a Savave mark II with heavy barrel, accu-trigger and ready for a scope. I will hopefully be able to pick it up on Monday.

Its a very nice gun if I say so myself. +1 to that idea.

Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Haven't really looked at anything just yet. I have a Center-Point 4-16X42 on my 30-06 and I might give it a try on the savage since I need to get the Center-point off my 30-06, LOL. Guess ill try it out and see what happens.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Very interesting report IGW. With your enthusiasm for the sport/art, I'm sure it will not take you long to reach your goal!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Well you thought it was gonna be the barrel, and it indeed was. I thought you would get a little better accuracy than you did at 200, but the paper doesn't lie. I applaud you for going for such a ambitious goal, and hopefully you can get there with your next build.

I do have a question though, at 100 and 125 you were right of center, guessing it was wind? Then at 150 you were back to the left, was this wind compensation? Because you seemed to continue to go back and forth of center, were you just trying different compensations each time, or could you just not quite get it right?
    I ask because I know you mentioned that wind correction was another thing you were trying to master with the 10/22.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Well you thought it was gonna be the barrel, and it indeed was. I thought you would get a little better accuracy than you did at 200, but the paper doesn't lie. I applaud you for going for such a ambitious goal, and hopefully you can get there with your next build.

I do have a question though, at 100 and 125 you were right of center, guessing it was wind? Then at 150 you were back to the left, was this wind compensation? Because you seemed to continue to go back and forth of center, were you just trying different compensations each time, or could you just not quite get it right?
    I ask because I know you mentioned that wind correction was another thing you were trying to master with the 10/22.

Supprised you noticed... yea the .22 is in my opionon probably the best way to learn wind, i was shooting at one target at at time so i couldnt figure out how much wind was blowing the round how far... the purpose of today was to get out as far as i could so i just dialed wind when i needed it and as wind changed i didnt adjust accordingly... however towards the end wind was almost a NON issue... i think i had 3 minutes of wind dialed in at one point in time but by the time the days shooting was over the scope showed that i had only .5 moa of wind dialed.... once i can start getting the accuracy i want i will start doping the wind as well.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When you get your chosen rifle figured out, show up in August for the LL Johnson Memorial Match at the FWRR club. Leonard Johnson was one of the premier smallbore rifle builders and shooters 50 or so years ago. His son runs the match.

The match consists of any 22 rifle at 200 yards and any centerfire rifle at 300 yards. For the Smallbore, you will see Kimber 82 Government, H&R Model 12, Rem 40X, Win 52, and any number of custom single shot bolt and low wall actions.

The 10-22, wonderful as it is, is just not good enough beyond 100 yards. Some guys shoot with scopes and some with iron sights. Doping the wind is absolutely critical either way.

The ground you are covering is not new ground. Others have already blazed the trail. Switch to an accurate single shot bolt gun with a premium barrel to minimize your frustration level.

2 MOA is a good goal. (disregarding wind)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    When you get your chosen rifle figured out, show up in August for the LL Johnson Memorial Match at the FWRR club. Leonard Johnson was one of the premier smallbore rifle builders and shooters 50 or so years ago. His son runs the match.

The match consists of any 22 rifle at 200 yards and any centerfire rifle at 300 yards. For the Smallbore, you will see Kimber 82 Government, H&R Model 12, Rem 40X, Win 52, and any number of custom single shot bolt and low wall actions.

The 10-22, wonderful as it is, is just not good enough beyond 100 yards. Some guys shoot with scopes and some with iron sights. Doping the wind is absolutely critical either way.

The ground you are covering is not new ground. Others have already blazed the trail. Switch to an accurate single shot bolt gun with a premium barrel to minimize your frustration level.

2 MOA is a good goal. (disregarding wind)

I understand completely its not a new trail... but its new for me... I dont want to spend tons of time and money on this 10/22 so i will be switing to a bolt and expect to accomplish my goal without near as many headaches...

Vette... wish you could have made it... ill be sure to bring the OAL guage next time.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Good post, if you are looking at a bolt gun I would recommend looking hard at a CZ .22 as they are very well regarded for accuracy out of the box. I would like one myself actually one of these days.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I dont want to spend tons of time and money on this 10/22 so i will be switing to a bolt and expect to accomplish my goal without near as many headaches...

I think many members don't realize either that this is a good set up to learn doping proceedures prior to whipping out High Cal. Center Fires.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    How deep is the rim recess in your bolt compared to the rim thickness of your ammo(read headspace)?

I put mine on the surface grinder and cut the bolt recess to .041" to match the ammo I was shooting - with no other changes, it cut my group sizes 25%.

That was zero headspace for that ammo exclusively, see how deep yours is compared to what you're shooting through it. If you haven't yet decided on ammo, and you've got some rim thickness variation, could still grind a few thousandths off to tighten it up a bit while allowing for some variation.

Doesn't take long to do on a disassembled bolt.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I've heard that weighing your ammo and shooting them in weight lots can help tighten up your groups. Also, was the wolf target the rifle's favorite stuff? Seems like at 300 yards any variables you can remove would go a long way to tightening up those groups .

Top Bottom