• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    There are always consequences to your actions/in-actions, legal and/or moral. Personal responsibility cannot be legislated only recognized and accepted. Make your own educated choices based on your needs and be man enough to accept the responsibility and consequences.

Exactly...

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Here are my thoughts. If I'm at home, I will make the determination on when to lock my guns up and when they can sit out in the open.

When I leave for an undetermined amount of time, that's when all guns that aren't with me get locked up. Let's face it. There are some bad people in this world, and there's always a chance of a break in. It would trouble me greatly if somebody were to obtain one of my guns then go four miles down the road and shoot someone.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    When I lock my house my guns are locked up. If you are in my house stealing I am not part of the problem

:yesway:

What I do with my firearms in my house is my business. If someone breaks in and steals my stuff, how is that my fault?

Most people probably "lock up" in those cheap locking cabinets that can be pried open with a simple screw driver anyway... how is that honestly much different than just keeping them in a case in a closet?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Here are my thoughts. If I'm at home, I will make the determination on when to lock my guns up and when they can sit out in the open.

When I leave for an undetermined amount of time, that's when all guns that aren't with me get locked up. Let's face it. There are some bad people in this world, and there's always a chance of a break in. It would trouble me greatly if somebody were to obtain one of my guns then go four miles down the road and shoot someone.

They can get into your safe as well. Would you feel bad then? If they break into my house and steal a gun laying on the couch I am not in the least concerned what they do with it, I have no control over that.

Do I need to lock up my hammers, knives, bats, etc....?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    They can get into your safe as well. Would you feel bad then? If they break into my house and steal a gun laying on the couch I am not in the least concerned what they do with it, I have no control over that.

Do I need to lock up my hammers, knives, bats, etc....?

Perhaps if all gun owners started locking their guns up when not at home, maybe we would have to start locking up hammers, knives, bats, etc. because we have just removed the most efficient weapon a criminal could use from their hands. In other words, why do I want your bat when you have provided me with a shotgun?

I'll also go out on a limb and say your tune would change if you had a gun stolen from your home, and the following week it was used to rob a store that members of your family were shopping at.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Perhaps if all gun owners started locking their guns up when not at home, maybe we would have to start locking up hammers, knives, bats, etc. because we have just removed the most efficient weapon a criminal could use from their hands. In other words, why do I want your bat when you have provided me with a shotgun?

I'll also go out on a limb and say your tune would change if you had a gun stolen from your home, and the following week it was used to rob a store that members of your family were shopping at.

No, my tune would not change. I might make sure I go through the extra steps of securing weapons for a little while then it would get old real quick moving guns in and out of the safe every time I left my house and I would start leaving a few of them out again.

If someone steals my tools and kills someone with them, even my own family, there is only one person I would blame.

So, if they get into your safe vs your house, what is the real world difference?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    How long would it take to gain entry into most homes? Probably a matter of minutes. How long would it take to gain entry into a solid safe? Probably a matter of hours. Most criminals aren't prepared nor are they willing to put in the time or effort to get into a safe. Why would you not put the odds of keeping your guns safe and off the streets more in your favor by owning a safe and using it?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, my tune would not change. I might make sure I go through the extra steps of securing weapons for a little while then it would get old real quick moving guns in and out of the safe every time I left my house and I would start leaving a few of them out again.

If someone steals my tools and kills someone with them, even my own family, there is only one person I would blame.

So, if they get into your safe vs your house, what is the real world difference?

If the world were sane, the only person anyone would blame is the thief/killer. Even if your guns were somehow stolen from the most secure vault, some people would still blame you.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    How long would it take to gain entry into most homes? Probably a matter of minutes. How long would it take to gain entry into a solid safe? Probably a matter of hours. Most criminals aren't prepared nor are they willing to put in the time or effort to get into a safe. Why would you not put the odds of keeping your guns safe and off the streets more in your favor by owning a safe and using it?

There are some really good YouTube videos on this subject. Most safes... especially the ones you'd think are great, and cost a fortune, are honestly a piece of junk. One minute with with a good prybar, or a circular saw and the correct blade and its all over.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    What I do inside my home (including how I store my possesions) is nobody's business but mine.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    He killed her in her sleep, he would have all day to get into the safe. If you are a man look in your garage. At least in mine a "top end safe" wouldn't stand a chance.

A bunch of you think a safe is some magical thing that someone will never get into. A safe is something that stops things from walking off while you are in the house that's about it. You people beating this drum cant tell me you have all your firearms locked up all the time unless they are in your hand.

Look at the guys safe in the video el cheapo safes. Look on youtube for people opening safes like a spam can with a can opener. Granted each manufacture claims theirs won't do that but they will gladly open everyone elses for you in minutes.

Everything this man said^

When I was a kid ( late seventies, early eighties) every friend's house I went into had a gun rack on the wall with the shells in a drawer just below it. My house had one as well.

Not only didn't we shoot each other, we used to get the guns down and "play" with them (play as in fondle them, admire them, finger bang them).

When my friends and I reached the ages of say 10 or 11, we were even allowed to take them out and shoot them by ourselves. We took them out in the woods not an 1/8 of a mile away from the local high school and would shoot for hours at a time.

My brother used to drive is truck to school in the early seventies and left his shotgun in the rack in the back window.

In 1985, guys at my high school brought shotguns to school in order to give a speech about hunting.

In 1983 a kid brought a .38 S&W snubby to school because he was afraid of some bullies. One day he was in school, the next day he was gone. We didn't see him again until a couple of years later. No big deal made about it, no constant hand-wringing to cries of "We've got to do SOMETHING!!!". He was just gone.

My whole point is, the more you make guns exotic or dangerous or taboo, the more bad people are going to be attracted to them.

Hollywood and the video game and recording industry certainly don't help matters by celebrating violence and anti-social behavior.

Rant off.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    Personally, I think yes if the failure rises to the level of "reckless disregard" of the risk. I am not comfortable with a "mere negligence" standard.

Since more people are killed with cars than guns, I guess the responsible car owner should keep their cars locked even in a locked garage and have a safe to store the keys in. Maybe we should put a "boot" on one of the tires whenever we park our car to prevent car thefts.
    And don't forget to purchase a safe to store your beer, wine and liquor.
    The anti's are doing everything they can to increase the cost of gun ownership both in time and money. Stating that a responsible gun owner should spend hundreds of dollars for a safe plus the hundreds for the firearm and ammunition and range time and training.
    Heck, let's just give up and sing kumbya.

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    he's half right, im not scared GI joes are gonna repel through my windows, but being aware that people might just break in is reasonable. Sometimes just carrying a gun around the house just doesnt work! like kids, their freinds, people in general just might freak out. Anyway i don't keep any guns loaded but near all my guns i have a loaded magazine hidden away. Seems pretty safe to me

Colarmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greater Fort Wayne Area
    1) though I fully intend to teach my kids (should I be fortunate enough to be blessed with them) well and fully how to operate my firearms as soon as they're old enough to do so, there are going to be kids in my house who aren't my kids, and kids tend to be pretty adept at vanishing acts. I grew up around guns which weren't secured and never touched one I shouldn't have, but I went plenty of places I shouldn't have, and touched plenty of other things I shouldn't have.

2) Frankly, I'm given to misplacing things, a gun is a bad thing to misplace, having a dedicated place to put my gun is a good way to avoid misplacing it.

My safe is a cheap biometric one, it won't give a thief much pause. But it'll stop a friend's over-curious two-year-old, and that's why I have it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This issue is going to come more to the forefront with gun sales reaching all time highs. It'll be interesting to see how much our cause is hurt by those naive to their responsibility to keep their weapons secured.

Food for thought;
    How many gun owners might decide to take matters into their own hands when their families are affected by other gun owners who failed to recognize, or even intentionally ignored, their responsibility?

Top Bottom