• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I just like that quotes sound more 'better' when using it.

But I have to look it up.
    Oh no doubt about that; everything sounds better in Latin.

Most Latin I see used is in phrases that are common enough that I just know the meaning of the entire phrase automatically, rather than actually translating the words, if that makes sense. This was actually the first time in recent memory where I saw a Latin quote and figured it out word by word.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Making a suggestion for mods to follow on this type of situation. Mod should turn on their video software with sound so we can view the finished product of the event including the commentary during the action. Anybody want to second this so we can get it in front of the committee for a vote?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Making a suggestion for mods to follow on this type of situation. Mod should turn on their video software with sound so we can view the finished product of the event including the commentary during the action. Anybody want to second this so we can get it in front of the committee for a vote?
    Second the motion.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Oh no doubt about that; everything sounds better in Latin.

Most Latin I see used is in phrases that are common enough that I just know the meaning of the entire phrase automatically, rather than actually translating the words, if that makes sense. This was actually the first time in recent memory where I saw a Latin quote and figured it out word by word.
    My family motto: Semper ubi sub ubi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    My family motto: Semper ubi sub ubi
    I heard that joke once before years ago. At that point I was studying Latin pretty seriously, and had actually got to the point where I wouldn't translate word by word in my head, but rather could understand a lot of things instinctively by just grasping the meaning of the words themselves without first putting it in English. As a result, I had a rather difficult time trying to understand the joke.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I heard that joke once before years ago. At that point I was studying Latin pretty seriously, and had actually got to the point where I wouldn't translate word by word in my head, but rather could understand a lot of things instinctively by just grasping the meaning of the words themselves without first putting it in English. As a result, I had a rather difficult time trying to understand the joke.
    I stole it from someone on an old Usenet board in the 90s . :)

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wasn’t time 7 posts, 54 minutes by the time he got ratted out n BT read the evidence it was over. Sy-o-Nara troll. Think it’s still up in the air if it was actually st. joe. Maybe not though I’m pretty slow.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's nothing fancy. Just a "Nope" and a few mouse clicks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom