• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    the local police of terre haute say that to open carry is illegal but county and state say it is legal. i have read the legal briefs but wonder why the difference in views, is there a local law i am missing or are the local law not informed or dont want to deal with this. am i inviting getting cuffed or a felony stop if i open carry in this town. any suggestions or first hand knowledge??

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Great question and it has come up before on Glock Talk with no truly good answer. Known view in Terre Haute, and apparently there is no one with authority to tell the city different I guess.

No one has ever seen a law stating it is illegal, maybe that is the first step, having them prove that it is? Ask nicely to see where this is stated?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am not a lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so given that, here is my expert advice. The state of Indiana has a constitution that forbids local/home rule laws. Consequently state law would override any city and the state says that open carry is LEGAL.

It is very likely that if you OC in Terre Haute you will be arrested by the local police. It is also very likely that you will ultimately be released and ultimately receive an apology. However, it is also likely that you will spend some of your private funds defending yourself and proving your case in the judicial system. Will you get money out of the deal due to a 'false arrest' charge or some other thing. I doubt it. It is more likely the charges will be dropped somewhere in the process and the city will learn a lesson.

That said, your gun will be confiscated and may be returned in less than pristine condition.

Now, if you choose to make a point, the first thing I would do is contact a criminal defense lawyer and ask for a legal opinion. Then I would ask if he/she is willing to defend you in a test case and what it will cost. Make your choice after that.

OR, you could do some research at the state level and find all the laws that may apply. Then you could call the local PD (get names when you talk to them, record the day/time you talked to them, etc) and find out what the local PD says. Do NOT argue, simply ask them if it is illegal, and if so if that is based on state, county or city laws. Then ask them if they can cite the code. If not ask if they know who can. Again, do NOT argue, simply inquire.

Repeat the telephone process with the city prosecutors office, the county sheriffs office and the county prosecutor. TAKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF DETAILED NOTES.

Then, after you do that, write a letter to the editor. Do not mail it to the newspaper, post it here and ask for suggestions. Let people here help you edit/improve the letter. Then when you are satisfied that the letter is as good as you can get it, mail it to every newspaper in the county.

JMHO

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Glad someone has some ideas, there should be a way to fix this as they are basically getting away with making their own law, when there is none! Maybe a call from a state authority to the city could somehow be arranged to fix the city's stance?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's the deal with Terre Haute: the management of the police departments don't want you carrying a gun period. Many of the police officers agree.

They've been selling the lie about an alleged ordinance prohibiting open carry in Terre Haute for a long, long time, but when pressed to cite the ordinance, they can't do it. At least one city official (according to a report on GlockTalk) admitted there was no such ordinance.

The Terre Haute Municipal Code is online. You can read it from stem to stern and won't find a prohibition on open carry. That's because it does not exist.

Some of them are quite simply lying to you, because they know better. Some are ignorant, non-thinking dupes of their superiors and/or peers who simply parrot "what they've been told."

There is no ordinance. If anyone can find proof of one, please feel free to correct me.

Now, I shall delve into the conjecture portion of my tirade. It is my opinion that at least some of them float this lie about the non-existent ordinance to either cow you into submission, or failing that, to goad you into getting "excited" enough where they can arrest you for disorderly conduct. Again, the latter part is my conjecture, but since it has happened, I'm comfortable with it. :D

The bottom line:
    • It is not illegal to carry openly in Terre Haute, assuming you have a valid License to Carry Handgun or an equivalent from another state or country if you are a nonresident.
    • The police can and often will arrest you for whatever whim strikes their fancy if they think they can get away with it. Keep that in mind if you choose to carry openly there.
    Given all of that, I carry openly in Terre Haute as often as I can. I've never had a problem. I also have a planned response if I am accosted:
    • Be courteous.
    • Present my license to carry if the demand is made by an LEO.
    • Listen politely to the lies and/or ignorant drivel.
    • When it's my turn to speak, smile and say, "No, thank you. Am I free to go?"

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    any help is greatly appreciated

I welcome info and suggestions on this issue since I too originally came from the pri(peoples republic of illinois) and have been beat down that guns are bad, even though I am an army vet. I recently even quoted to a man I saw oc at the local Krogers store and said that I was sure that open carry is illegal, I owe him an apology. I usually cc but would like to oc if I felt like it so I welcome input from those who have already dealt with this issue. Thanks.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    quote.......
    state says that open carry is LEGAL.

I would respectfully/technically disagree. The Indiana Code does NOT specifically address open carry. By that omission, open carry is NOT illegal. Here's a link to the relevant Indiana code.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i have a few friends on thpd. i will holler at them and see if i can find anything out. let me say that for everything i have observed thpd is really one hell of a dept.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    As a resident of Terrible Haute, I can assure you this is one weird town in practically every respect.

