• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well, that would make life easier for me because this is meant to be a hunting gun and a bear defense. So that being said to buy one round that does both is ideal since I am getting a red dot don’t have to worry about switching poi
    Yeah the old timers used the WFNGC Hard Cast bullets years ago with good success. Now days people want the latest hunting bullets and have forgotten the older ones that worked.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yeah the old timers used the WFNGC Hard Cast bullets years ago with good success. Now days people want the latest hunting bullets and have forgotten the older ones that worked.

Well I never shoot with “questionable” backstops and I am tired of not getting pass throughs makes tracking a bear.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Springfield XDM Elite compact. My first range session with it was 200 rounds, and I felt that for a couple of days. I did feel confident carrying it after that as it was accurate and ran flawlessly.

Finding 10mm on the shelf if a disappointing exercise, however. I don't reload so if you're in the same boat you'll get good at internet ammo scrounging. I hope the increase in popularity will result in more on the shelves. I find .30 Super Carry everywhere. Let's go manufacturers!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I was under the impression the hard cast wasn’t a good choice for hunting. Due to lack of expansion ? I found 220 hard cast
    Hardcast bullets do one thing extremely well, penetrate. Most of that penetration is wasted on thin skinned, deer sized game. If you're willing to live with a less than ideal blood trail they will work but why limit your effectiveness when there are modern bullets that penetrate and expand?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Hardcast bullets do one thing extremely well, penetrate. Most of that penetration is wasted on thin skinned, deer sized game. If you're willing to live with a less than ideal blood trail they will work but why limit your effectiveness when there are modern bullets that penetrate and expand?
    Because I will have a rds and the expanding ammo (for deer) is all 180 grain bear country ammo is all 200-220 grain. I am no expert, until I get ammo in hand all I can do is research. But from my reading poi will be very different for the two different projectiles this all could prove moot once I actually shoot and they are closer than I’m being led to believe.

And my blood trail with modern ammo has been crap also. Because a lot of shots aren’t pass throughs.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Because I will have a rds and the expanding ammo (for deer) is all 180 grain bear country ammo is all 200-220 grain. I am no expert, until I get ammo in hand all I can do is research. But from my reading poi will be very different for the two different projectiles this all could prove moot once I actually shoot and they are closer than I’m being led to believe.

And my blood trail with modern ammo has been crap also. Because a lot of shots aren’t pass throughs.
    There's no reason to shoot 180 grain loads for deer and 200+ grain loads for bear. If you absolutely must use heavy bullets, a 180 grain fmj is plenty for bear and should shoot pretty close to point of impact to a 180 grain hollow point. Better yet, use 150 grain Barnes for both. Not all modern bullets are the same, Barnes bullets set the standard for penetration and expansion.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    There's no reason to shoot 180 grain loads for deer and 200+ grain loads for bear. If you absolutely must use heavy bullets, a 180 grain fmj is plenty for bear and should shoot pretty close to point of impact to a 180 grain hollow point. Better yet, use 150 grain Barnes for both. Not all modern bullets are the same, Barnes bullets set the standard for penetration and expansion.
    Are we talking about big bears or the big raccoons close to us? Lol

I am not a reloader who loads Barnes factory ammo?? Any links would be greatly appreciated. Slide is being milled now so no hurry on the ammo.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Are we talking about big bears or the big raccoons close to us? Lol

I am not a reloader who loads Barnes factory ammo?? Any links would be greatly appreciated. Slide is being milled now so no hurry on the ammo.
    In the realm of dangerous game, bears are neither all that big nor particularly tough. They have been stopped/killed by 9mm and .45 acp as well as a least one with a .22 short. It really doesn't take all that much penetration to make it through a bear's skull.

Barnes themselves loads ammo but while it is somewhat reasonably priced, it is also pretty anemic. Buffalo Bore also loads them and they are anything but anemic. Also, anything but cheap. For cheaper, more conventional alternatives check out the Sig V Crown 180 or grn, the Underwood Nosler 180 grn, or the Speer Gold Dot 200 grn. It you really want to maximize penetration most of these companies offer a fmj as well in the same weights. IMO, that's not really necessary since all of these bullets penetrate around 20" in ballistic gel and expand to .65-.75".

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    In the realm of dangerous game, bears are neither all that big nor particularly tough. They have been stopped/killed by 9mm and .45 acp as well as a least one with a .22 short. It really doesn't take all that much penetration to make it through a bear's skull.

Barnes themselves loads ammo but while it is somewhat reasonably priced, it is also pretty anemic. Buffalo Bore also loads them and they are anything but anemic. Also, anything but cheap. For cheaper, more conventional alternatives check out the Sig V Crown 180 or grn, the Underwood Nosler 180 grn, or the Speer Gold Dot 200 grn. It you really want to maximize penetration most of these companies offer a fmj as well in the same weights. IMO, that's not really necessary since all of these bullets penetrate around 20" in ballistic gel and expand to .65-.75".
    Thank you. I say bear for out west big bears. But moose bison wild
    Boar etc are all of concern. This is not going to be plinking ammo.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well I never shoot with “questionable” backstops and I am tired of not getting pass throughs makes tracking a bear.
    The 200gr WFNGC Hard Cast bullets will definitely give you two holes which leak, and Good blood trail in deer sized game.

WFNGC bullets
    1660655671904.png

FP bullets
    1660655816441.png

As you can see they are very different. The WFNGC style does a lot more cutting and damage. My understanding is they literally cut a hole through whatever they hit.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

That buffalo bore says low recoil low flash for self defense then refers to other loads they produced for hunting

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Have you ruled out any of the Underwood Extreme penetrators?
    A good option for bear defense but they could potentially run afoul of the prohibition against using FMJ bullets for deer hunting. I'd get an interpretation from DNR before hunting with them.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The only 10mm I own is a Bond Arms Derringer. Had absolutely no good reason to buy one but that's never stopped me before. The good thing is that the barrels are interchangeable, so I'm not just limited to 10mm.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    A good option for bear defense but they could potentially run afoul of the prohibition against using FMJ bullets for deer hunting. I'd get an interpretation from DNR before hunting with them.
    That's a very good point. Like I have tried to tell people, you can't have it all. Everything with guns is a compromise one way or the other.

Top Bottom