• ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Loading for an M1 Garand "Picture Added"

I know there are TONS of loads out there for the .30/06. I also know that there are TONS of loads out there for the M1 Garand as opposed to bolt guns and such.

Just wondering if there are those that shoot them on a regular basis that have any "pet" loads for them.

I am going to make up some Nosler BT 168gr loads for this puppy for taking hog hunting at some point. Wouldn't that be just too cool?

At any rate, thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Here it is! It is now sighted in for 100 yards and, this thing is accurate. First two shots were on the paper @ 50 yards, 3 clicks later, moved to 100 and 3 clicks up, 3 clicks right and center mass on a B27 target. Wrong kind of target for accurate work but, just a hair out of MOA with the stock sights! Now to build some ammo for it!

And, while this is a completely refurbished M1, the serial number puts it's birth date to November 1941! So, since I am a former Marine, and I got it on the UMSC's 237th birthday, I am going to assume that it was made on the 10th of November in 1941 (Just to keep things easy to figure) and that makes this rifle, 71 years old, exactly! ;)

BF224BC8.jpg

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My Accurate powder book has a Service rifle section. It covers the AR, M1A, M1. My favorite load for the Garand uses AA2015, But there are other loads that use less powder.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The loading reference above is trustworthy with the exception of the secound entry for the 168 grain bullets. It should say "IMR 4064". Just a note of warning, and it is in the fine print at the bottom, beware of what cases you are using. Unlike the untrue rumors about the 5.56 cases needing reduced charges due to interior case volume issues, the original 30-06 cases ARE smaller interior volume, needing less powder charge.
    Some of the foregin 30-06 cases are commercial interior dimensions, some are similar to US military. If in doubt, weigh several modern commercial 30-06 cases and then weigh several military. you will see a definite difference, don't even worry about 10ths of a grain. Now check your unknown cases. The M1 is probably strong enough, but with no pressure relief designed into the gas system, extra pressure does not do the op rod any good.
    The M1 is a very satisfying rifle to shoot, and a whole lot of fun.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    46.3 to 46.5 grains of H4895 works great for a 168 gr bullet. This load shoots at 2,620 fps and has a standard deviation of 25. I shoot the Hornady Amax bullet but the Nosler should prove to be just fine. This load is very accurate with sub moa results if i can do my part.

The Amax seats to 3.220 so if the Nosler seats deeper in the case then start a bit lower and work up.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The loading reference above is trustworthy with the exception of the secound entry for the 168 grain bullets. It should say "IMR 4064". Just a note of warning, and it is in the fine print at the bottom, beware of what cases you are using. Unlike the untrue rumors about the 5.56 cases needing reduced charges due to interior case volume issues, the original 30-06 cases ARE smaller interior volume, needing less powder charge.
    Some of the foregin 30-06 cases are commercial interior dimensions, some are similar to US military. If in doubt, weigh several modern commercial 30-06 cases and then weigh several military. you will see a definite difference, don't even worry about 10ths of a grain. Now check your unknown cases. The M1 is probably strong enough, but with no pressure relief designed into the gas system, extra pressure does not do the op rod any good.
    The M1 is a very satisfying rifle to shoot, and a whole lot of fun.

All of this is absolutely true. I get around this by downloading my 168's for the M1 to 2500 FPS. This works out to about, no more than, 45 grains of appropriate powder for the M1. That is around 2 grains less than maximum for most powders. It is a accurate speed for match shooting and won't beat up the rifle.

And the hog won't know he was just killed by a downloaded round.

I like IMR4064 if I have some. If I am out, I use R15. And I use 45 grains of either with 168 bullets. I shoot with really old-timers that have been using 2500 FPS as their speed goal for the M1 since the 1960's.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Pretty impressed today. Loaded up some surplus 150gr BT bullets with 50gr of Russian 4895. These were giving me 2730fps. Accuracy was exceptional! At 100 yards, I was keeping everything on a 6" black with stock sights and these old eyes! I was happy and I know I can do better.

The info I got with the Russian powder said to use it with IMR4064 data, so, that is just what I did and I am exstatic!

I also tood some of my Nosler BT ballistic tip bullets and loaded them to 47.7gr of the same powder. These showed 2630fps.

The HXP Greek ammo uses 150gr bullet and it showed 2700fps exactly. So, both of these loads are keepers! Good news!

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you have the time, go to the CMP forum and search for the topic "Plinking loads for M1?" You will find an interesting post suggesting using a Hornady 110 gr spire point of 125 gr Speer bullet and powder recommendations that are accurate out to 300 yards. The idea is that the accuracy and low recoil are very good.

Top Bottom