I once talked with an experienced local LEO about open carry, and he informed me it made a lot of people nervous, and anyone doing so should expect to be stopped by police. The police insist that firearms be carried concealed to prevent their daily routines from being disrupted by calls made by paranoid yuppie soccer moms regarding someone carrying a gun, which they have to respond to. If they get called to check on the same individual open carrying a second time, they will make an arrest for failing to comply with a police order to carry concealed. This might not hold water in court. But it will definitely inconvenience the person who insists on open carrying.

I walk and bicycle throughout my neighborhood, which has two public schools. I am not about to do this while open carrying, because I don't want some hysterical ninny calling the police about seeing a man with a gun near a school, and I suddenly find myself confronted by a bunch of tactical ninjas pointing automatic weapons at me while mumbling Hooah, hooah, hooah. I would find this overeactive experience to be totally embarrassing to say the least. :rolleyesedit:

The local media twits are also responsible for constantly reinforcing anti-gun ignorance as well. Some of these ed-ju-cated idiots actually try to convince the general public that it's illegal to even own firearms, let alone carry them... And I've got news for Channel 10. I don't reside in the Peoples Republic of Illinois. And there is no such animal as "Illiana".

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Blessed are you who live in the land of the free. I wish I was there.
    (Visited there today - grand-daughter's HS graduation) Totally different feeling, knowing that I was in an AMERICAN state! The air even seemed fresher, cleaner.
    (Working on the move, must sell house first)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Blessed are you who live in the land of the free. I wish I was there.
    (Visited there today - grand-daughter's HS graduation) Totally different feeling, knowing that I was in an AMERICAN state! The air even seemed fresher, cleaner.
    (Working on the move, must sell house first)

Congrats to your granddaughter! I know exactly what you mean about that feeling... I got a call a couple of nights ago that instead of working in Terre Haute that day, my boss wanted me to go help out in Milwaukee. Oh, and could I be there by 0800 local time? (this was at 10PM, and I had to drive there-roughly 180 miles each way) So, at the end of this very long day, I'm driving back and yes, it's taking FOR-FREAKING-EVER to get out of Chicago, but when I finally saw the sign that said I was back in IN, I felt such relief to be back in free America! I do not ever want to have to visit the "belly of the beast" again, at least not before SCOTUS or the US Congress forces them to recognize the Right to Carry as part of Full Faith and Credit.

Blessings,
    B

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    foxxie....i talked to two different officers yesterday and got the same answer. both said there was a city ordinance against open carry. one has been with the dept 20 plus years, the other....well he's a d!<k, and would look for any reason to give someone a hard time. so both should be plenty knowledgeable

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i just have the benefit of knowing a few of the guys, its like any police force in a college town, with all the idiots they have to deal with they get impatient. couple that with the rising meth use in the area, and all the usual BS that comes with the job.

part of the issue was former politicians in office ect. last cheif was a bit spineless.their current police chief is a swat officer, and avid shooter, and a really good dude.we'll see what happens 3 years from now with a new mayor

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Congrats to your granddaughter! I know exactly what you mean about that feeling... I got a call a couple of nights ago that instead of working in Terre Haute that day, my boss wanted me to go help out in Milwaukee. Oh, and could I be there by 0800 local time? (this was at 10PM, and I had to drive there-roughly 180 miles each way) So, at the end of this very long day, I'm driving back and yes, it's taking FOR-FREAKING-EVER to get out of Chicago, but when I finally saw the sign that said I was back in IN, I felt such relief to be back in free America! I do not ever want to have to visit the "belly of the beast" again, at least not before SCOTUS or the US Congress forces them to recognize the Right to Carry as part of Full Faith and Credit.

Blessings,
    B

My daughter was showing me the house she is moving into right in town and also telling me about the businesses all around her that were hiring (at close to living wage!) - another good reason to make the move to FREEDOM!

I am so glad you made it through the land of oppression to FREEDOM, USA.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If they get called to check on the same individual open carrying a second time, they will make an arrest for failing to comply with a police order to carry concealed. This might not hold water in court. But it will definitely inconvenience the person who insists on open carrying.

No way it'd hold water. Also, if one had the time, inclination and a bit of cash to see it thru you could win a violation of civil rights suit should it actually happen and be awarded some cash for the trouble.

Next time I'm in Terre Haute I'll OC. ;)

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    No way it'd hold water. Also, if one had the time, inclination and a bit of cash to see it thru you could win a violation of civil rights suit should it actually happen and be awarded some cash for the trouble.

Next time I'm in Terre Haute I'll OC. ;)

I wonder what would transpire if say six, or half a dozen open carriers were to converge at one location that was sure to attract police attention?

Frankly, I don't think squat would happen if the open carriers maintained a dignified composure when the police arrived to lay down a law that doesn't actually exist to them. If the police insisted on creating a scene, the media might get wind of it, and with the unintentional assistance of these gun ignorant twits the lid on this issue might be popped off once and for all in favor of those who prefer to open carry.

Top Bottom